Zeek

62 552 Mower Deck Mounting

Zeek

Anybody have a diagram on how to mount the deck/pulleys/belts on a 62 552? I have a box of parts....

stevasaurus

Hey Zeek...here is a link to the manual for the 1962 deck...it has a good parts drawing.

This is a picture from the gallery of a 1964, but it should be the same or real close. :)

Edited by stevasaurus

Zeek

Thanks!!

Zeek

Hmmm...now that I looked those two files, I think I still need help.  The deck is intact.  It's the parts that mount to the tractor itself that are the problem :confusion-scratchheadblue:

wallfish

Here's a pic of the assembly mounted on a 702.

post-658-0-69249300-1367539652_thumb.jpg

stevasaurus

Does John's picture do it for you?

Just curious...does your deck look like this?  I think this is a 1962 that went with my 502. :)

2008_0513ford640001.jpg

Edited by stevasaurus

wallfish

You're right Steve, the deck pictured is a newer style with the front roller but the belt system to run it is the same. Your deck looks like a 62 to me.

• Like 1

Zeek

Thanks for the pics guys, that's what I'm looking for. 

Wallfish - do you have any pictures of the pedals and linkage configuration?

wallfish

This should help. If not, could you please post a pic of the parts you have? It may help determine if you have the right parts or not.

post-658-0-00563100-1368494122_thumb.jpg

post-658-0-52584300-1368494142_thumb.jpg

post-658-0-49901900-1368494159_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Zeek

Ok thanks.  Let me give that a shot and if I can't figure it out I'll take some pictures.

Zeek

Ok, finally got around to finishing this deck, but I can't seem to figure out the deck mounting. . . :angry-banghead:

I can't keep the front mount in the latch plate. It appears that I'm either missing latch bars or something else.

20171007_150724.jpg.5b6cdd6e99a878efffef39396c76ab28.jpg20171007_143028.jpg.d8bfeda45b27a647612d03d029227cec.jpg

Looks like I need these

20171007_143626.jpg.7ce89a58c58b0bdacac04ade4b2b33ca.jpg

I  have these two bars that I don't know if they go with this setup or not, not sure what they are for :confusion-scratchheadyellow:

20171007_150731.jpg.4bb19953f47b9a037b9a9fa7bad3f992.jpg

Any advice or detailed picture you can post would be great!

20171007_143138.jpg

squonk

Yes Zeek. You need those latch bars. There will be a hole in the left side one to put a hitch pin in to keep the hitch closed. As far as those bars go, the shorter one with the extra piece looks like the lift link. 

Zeek
12 hours ago, squonk said:

Yes Zeek. You need those latch bars. There will be a hole in the left side one to put a hitch pin in to keep the hitch closed. As far as those bars go, the shorter one with the extra piece looks like the lift link. 

What do you mean by the "lift link" with that bar? There is a silver colored round bar with an adjustable nut that connects to the tractor lift. You can see it in the first picture. Is there supposed to be another?

gwest_ca

Looks like the latch bars were first used in 1964

Garry

• Like 1

squonk

I'm not sure on the 552. But on my 604 and 704 the round bar had a short link attached to it to give it extra length. I see the parts picture for the 552 deck shows a different bar. Perhaps that shorter bar with the extra piece is something some one made up to work. If you look at the 64 file Gary provided, parts pic #55 is what I'm referring to.  As far as the latch bars go, I have no idea on how you'd keep the deck on without them.

Zeek
15 minutes ago, gwest_ca said:

Looks like the latch bars were first used in 1964

Garry

I saw this file while I was doing research, but my mounting system is different on the deck itself.

5 minutes ago, squonk said:

I'm not sure on the 552. But on my 604 and 704 the round bar had a short link attached to it to give it extra length. I see the parts picture for the 552 deck shows a different bar. Perhaps that shorter bar with the extra piece is something some one made up to work. If you look at the 64 file Gary provided, parts pic #55 is what I'm referring to.  As far as the latch bars go, I have no idea on how you'd keep the deck on without them.

Yea, I see it looks like I'm missing an adjusting bar on the front too.  Does anyone know the belt part number for the deck drive (engine to deck)? I can't seem to find that anywhere either. I looked at the various manuals on here . . .

squonk

My 701 had everything missing but the PTO Pedal. I bought the idler pulley links and the latch bars at the show. Everything bolted right up. I actually have a Commando style deck that I put on it. If I remember right the PTO belt was 1/2" X 29"

gwest_ca

Go back up to the link to the RM-324 manual and click on the picture. The page that comes up has the belt numbers and dimensions. The RMR-3262 deck used in 1962 used the same belts.

Garry

JPWH
10 minutes ago, Zeek said:

I saw this file while I was doing research, but my mounting system is different on the deck itself.

Yea, I see it looks like I'm missing an adjusting bar on the front too.  Does anyone know the belt part number for the deck drive (engine to deck)? I can't seem to find that anywhere either. I looked at the various manuals on here . . .

The parts you are referring to will show up on the deck manual. I just went thru the same thing for my 854. A-Z had what I needed.

Zeek
6 hours ago, gwest_ca said:

Go back up to the link to the RM-324 manual and click on the picture. The page that comes up has the belt numbers and dimensions. The RMR-3262 deck used in 1962 used the same belts.

Garry

Ok, looks like it says 1/2" x 28" #7430 - the manual instruction say a #1577.  Looks like they are the same thing. Thanks.