steelhauler

212-5 suspect not charging

steelhauler

hi, I have a 212-5 circa 1991 will not hold charge, I charge the battery and it will start 3-4 times, the other day it quit on me while mowing, must be something draining battery. headlights have not worked since I bought it . also it has an electric pto. any ideas where to start troubleshooting is appreciated. thanks

gwest_ca

What is your long model number and serial number?

In 1991 the 212-5 used Briggs and Stratton, Onan and Kawasaki engines.

Garry

Save Old Iron

The issue could be either excessive drain on the battery or insufficient charging of the battery.

Start the tractor and monitor the voltage directly across the battery terminals. If the battery voltage does not reach AT LEAST 13.5 volts - the charging circuit needs troubleshooting. As Gary stated, we will need to know which engine you have in the tractor to continue.

steelhauler

update, I charged the battery and have 12.5 volts at battery. after starting the voltage dropped to 12.2 so this tells me it is not charging. now I need to know how to check the charging system. id #32120501 mdl #e125vn10964b serial# h893595878 hope this helps and I appreciate all the help and info.

Save Old Iron

e125v10964b serial# h893595878

sounds like an Onan engine #  - you are correct about not charging - the drop in battery voltage is related to the heavy amperage draw from the electric PTO. I'll have to see if Gary has a manual for that as I have never worked on an Onan vertical engine. I imagine it is not that much different than a Briggs in regards to charging. Stay tuned.

Save Old Iron

From the demystification guide , the charge circuit is pretty much standard stuff (diagram below). I would anticipate having in excess of 30 volts AC across the leads mark AC and 14+ volts coming from the B+ terminal. What I do not know is where the rectifier / regulator is located on the ONAN verts. Maybe someone can chime in. I'll do a little more research on it if I can find and ONAN illustrated parts list for the engine.

You may want to check the 30 amp fuse and for corrosion in the 30 amp fuse holder.

post-1689-0-52865100-1368155756_thumb.gi

Save Old Iron

looks like we have the service manual at this link

voltage tests are under the electrical section of the manual

steelhauler

after numerous tests I have 28 volts out of alternator and 12.5 at battery, when pto is engaged it drops to 10.8 so we came to the conclusion of voltage regulator. not cheap 124.00 locally, will see what is available on the net. thanks for everyones help, very much appreciated.

Save Old Iron

battery voltage dropping 2 volts with just a PTO load indicates the battery has elevated internal resistance {sulfated}. the battery should be replaced too. the battery has been in a semi-discharged state for so long, full recovery may not be possible.

JC_wolf64
On 5/10/2013 at 4:16 AM, Save Old Iron said:

From the demystification guide , the charge circuit is pretty much standard stuff (diagram below). I would anticipate having in excess of 30 volts AC across the leads mark AC and 14+ volts coming from the B+ terminal. What I do not know is where the rectifier / regulator is located on the ONAN verts. Maybe someone can chime in. I'll do a little more research on it if I can find and ONAN illustrated parts list for the engine.

You may want to check the 30 amp fuse and for corrosion in the 30 amp fuse holder.

post-1689-0-52865100-1368155756_thumb.gi

I'm having similar problems but I don't understand how the battery charges without an alternator ?