Sign in to follow this  
W9JAB

SEVEN THINGS A NEW WHEEL HORSE OWNERSHOULD KNOW

MarkPalmer

Great post, especially the paragraph regarding engine speed.  A lot of people are afraid to run at full throttle setting because they think it is taxing the engine too much or is making it use too much gas.  These small engines are governed to a top speed.  If it’s governed to 3600 RPM, and you put it at full throttle setting, 3600 is as fast as its going to go, and it should stay there under varying loads.  It’s not really full throttle so to say, because the governor moves the throttle plate back to regulate the engine speed, so it’s not nearly the same as dropping the gas pedal of your car to the floor in neutral and killing it.  Full throttle setting provides the best power, best cooling for both cylinder and oil for maximum life, and the best efficiency.  I’ll admit I do use part throttle for puttering around the yard now and then so I don’t make so much noise, but for any work like mowing or plowing you need to open it up all the way. 

-Mark-

• Like 1

KATO

:woohoo:  :greetings-clappingyellow:  :greetings-clappingyellow:

squonk

Wear shoes around the open PTO belts!!!!

Don1977

That full throttle on and 8 speed you better be real easy with the clutch if you don't want 600# of tractor in your face.

JackC

Wear shoes around the open PTO belts!!!!

Even more important, wear pants and keep your fly zippered.

W9JAB, Thanks for the post and the reminders. We should have those made into the 7 commandments for wheel horse owners.

dsholler

That full throttle on and 8 speed you better be real easy with the clutch if you don't want 600# of tractor in your face.

I do not want to derail an excellent thread, but this has always bothered me. I have a "grabby" clutch (belt is worn, no doubt) and have popped it many times and gotten that rising frontend sensation, but there is no way I was anywhere close to actually lifting it high enough to turn over, and I doubt any of the engines we have in these things combined with the transmissions could do so, except if you had already jacked the thing way up.  Is this really a caution that can hurt you, or just something that can surprise you if you are not expecting it. ?

chevyaddict83

I do not want to derail an excellent thread, but this has always bothered me. I have a "grabby" clutch (belt is worn, no doubt) and have popped it many times and gotten that rising frontend sensation, but there is no way I was anywhere close to actually lifting it high enough to turn over, and I doubt any of the engines we have in these things combined with the transmissions could do so, except if you had already jacked the thing way up. Is this really a caution that can hurt you, or just something that can surprise you if you are not expecting it. ? I know on my c120 hydro, if you knuckle it, the front end can come up2-3 feet, giving you that "pucker" factor you thought you forgot. :o

Sent from my 416-8

thehorse

I always shift the machine at a lower throttle speed (8 speed) and also when engaging the PTO.

scWHhauler

Super great post :happy-jumpeveryone: 

Trouty56

I flipped an 856 on me once. It can happen.

ericj

the front end may not ever flip over , most of the times it will spin but every now and then when conditions are just right.........

eric j

entropy

Thanks for the post, big help to a new owner. I ran my lawn at 2500rpm and seemed good, but then forum members chimed in about running at 3500rpm and sure enough the manual states just that.

tunahead72

Excellent thread, Joe, but there really should be EIGHT things to know:

8.  RedSquare is your best friend! :)

puddlejumper

I do not want to derail an excellent thread, but this has always bothered me. I have a "grabby" clutch (belt is worn, no doubt) and have popped it many times and gotten that rising frontend sensation, but there is no way I was anywhere close to actually lifting it high enough to turn over, and I doubt any of the engines we have in these things combined with the transmissions could do so, except if you had already jacked the thing way up.  Is this really a caution that can hurt you, or just something that can surprise you if you are not expecting it. ?

I have never felt like one would come over with the mower deck on flat ground but a bare tractor. You better be carefull because there is more guys than just me that have reared them over backwards and that doesnt just apply to the manual tractors, I was being raunchy on a charger ten checking out the hydro and if I had not had a hold of the motion lever when it stood staight up and started over backwards it would have been on top of me but as luck would have it as I went back I pulled the motion controll lever into reverse and it liked to have jarred my eyeteeth loose when it slammed the front wheels back on the ground.

Irv

In the right conditions they can come back on you, especially if you're on and incline.

Jake Kuhn

never.....EVER mess with the springs on a jd 112 variable speed system! don't ask me how I know. :hide::ROTF:

There's a reason I have horses!

Edited by Jake Kuhn

KC9KAS

Very good information. Thank you Joe.

AMC RULES

Excellent information to include on a maintenance decal Joe.   :handgestures-thumbsup: 

leeave96

Seven other things new Wheelhorse owner should know:

1. First tractor isn't the last one.

2. Second tractor isn't the last one.

3. Third tractor isn't the last one.

4. Fourth tractor isn't the last one.

5. Fifth tractor isn't the last one.

6. Sixth tractor isn't the last one.

7. Seventh tractor isn't the last one and you may need a bigger garage... ;)

Edited by leeave96
  • Like 5

Kevbo

Seven other things new Wheelhorse should know:

1.  First tractor isn't the last one.

2.  Second tractor isn't the last one.

3.  Third tractor isn't the last one.

4.  Fourth tractor isn't the last one.

5.  Fifth tractor isn't the last one.

6.  Sixth tractor isn't the last one.

7.  Seventh tractor isn't the last one and you may need a bigger garage... ;)

So true...

MarkPalmer

Remember the wheel horse clutch isn't really a clutch, just a pulley tensioner so it's ok to ride it a little when taking off in a high gear which should prevent front end lift.  Also, when you look at the HP vs. torque curves on small engines there is less torque available when the engine is at full governed speed vs. part throttle, thus wheelies on takeoff come more from the gearing and clutching than they do the speed of the engine. 

-Mark-

papaglide

Regarding the wheel horse clutch: is it ok to ride it to control speed like when backing to an implement or trailer? Can any harm come from riding it to slow down around corners and such?

Lane Ranger

Great post thanks for sharing this valuable information to a "new"  Wheel Horse owner!

PS:   I would add -no need to mow the lawn in third gear at full throttle  !   THIS IS For MY Brother!!

MarkPalmer

Regarding the wheel horse clutch: is it ok to ride it to control speed like when backing to an implement or trailer? Can any harm come from riding it to slow down around corners and such?

I use the clutch quite a bit to control speed moving around things.  No real harm to be done, as stated earlier it's not really a clutch just a belt tensioner. The extra wear to the belt would be insignificant, and belts are relatively cheap anyway. 

-Mark-