Fordiesel69

Cost to sleeve a kohler block.

Fordiesel69

To keep these engines running forever, what is a typical cost to sleeve a tired out block?  And does it last afterwards?  Some engines do not take well to sleeving because of thermal transfer & expensansion cycles.  Never heard of anyone doing it because of what I assume to be high cost.

SousaKerry

Don't know about the cost but the availability of replacement blocks is pretty good for the most part with Kohlers, unless it is something rare like the 18HP overhead valve single cylinder K series, not sure if it would be worth it.

Try this website tons of great information

http://gardentractorpullingtips.com/engine.htm

MarkPalmer

I am also curious if anyone has ever sleeved a K single.  I know it can be done, but I wouldn't see why anyone would do it when good bare STD or .010 over blocks are still easy to find, and most machine shops only charge $50-60 to overbore and machine hone a block. Even the 18 HP OHV K361 block isn't hard to find- just the likely scavenged cam is :) 

-Mark-

oldredrider

I recently had a K-341 sleeved. It was already at .030 over and had bad scoring. It cost $78.00 for the sleeve and all machine work.

Haven't assembled it yet but I don't see any reason it won't last as long as a typical bore job.

Plus, I can bore it three more times.

I only have one more motor to put together before this one, so shouldn't be long before this is up and running.

R. L. Addison

I am running a sleeved K321 and have had no issues with it so far. Don't have a lot of run time on it yet, but so far so good.  

Texas Todd

@oldredrider can you give us an update on  your sleeved K341?

• Like 1

oldredrider

I've been running the sleeved motor for years now. Runs as smooth as a new one. This is on a C-160 auto and I run it hard. Wouldn't hesitate to sleeve another one if needed.

• Like 3

Texas Todd

Thank you @oldredrider. Did you use after-market piston and rod or genuine Kohler?

oldredrider

Aftermarket all the way. I've got a great machinist and he bores/hones to my specs; slightly tighter than Kohler. This combination (after market parts and good machinist) has worked extremely well over the years and made many people happy.

• Like 3

GREYGHOST

Oldredrider, one more question for ya. Where or who is your outlet for the after market parts? Thanks

Brent

oldredrider

I get them off ebay.  Bakt4kids is the seller. Ships fast and answers all questions by phone.

• Like 2

Searcher60
On 5/8/2013 at 4:38 PM, oldredrider said:

I recently had a K-341 sleeved. It was already at .030 over and had bad scoring. It cost $78.00 for the sleeve and all machine work.

Haven't assembled it yet but I don't see any reason it won't last as long as a typical bore job.

Plus, I can bore it three more times.

I only have one more motor to put together before this one, so shouldn't be long before this is up and running.

What machine shop are you using? The one I talked to about sleeving wanted 2-3 times that for a 341 sleeve job.

oldredrider

My machinist is a one man shop.  He specializes in engine rebuilding for vintage and antique cars. 

He also has a love for Wheel Horses!

• Like 2

pfrederi
3 hours ago, Searcher60 said:

What machine shop are you using? The one I talked to about sleeving wanted 2-3 times that for a 341 sleeve job.

I think being SF may have something to do with the price differential...Lived there 41 years ago..even then labor rates at car repair shops were almost $35 hour

Searcher60
3 hours ago, pfrederi said:

I think being SF may have something to do with the price differential...Lived there 41 years ago..even then labor rates at car repair shops were almost $35 hour

Nope, that price was in Richmond, Va.. The going rate for just a bore job on a Kohler is $75. Nobody is going to furnish and install a sleeve for $78.