Sign in to follow this  
racin_ny

Is there any fix for a Kohler Magnum 14 Carb with wear between the throttle shaft and carb body?

racin_ny

Does anyone have a fix for a Kohler Magnum 14 Carb with wear between the throttle shaft and carb body?

htopjimmy26

I believe that Kohler or perhaps Brian Miller has a throttle shaft rebush kit.

Don1977

I think it needs to be a Carter or Kohler carburetor to have the place there for the bushings. I believe the other carburetors have to be machined to receive the bushings.

big mike

I have reamed the body and made a new throttle shaft to save some carbs that would have otherwise been parts. 

Fordiesel69

Can these be oiled regularly to prevent wear?  Or will this make create more dust and wear faster?

MarkPalmer

Oil won’t help it.  There is always a small amount of clearance there, and the oil would just be sucked in past it when the engine is running.  These wear very gradually over time, as when the engine is running under throttle the governor is constantly making slight adjustments to the position of the throttle plate to regulate engine speed. 

-Mark-

racin_ny

Yeah I probably should mention this engine has like 1080 hours or so on it.

Edited by racin_ny

stevebo

I have more than normal slop on one of my carbs. What will be the specific results and/or conditions this will cause? Will it make adjustment of high and low speeds not possible? 

bowtieguy

Someone gave me this tip years ago...remove shaft, instal an O-ring on shaft...re-install shaft...worked fine for me on a 14 hp Kohler :twocents-02cents:

racin_ny

I have more than normal slop on one of my carbs. What will be the specific results and/or conditions this will cause? Will it make adjustment of high and low speeds not possible? 

Hey Steve,

What happened to me is it finally got bad enough that it would only stay running at about 1/2 throttle. And it took almost full throttle and full choke to get it started.

Hope this helps.

tunahead72

I've only had one carb that was really bad this way, and the main result was that I couldn't properly adjust the high and low mixture screws.  The carb seemed to adjust its own mixture as the engine ran and I adjusted the throttle lever.  I was never able to get a nice even high speed, or a smooth change from low to high engine speeds.  I turned it over to a neighbor who used to be a Wheel Horse mechanic, not sure what he did at the time, probably a bushing kit or something similar, and it ran like new after that.

• Like 1

ericj

i have a friend that is a machinist and he just machines a new shaft up for them. you should see the amount of wear on the shaft when you take them out. most of the time the body is okay. know any good machine shop in your area

eric j

Wheel-N-It

Dont know if this is an option for you, but.......

I had the exact same problem with the carb on a M14 that is in a 1987 414-8 I bought about three weeks ago. Jay-In-NC saved the day buy passing on to me a carb he bought off e-bay but really did not need. It is the newer style that does not have the adjustable high speed screw, however I bolted it on and the M14 runs just like it is suppose to. So what I am telling you is you may want to get another carb to run you M14 now until you can find someone to do the rebuild for you. Now I am looking for someone to do a rebuild so I can put the original carb back on. Believe me it is a good idea to have a spare carb for your Wheel Horse. I had used mine for another project.

Thank you Jay! You are the Man!

jhunsch

I did this, just re-used the damaged / worn shaft with brass bushing.

I was lucky to have the right size on hand, cut to the right length and put it together and has been working fine now for over a year.

P1070341.jpg

P1070340.jpg

P1070339.jpg