Sign in to follow this  
brandonozz

A little pair of vice grips could have saved me a bunch of trouble

brandonozz

Well, here is one I will remember next time.  Found some Carlile ags (a bit old and dry) with rusty rims .  Take to the tire shop and break them down, sandblast the rims, get them painted, new tubes installed and tires re-mounted and filled with air.  They look pretty good if I don't say so myself.

Tonight I start to fill them with fluid and get about 3.5 gallons in and take the hose off the valve stem and the weight of the fluid in the tubes is pulling the tube down and with it the valve stem!  I don't realize the stem is getting pulled into the rim until it's too late.

What a bone headed move!!!!    Won't do that again!!!!  This was my face exactly when I saw the stem slipping into the abyss :eusa-think:

Got the second tire loaded without any problems by putting some vice grips on the valve stem to keep the stem from falling into the rim until I got the core in and some air in the tube.

Going to be looking for a tool to screw into the stem (where the core screws in) so I can pull it back out but I'm afraid it isn't going to be easy as the stem is cocked to the side.

Do I get the award for Dummy of the day? 

Don1977

That's why farm tractors have a nut on the valve stem to secure it from pulling in.

big mike

I fill directly into the tire and don't worry with tubes.

brandonozz

Jim,

I have that exact tool but it's not long enouge to get to the tube.  i need something about 3 to 4".

Mike,

I installed tubes because the tires are old and a bit dry.  I dont think they would hold air without leaking and I really don't want a mess in my garage.  If they leak a bit of air thats not a problem but fluid all over the garage would be!

Don1977

If you haven't got the valve stem in get a big tub and drain out enough to brake the bead and get the stem out. I check out a valve stem a size 10 - 32 treads per. inch will screw down inside three treads and hold any further will strip the stem. Finding one long may be a problem and getting the stem lined up won't be any fun either.

brandonozz

Don,

I found the bolt and tried to get it screwed in but its just too short.  Going to take to work tomorrow and weld a 3" extension on so it will get down far enough.  I will see how hard it is to pull back out but I think your right and I will need to drain the fluid and get the weight out or I might strip the threads.

I just didn't see that one coming and I don't mind sharing my ignorance with the world if someone else can keep from making the same mistake.

Live and learn... !

brandonozz

Well guys I got the tire all fixed up.  What I did was weld an extension to a bolt that would screw into the valve core threads.

Don - I think the bolt was a 8-32 but I'm not sure you might be right on the 10-32 as the guy at the parts store went into the back to get me one.

I was able to thread the bolt into the valve stem and then set the tire over a bucket in case it poured out or gravity didn't work for me this time.  Turned it over and gently pulled on the bolt and it slid right into the hole - :techie-eureka:

For the most part, gravity pushed the stem in I just used the bolt to guide it.

Don1977

Glad you got it fixed. I tried both the 8-32 and the 10-32 both will catch i just though the 8-32 would strip out if you pulled hard on it.

slufoot733

Don't feel bad. I had the same issue with BOTH rear tires on my D. Had to have them both broken down and fish out the valves.

953 nut

Gravity takith away and gravity givith back, aint that the way! Glad it all worked out.

:USA: 

Duff

Ayuh, but without gravity, adding weight to the wheels would be next to useless, dontchaknow!  :ychain:

Duff :thumbs: