Sign in to follow this  
Delta9Reaper

Wheel Horse 308-8 Magnum 8

Delta9Reaper

Just aquired my first Wheel Horse. I got the 308-8. Not sure which year. Any advice would be very helpful. Tested the motor, I know that the  motor is free but is leaking oil from the head. I believe it is a head gasket but I will not know until I start the teardown. It has the Uni-Drive Part Number- 2988185 with the Tach - A - Matic. I know that the ignition switch is shot, and the starter solenoid works great. I am looking to restore this Horse over the next few months. Like I said, I am open to anyones opinion and advice is much appreciated.

IMG_0153_zps1bfbb8ac.jpg

IMG_0152_zps7743a969.jpg

IMG_0145_zps499da2ad.jpg

IMG_0155_zps90862b83.jpg

• Like 2

AMC RULES

No opinions, or advice...just a warm welcome to  :rs: 

Glad you've joined us.   :handgestures-thumbsup: 

WH854

Just aquired my first Wheel Horse. I got the 308-8. Not sure which year. Any advice would be very helpful. Tested the motor, I know that the  motor is free but is leaking oil from the head. I believe it is a head gasket but I will not know until I start the teardown. It has the Uni-Drive Part Number- 2988185 with the Tach - A - Matic. I know that the ignition switch is shot, and the starter solenoid works great. I am looking to restore this Horse over the next few months. Like I said, I am open to anyones opinion and advice is much appreciated.

IMG_0153_zps1bfbb8ac.jpg

IMG_0152_zps7743a969.jpg

IMG_0145_zps499da2ad.jpg

IMG_0155_zps90862b83.jpg

:WRS: You can go here and put 308-8 like I have it typed it will give you your possible year :thumbs:

https://lookup3.toro.com/partdex/index.cfm?xCaller=Toro

Chas

Jake Kuhn

:WRS:

Delta9Reaper

You guys are awesome!!! Thanks!

That link came in handy, looks like its an 86. Little later model than I thought but hey, it's gonna be awesome when it's done. I will post pics of progress.

WH854

You guys are awesome!!! Thanks!

That link came in handy, looks like its an 86. Little later model than I thought but hey, it's gonna be awesome when it's done. I will post pics of progress.

You Betcha :thumbs: good luck :USA:

Chas

bitten

Hello and welcome.

308-8 red hood was only made in 1986. 

Never seen a head gasket leaking oil before, new one on me.

Delta9Reaper

I am not sure where the oil is leaking from. I hooked jump cables to the starter solenoid to see if motor was free. Thats when I seen the oil spewing out the top of the head where the top separates. Here is a video of the oil leak.

KATO

Good lookin project :handgestures-thumbupright:  WELCOME to :rs: Unfortunately that looks a little more serious than just a head gasket.Time to tear into it.

Edited by KATO

Fordiesel69

HG is blown because of way too much oil consumption.  Make sure the owner did not pour in it to store it long term.  Also make sure it is not over full. 

Fordiesel69

This will make the Kohler lovers angry, but wheel horse built the 8HP tractors to physically mount the same attachements as the big block engines (10-16HP).  Thus prior owners always seem to overwork the 8HP with too big of decks, or plowing and lugging all the time.  You will find it is probably worn out.  Good news is, it will be cheap to rebuild if you don;t need tons of machine shop work.   

Delta9Reaper

That's bad news... I look forward to sharing my progress. Thanks for the help. :)

MarkPalmer

I would just go ahead and remove the head, and assess the condition of the bore and valves.  That M8 is likely in need of a rebuild. 

-Mark-

Jim_M

The good news is that the M8 is easy to work on and parts are cheap and readily available. You'll love it when it's done, plenty of power and runs all day on a gallon of gas.

Edited by Jim_M

rwilson

Just pull the head off and replace the head gasket. You will be suprised!

can whlvr

i have a 1986 red hood 308-8,bought it brand new,my 8hp is long gone but i still have the tractor and use it more than most of my other machines,maybe she can be repaired

Delta9Reaper

Yep I'm looking forward to cleaning it up real good and replacing all the gaskets. Maybe I will get lucky...

rwilson

I'm sure all you need is a new head gasket. grab a copy of the kohler manual and get the torque pattern and specs.

MarkPalmer

With the head removed, it is very easy to see the engine condition.  If the combustion chamber and piston crown are dry and just have a light, even coating of black carbon and the cylinder wall isn't scored, plus the valves when open don't have a lot of wobble in their guides it should be OK to just put a new head gasket on and run it.  If the top of the piston is wet with oil, or you see a clean ring around the outer edge of top of the piston with no carbon that is oily, the rings and/or bore are worn, and putting a new gasket on and running it will most likely give you a machine that will be great in the summer for keeping mosquitos and other flying insects (plus close friends) away from you  :)

-Mark-