Sign in to follow this  
wh17

K series compression release help

wh17

I have a k321 kohler and I got a reground cam for pulling and I accidentally broke the compression release off and the engine won't turn over with out it so I was wondering if there was a way to fix it thanks

stevasaurus

If it was me, I would send a PM to "TT" moderator.  There is a chance he will see the thread, but I would not take that chance...if he does not know the answer...Red Square is doomed...not really, but he will know the answer or where to go to figure it out. :):bow-blue:

MarkPalmer

I'm not sure what is meant by broke the compression release. Was it broken before the cam was installed in the engine, or after the engine ran?

-Mark-

wh17

The pieces that sticks out was up to high and I broke it before it was in the engine

MarkPalmer

Are you referring to the finger that holds the exhaust valve open shown here? 

459636_589927744360463_213369866_o.jpg

-Mark-

wh17

yes

MarkPalmer

Without the finger the compression release won't activate.  But the engine should still be able to crank over and start without it.  The battery needs to be strong and the starter needs to be in good condition (probably near perfect condition if it's a high compression ratio pulling engine) to pull the engine through the compression stroke.  When the ACR is deactivated (or the finger is missing) the lifter just rides on the outer edge of the cam lobe.  If you can't get your starting system to work due to the cam being ground, you'll need to replace the cam with one having a functioning ACR system.  I don't think there is any practical or trustworthy way to repair that finger if it is broken. 

-Mark-