Sign in to follow this  
Jamie Darian Brown

wiring issue weird....

Jamie Darian Brown

Hi,

I have a wheel horse b80   ran fine last year.  I put a battery in it and no start.  Made sure battery was good.  then tried starting it with screw driver connecting and by passing the swtich at the starter.     It turned over.   no start.    I had a spare key switch that I snapped in.  With both key switches installed and tried,  here is what it does.   If you use the screw driver to start it AND KEEP  the key switch all the way turned to start.  It will run and stay running.    Take the screw driver off the starter. it stops.   let go the key switch, it stops. Keep starter going with screwdriver  and key switch all way over, it runs.   I stopped running it quickly when I saw this was the case cuz I did not wanna mess up starter.   Any clues on this.... weird.  I am getting it going for a show in a month. 

Jamie Darian Brown

Let me add, the screwdriver was put on the solenoid to  make it start....     Only runs if screwdriver is held there keeping starter engaged and if the key switch is turned all the way for starting.  (tried two key switches same thing)  key switch by itself wont engage starter.   with key switch turned AND a screw driver on teh solenoid, it runs... take either off, it dies...   of course starter is engaged during this so I quit before i'd hurt it. 

gwest_ca

Sounds like you have no battery power to the ignition switch from the ammeter which gets it power from the battery cable on the solenoid.

What is happening is you are backfeeding the solenoid wire on the ignition switch and it in turn is powering the ignition circuit because the two are connected in the start position. The electrons are going the wrong way down the starter solenoid wire.

Try putting a jumper across the ammeter terminals and see if it works. The shunt on the back of the meter may be broken.

Garry

Save Old Iron

One item to check would be the placement of the smaller gauge wire on the starter solenoid. The small gauge wire should begin at the starter relay  terminal connected to the BATTERY CABLE side of the solenoid. The other end of this wire (eventually) goes to the "B" terminal of the ignition switch. It may travel thru the ammeter and then to the ignition switch. There will be a color change as it travels thru the ammeter. Red is used from the starter solenoid to the ammeter and green wire from the ammeter to the ignition switch.

correctbwireconnect_zpsc0014379.gif

If the small gauge wire is mistakenly placed on the STARTER (+) CABLE side of the solenoid relay

wrongbwireconnect_zpsa26bea70.gif

the tractor will crank but not remain running when the operator lets off the starter position of the ignition switch (the STARTER + side looses 12 volts when you release the ignition switch - no 12 volts on the starter means no 12 volts on the ignition switch.)

Same idea for the screwdriver jump of the starter relay, 12 volts drops off the ignition switch when you remove the screwdriver.

Jamie Darian Brown

Thanks for all the help!   You were right about the ammeter wire. The green wire goes to the switch.  The red one is still on the ammeter but the other end has come loose from where ever it was and is just handing there.   Do I connect the red wire fromt he ammeter tot he pos. on the battery or connect it to the left hand side of the solenoid?     Thanks for all the help. I really appreciate it.

hanging there not handing there sorry

Save Old Iron

connect the red wire from the ammeter to the starter solenoid terminal that is connected to the heavy gauge cable leading to the BATTERY (+) terminal.

Save Old Iron

correctbwireconnectwammeter_zps40ecc15b.

Jamie Darian Brown

thanks for all your help   b80 is running great.