Sign in to follow this  
wheelhorsin1974

gear oil

wheelhorsin1974

I just cleaned a bunch of grease and grass off the top of my trans and was careful not to hit it to hard with a hose. After a dry off run i pulled the dipstick and the oil seemed a bit foamy. Not a lot. I always check it before running not after. Maybe its always like that after a mowing. Im just paranoid now that there may be some water in there now. Is this normal to see in a just run tranny????

Forest Road

That's normal. Check it before use. It's a good idea to change every 2 - 5 years. Also check your shifter boot if torn spend $5 on a new one. Don't lose any sleep over it!

wheelhorsin1974

Thanks for your response. Ill keep an eye on it but my dad said the same thing u did. Normal for a little bit of color difference after use. Looks fine now that its been setting for a while. I feel a bit better now. Lol. Thanks again. Boot has some small weather cracks but not major.

rmaynard

When was the last time you drained, flushed and refilled the transmission? It is normal for cast iron transmissions to get some moisture in them from condensation, and water will get in through the boot if left in the weather. But the color of good oil should not appear milky. Let the transmission sit for a couple of days and check it again. The water should have had a chance to settle to the bottom. If it is still foamy or milky, it may be time for a flush, refill and a new boot.

JimmyJam

The shifter boot on my B-80 is really cracked and worn. Where do guys get new ones?

wheelhorsin1974

Not milky at all. Just has some real fine bubbles all thru it and has a yellowish tint. Looks good and clear before use. Was just serviced before i bought it and seems nice and clean. Thanks

Jimmyjam check parts tree.com

JimmyJam

Thanks. I will check out parts tree.Just curious: What is your gear oil of choice?

rmaynard

Recommended oil is SAE 90-140 API Service GL5 Gear Lubricant.

JimmyJam

Thanks Bob. Any particular brand over another?

bowtieguy

JimmyJam...my Toro/Wheel Horse dealer keeps the boot in stock...I found out that Toro automatically restocks them for the dealer when they order 3 or more......30 years ago I thought ONE boot was all that I'd need!!!.....should have bought them by the case lot!!!

JimmyJam

bowtieguy: Do you remember how much you paid for the boot at Toro? How often should you change them out?

rmaynard

Thanks Bob. Any particular brand over another?

What ever is on sale at Wal-Mart today.

bowtieguy

Less than 5 bucks....how often do I change em'?....heck, as old as I am ONCE is about all I need!!! :scratchead: ....ain't that right, Tom B. in KS!!!

tbbahner

I can't count the number of tranny's that I drained 60% water out of. Couple flushes and good as new.

Only once Frank??? Don't be so pesimistic, I know your not over 90 yet, that's just judging by looks of course :).