Sign in to follow this  
mike67

Another Krylon makeover

mike67

My '73 8hp-4spd. What I started with and what I have now.

post-8901-0-59238100-1368132349.jpg

post-8901-0-32248400-1368132362.jpg

Not done yet, need to tidy up the wiring, recover the seat,etc. and I know the hood decal is the wrong one but it's better than nothing.

• Like 4

doc724

Wow,, it looks like a lot of painstaking work went into this restoration.  A very nice job indeed.

KC9KAS

You really did a great resto job...It looks nice.

Trouty56

What color Krylon is that????

Jake Kuhn

Very nice! I'm very happy when I see a horse like that saved. Wish I could find someone for my c111 but I guess its probably gonna get parted. Everything is there other than a motor. :(

mike67

Thanks for all the compliments. The paint is Krylon Cherry Red paint and primer in one. It was a labor of love and a great winter project.  

Here are a couple pics during the resto:

post-8901-0-70654700-1368138932.jpg

post-8901-0-76347000-1368138959.jpg

post-8901-0-40479500-1368139064.jpg

• Like 1

Trouty56

Well that looks pretty dang good.  I never used the Krylon....might have to give it a go on my next paint subject.  Does it cover good??

mike67

Well that looks pretty dang good.  I never used the Krylon....might have to give it a go on my next paint subject.  Does it cover good??

It covers ok. I used about 6 cans and some areas could use another coat. I went pretty heavy on the frame though.

armyvetwh

the krylon cherry red is the same color that they suggested for my snapper restoration. now my project is a wheel horse. the same model as mike 67 just got through doing. wish me luck.

VinsRJ

Looks great! Now on to the next WH, LOL!

Wishin4a416

Very nice job and it looks great!!

Kevbo

Nice!!! I like that cherry red color...I have been using Regal Red by Rustoleum and am not 100% pleased with the shade of red...it looks a little "orange" in bright sunlight but does seem to match the color of the 1980s Wheel Horses pretty well.

Ok paint experts! What is your opinion on using Krylon Cherry Red in regard to how it matches the original Wheel Horse paint? I dig that darker red...

armyvetwh

i found a an area under the hood of my wheel horse and used a buffing compound on it to restore close to the natural color. then i pulled a flaking piece from that area and took it to a paint shop about a hour away(the closest one i could find that does color matching for automobile's). they told me they could make the color precisly. it will cost me $45 a gallon for a semi-gloss. if i  want it in a gloss it will cost another $25(they add a chemical that they use on aircraft). i was told if done right i could drop a 16 oz hammer from 4 feet and it would not chip the paint. :confusion-scratchheadblue:

mike67

the krylon cherry red is the same color that they suggested for my snapper restoration. now my project is a wheel horse. the same model as mike 67 just got through doing. wish me luck.

Good luck and have fun with the resto. Working on this old iron is a great way for me to relax and get 'me' time.

Looks great! Now on to the next WH, LOL!

Thanks. I'm trying to talk a retired co-worker out of his '74 WH. If I get it there will be pics.

Very nice job and it looks great!!

Thank you!

Nice!!! I like that cherry red color...I have been using Regal Red by Rustoleum and am not 100% pleased with the shade of red...it looks a little "orange" in bright sunlight but does seem to match the color of the 1980s Wheel Horses pretty well.

Ok paint experts! What is your opinion on using Krylon Cherry Red in regard to how it matches the original Wheel Horse paint? I dig that darker red...

When I was doing the resto, the original paint on the bottom half of the steering column was covered with old grease and in great shape. I taped it off when I painted and was surprised to see it almost looked orange-ish next to the Krylon. I'll try to get a good pic this weekend

mike67

... drop a 16 oz hammer from 4 feet and it would not chip the paint. :confusion-scratchheadblue:

Might dent the metal though, huh?

armyvetwh

It might do that, but the old machines were built tougher then to. Now days it might scratch the plastic. :laughing-rofl:  :happy-jumpeveryone:

• Like 1