Sign in to follow this  
halseyn

C-120 Front Axle

halseyn

Hope someone can shed some light on this issue. I have a 1976 C120 auto, my problem is that I think it  does not have the correct front axle.  My other B wheelhorse tractors have a bolt in each spindle axle that holds the rim on, this has a cotter key.  Also,  I noticed the axle pin is not in place, the prior owner fashioned a homemade pin to attach the axle assembly to the frame,  I bought the correct pin, but it will not quiet fit.  There is alot of shimming that will have to take place to get the play out of the whole front end.

I don't have a camera at the moment to attach pictures.

rmaynard

Some C's had bolts, some retainer clips, and others cotter pins. I've seen all three.

The pin should be 3/4" with a tab on the back to bolt it in place. The holes in the axle and frame should be 3/4" as well. If the axle is worn, they are readily available (I have 4 of them laying on the floor of my garage). The axles are all the same throughout the entire series.

Edited by rmaynard

halseyn

Thank you for your input. The pin is 3/4" with the tap, but I'm off just a fraction to get the retaining clip on. the axle looks to be correct (as compared to my other tractors a B-80, B-100 and SK-486).  I don't believe the axle is worn, it's just the undersized axle pin used caused slop in the assembly.  The spindle shaft that attaches to the axle has about 1/8" gap underneath the retainer clip, that is not normal is it?

My other tractors are tight.

Don1977

On your axle pin the plates may have spread out due to the axle twisting. Place a C-clamp on each side of the plates. That should pull it enough to install the clip. As for the spindles have extra room at the top is normal. Mine are like that, it doesn't hurt anything.