Sign in to follow this  
kthack657

Wheel Horse Hauler

kthack657

Hi all,

as many people on here know that when Jim and I go to a show, we have a big red truck with a big red trailer, well lately people have been asking us about all of the mods we have done, before I show you all the pics I want to give you a little back story so you can better appreciate the work that went into the trailer, Jim bought the Pace Shadow in 2000 to haul his show car, then one fateful day in 2004 he was t-boned when an SUV ran a stop sign and slammed into the trailer hard enough to spin the SUV around, the truck jackknifed and the show car inside took some damage too.  The trailer was parked and sat on the property for the next 7 years.  The insurance company actually paid him to fix the trailer because they did not want to haul it away.  about 5 years ago we decided to check out the big show, and decided that the next year we would stay over, (didn't need to fix the trailer up because we stayed in Jims parents trailer) (did that for 2 years) then in 2009 we started looking for a toy hauler, but could not find anything with a large enough storage space, so we started kicking around the idea of using the car trailer, but knew that it needed a lot of work to be a camper (it was fixed after the accident but only back to original).  The following year at The Little Guys Show, we slept in the back of the pickup truck and the people who were in the surrounding camp sites could tell you stories, we hit our arms crying out Ouch while the other laughed all through the night, were up against the wheel well, cold, damp and sleeping was miserable, not to mention that we could not stand up to put pants on.  Soooo after that weekend we dove in hard to the trailer, first cutting 2 windows in it, an escape window and a nice long window pictured below.

post-3224-0-45279500-1367976748_thumb.jp                                                                          post-3224-0-68306600-1367976790_thumb.jp

we salvaged the windows and valances from an RV from the 70's, removed the pink fabric from the valances and recovered in Coca-Cola fabric.  Once that was done, we got the cabinets from the Habitat for Humanity "Restore". 

post-3224-0-13890900-1367976932_thumb.jp                                                         post-3224-0-18664400-1367976967_thumb.jp

Then we added the microwave, paint, insulation, AC and new tires.  Then came the awning that we got off an old 5th wheel trailer (that is a story for another time). 

post-3224-0-15261500-1367977188_thumb.jp

We also got a generator for those shows that do not offer electric.  The only thing missing was a bed, we had been sleeping on a mattress on the floor, but to my pleasure we found 2 jackknife sofas on Craigslist and went on the road trip to go get them.  Here they are installed and ready to go, now we have a place to sit and sleep YAY!!    :D

post-3224-0-08650500-1367977469_thumb.jp

The other upgrade that is not pictured is the truck, last year we purchased a larger truck as the old truck struggled to pull the trailer (28 foot long).  Hope you enjoy the pictures and appreciate all the hard work that we did together!!

• Like 1

Ken B

Nice job. Now if that ain't kickin it in style I don't know what is!

stevebo

liking it for sure!

KC9KAS

Great fab work on your Horse Hauler.

Jake Kuhn

Thats very nice Karen and Jim! :bow-blue:

kthack657

The newest upgrade that we did was install a radio, and soon there will be a keurig brewer in there too, cant wait for next week to get here and get to go on the first camping trip of the year YAY!!!!

AMC RULES

Modifications look great. :thumbs: 

Wondering...was the window added for drive thru coffee sales at the show?   :) 

kthack657

ok just got back from the first show of the year, and I have to say the beds were a great addition, not to mention the generator (had to run the heat all night yay, I recommend them to all thinking about converting a cargo/car trailer...sooooooo worth it!!