Kevbo

If you could buy any tractor...

Vinylguy

For me it would be a perfectly restored 1968 charger 12. 

I like how the motion control lever is positioned.

My 73 16 horse is low and under the wheel which

feels out of place while operating to me. I am getting use to the power of the

big K341S  though. Would love to have Martins 1057 but most likely nobody has enough money to buy that tractor.

papaglide

A nice C-195 with a 3 point and 48" deck .....or a nice C-160 with a 48" deck and slot or clevis hitch.

thirdjoker

3 choices=rj35or rj58, or one of the 1st front engines.

Kevbo

Very interesting replies everyone! It seems we have a common consensus on certain models that are the most wanted!

RMCIII

Just joined the forum today, and may be kicked out, after this. Here goes. Until a couple weeks ago, I would have never even looked, at a Wheel Horse garden tractor. I was looking to replace my JD 212 with a JD 317 or 318. In the process of looking, for the right deal, the right deal found me. I stumbled upon a Toro Wheel Horse 518xi. Hours had just turned 160. Came with a soft cab that has a real glass front window,  wiper, and beacon light. 48" mower deck, 42" single stage snow blower, weights and chains. I picked the entire package up for $1,650.00.. The price was definitely right, the attachments we exactly what I was looking for, and the soft cab was a bonus. So, this was more of a stumbling block I fell over and am glad I did. Photo is of the 518xi.

• Like 2

chrisd200(inactive)

Nice mower for sure! :WRS:  welcome and enjoy!

kthack657

I would love a 420 LSE and a nice restored 401.

mike67

Any horse from 1967 'cause thats the year I was born

thehorse

A big shiny 520-h with a 2 stage blower, tiller and 48 in deck.....with mirror bright hub caps and a 1000 watt stereo system with a cooler to keep a couple beers cold!

• Like 1

DennisThornton

For some reason I am stuck in the 60's lately and I don't have a clue how I got there. 'Course the 60's is my generation. I have been thinking I would like a C-195 with 3-point and rear PTO but I haven't seen one in my area at all. The closest one I had a contact about was a member here and he was over in Ohio and he wanted more than I wanted to give. It would have been about a 600 mile round trip.

See stuck in the 60's and I just picked up a 702 this morning and that's the last picture.

Those are some nice looking tractors lynn! That 702 looks more like a 704 to me though. The 702 had the aluminum gas tank, and it had electric start.

Jake

Good catch!  And a long time ago too!

Sprocket

The question assumes there is no existing "family heirloom" type machine existing - because that's the trump card if there ever was one.  The machine I logged so many miles on from grade school, that 3 generations have sat and rode on for pictures, that becomes as beloved as the family dog is not for sale - but I know where it is and am planing to get it back...

That said, I owned a round hood for a while and from a "cool factor" I'd want another but only if it can go to work as a mower, etc.  Currently I'm happy/frustrated with the one I own now.

muz123

I would love to buy a 518-H and a almost brand new 211-4. Only because i have my 2007 315-8.

skeptichorse

I think the D-250 would be the beast to have...I am guessing here but wasnt that the biggest horse ever made?

muz123

I think the D-250 would be the beast to have...I am guessing here but wasnt that the biggest horse ever made?

Yes it was the biggest wheel horse made. I think it was shipped from Germany. It was made from 1976 to 1981.

Aldon

I tend to think any tractor that Martin has restored:-)

But since this is theorthetical anyway, might as well dream a bit....

Having a herd of all Hydro's, it would be great to find a concour level GT14 with K341 low hours or rebuilt right....maybe even a magnum 16 single with the strongest gear drive swap available. It would make a nice matched pair with the GT14 I am hoping to have fully done by spring at latest.

Maybe Martin will start taking orders. LOL

Edited by Aldon

Sprocket

Thinking on the topic for a few days I've come to this:
A basket case - something that needs love, attention and patience - the thing that most would walk by and say, "he11 no".  The thing that needs a rescue.

Why - because it needs the rescue - I'm that kind of guy that believes that fun involved on a resto project lies within the project.  I would probably never buy a restored tractor - all the fun has been sucked up by the guy that did the resto - and good for him, he got it before me.

The basket case represents the time, effort and intention of bringing a rusted heap back to a useful life - sometimes parts are parts but if a machine is at 70% original (+/-) that machine needs some of the stuff that separates a collector/restorer from an owner.

I have my years of choice but really if I see a machine that needs rescue and I have the wherewithal to bring it home, I will.  It's less about my wants than the needs of the machine.