KyBlue

Added to the Stable!

KyBlue

FINALLY!! After three years, I've picked up a second horse for my small stable ... I've been lurking for the last few months searching for one of the larger units. I really wanted to find a 520 with the big 60" Deck but just ... the price...That much be GOLD under that red paint!!

Ended up settling for a 418-A. I think I'll feel better sticking with a Kohler. I'm working on uploading the auction pic(s) now .. There is a missing Decal I'll have to get, and the light buckets are Spray bombed white ... it needs a seat, and I'm sure a very thorough tune up! Any Tips/Tricks/Need to know info??

Pictures!

WH1_zpsac6389ed.jpg

WH7_zps8f09a6e9.jpg

WH8_zpsc1125058.jpg

WH5_zps86be7d71.jpg

WH9_zpsde00f310.jpg

Enjoy! :)

• Like 3

Shuboxlover

That is one I would LOVE to have!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Congrats on the new unit!!

• Like 1

Dieselcowboy

Nice mower. Do they drive just as nice as any other? I'm right with you on the price of the 520's. I want one so bad I can taste it. And a 520 is not really any bigger in size than the 418's I don't think.

• Like 1

KyBlue

Same Footprint I believe. The Wheel base on the 520H with the swept forward axle is different, to clear the Monster 60 inch deck ... but I think the rest is the same?? That big deck would be nice ... but over the next few weeks/month(s) I'll pick up a 48" Deck ... maybe give me a excuse to run to PA in June ...

Will have to wait to answer how it drives till I Pick it up towards the end of the month. Not bad for 500.00 and a tank of fuel or so to run to Illinois and back to pick it up

brandonozz

Great tractor you got there!

I missed a 520 a few months back at an (live) auction.  My problem was the son was selling all the "stuff" from his fathers property after he passed.  Pre auction pics showed it parked in a stall with junk on top of it.  Spoke to the his son about what he knew about the 520 and he said he thought it had some problems but didn't really know what.  Not a lot to go on!

The 520 sold for just under $500 and the purchaser had it on craigslist the next week for $1200 I think.  Said it ran great with no problems :banghead:

Planned on getting a D200 with a loader in the near future and just wasn't willing to take the risk.  Hind sight is 20/20!

• Like 1

Jake Kuhn

Nice looking horse! :handgestures-thumbup:

• Like 1

gwest_ca

Operator manual in 3 parts

http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/files/file/348-tractor-1987-400-series-om-pt2-810473r1pdf/

http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/files/file/1519-tractor-1987-400-series-om-wiring-pt3-810473r1pdf/

There are some service bulletins but don't think they are posted here yet.

#409, #438 and #440

Adding

There may be more that are more general in nature but have not figured out a way to link them to a message.

Garry

• Like 1

VinsRJ

Very nice addition to your Herd!

• Like 1

Wheel-N-It

I would not exactly call that "Settling".

#1, You've got the Kohler Engine. You probably will feel better about that. I know I do with my KT-17 series 2

#2, Your 18hp Kohler has plenty of power to spin a 48" mowing deck.

#3, You have the same transmission as in the 520

#4, There is some "Cool Factor" associated to the 417's and 418's

I would say you made a wise purchase. I would have done the same if it were offered to me.

Edited by Wheel-N-It
  • Like 2

KyBlue

I meant settled in relation to the size of the deck. I really was wanting the big deck to cut my mowing time... cutting a 1.25 acres with a 36 deck has ... worn me out...LoL my lil 8hp is tired and I don't want to kill it.

MarkPalmer

I wouldn't call it a settle either, more of a good move IMHO.  If I were to pick one of the bigger WH models, it too would use Kohler power.  They might not be outright better engines than the Onans, but serviceability will be a lot easier to handle down the path, and they will all need that at some point in time. 

-Mark-

• Like 1

KyBlue

Thanks y'all :)

It'll be good to get it home and fix the lil minor things that will drive me crazy...maybe give if a quick buff to shine it back up and ... feed her some grass! haha

Wheel-N-It

Hey good luck with it! Let us know what you do to it to get it in top running and mowing condition. Giving those wheels a good coat of silver paint will make your new Wheel Horse stand out :)

Edited by Wheel-N-It

KyBlue

I got it home LATE last night. 750 Mile Round trip, Rented Uhaul Trailer (34.00) and a 17mpg avg in the pickup (not bad for a F250 pulling that trailer)

Started working on it this morning, the plugs were Only Finger Tight. One is totally fouled, soot black. The second cylinder shows ZERO signs of EVER firing. Was totally soaked in gas, and had schmutz fouling the gap in the plug. I don't have a compression tester any longer, so using my finger I blocked the plug hole and ... Nothing. Sh~t!!!  However the battery is about dead, I Can see the valves opening/Closing and the motor has no odd noises. Broken Rings perhaps? Put in new Plug, am checking the plug wires next.

On a side note, The Hydro filter looks to be ... original. ACK!!!

KyBlue

The ...Stuff growing on the underside of the Air Filter ...

IMG_20130512_152536_388_zpsdd647f7f.jpg

The only molestation I see in the wiring is this Fuse put in, it's just twisted together and electrical taped ... I'll solder it in place

IMG_20130512_152528_386_zpsf7d14bb8.jpg

fireman

You are definitely better off with the Kohler instead of the problem racked Onans. Nice tractor!

KyBlue

As a update ...

One Connecting rod is totally destroyed. :/  The crank is scratched but not scarred.

Has been sitting since May of last year. Dealing with the loss of a parent and changing my own identity and path in life has been difficult.  However we are still here, there is still a love for the red tractor(s) and it WILL live again!!!

Ordered a new Ignition Module.

I'm also ordering from Jacks Small Engine

New Piston

New Connecting Rod

New Piston Rings on the Second Cylinder

New Seals and Gaskets as needed

Wheel Horse Hydro Filter (yes I know there is aftermarket available)

Wheel Horse Drive Belt (the original one had a huge chunk missing)

I'll be needing a new Drive Belt Pulley. I um Tore up the pulley Trying to get it off (yeah yeah I know ... USE A PULLER YA IDIOT)  so if anybody has one laying around .... Shoot me a message :)

Will post pictures when I get the parts in

Edited by 4StarCstms

papaglide

Glad to hear that this cool tractor is not forgotten!

Wheel-N-It

Sorry to hear that the 418 broke a rod. I can remember being excited for you last year when you bought it. Good to hear you are rebuilding the 18M and not giving up on it.

Also sorry to hear about the loss of one of your parents. The same thing happened to me last year too. Hopefully the engine rebuilding project will help take your mind off it.

Keep us posted on the progress.

Tankman

Nice Horse! Something to do during the upcoming nice weather, summer!

Never measured but my 520-8 seems bigger than my 416-8. I do however prefer the familiar Kohler engine. Rebuilt three hears ago, runs like new.

The Onan sounds great but, eats fuel more than my grandson downs slurpees! The Onan fuel system demands cleanliness, I use fuel additives for the Onan, keep the fuel system clean.

A sixty inch deck might be nice but, the 48" SD works fine. The Onan goes up hills, at an idle, zero strain.

Keep all updated with your new project! We need to know, and want to hear 'bout your progress!   :)

KyBlue

Thanks.  Because I mow the amount that I do, the 60" deck would be a huge time saver but honestly after mowing for Almost Four years with the lil deck and now the 42" deck ... Just might as well keep on like I am ... haha

Will get some pictures when I split the case and start building...

KyBlue

All of my parts are in! Woohoo!! Thanks to Jacks for such speedy Shipping!  However I have to order more.... sadly.

I got it all pulled apart this evening, the block split, the cam and crank out...and I have to say this motor has been abused...badly. The Running Cylinder Connecting rod has marks on it, and the Crank bearings are down to the copper! For only 1700 hours ... Makes me question how much this thing was abused after that Rod broke.

Everything else looks great, the Cam is fine, the crank has some marks but Im going to clean it up and run it for a little while. Might Seek out a replacement depending on how she cleans up .. we'll see. 

For now, I need new Crank bearings. I should've known to order them with the rest of the parts! Doh!

S.

KyBlue

Well... After looking around it seems those bearings come like that ... however there is damage to mine, and embedded chunks of aluminum.  Oh well...could be worse!

papaglide

Good luck continuing the rebuild. That is a nice tractor and deserves the rebuild!

Desko

Asking as the crank is in speck you should be fine.