Sign in to follow this  
cdsl810

Getting a {new} 520-H

cdsl810
Hello everyone...

I'm in the process of buying a 1992 520-H.  I have negotiated a price of $1000.  It has a 48" side discharge deck, but no other accessories. 512 hours showing on the Hobbs. Everything mechanically is flawless, and the Onan starts instantly and purrs like a dream--smooth from idle to WOT.  This is going to be my new daily workhorse.  Two concerns that I have are (1) how did I do on price and (2) am I in for headaches trying to navigate hilly portions of my property and other obstacles while mowing?  The only two things that didn't wow me about the 520-H are the motion lever (I know I can by the foot pedal kit) and the turning radius. My XL series was much more nimble... Just not nearly as cool. It is in really good shape, albeit with some signs of reliable use.

Tankman

For a thousand bucks you did okay.

I have a '90 520-8, climbs hills, mows 'n tows without any strain 'r pain.

Don't know 'bout the hydro or turning radius but, I can live with the turning radius.

I have the forward swept axle, comfy, nice footprint.

You don't have the forward swept axle (I guess).

Have fun and post your opinion after you use the Horse. :smile:

cdsl810

It does indeed have the forward swept front axle. I'm just being a little picky about the turning radius. I have a lot of trees to mow around. I should be picking it up tonight for $900...pending final approval of both wives involved. :-)

TheReDStAnG

That's a great price @ $1000, $900 is even better (obviously some people get some steals at $500 or whatever).  I sure wouldn't sell mine that is in comparable condition for that low. These things sold for $6k when knew. Buy it and enjoy it (hence why I have 3)

JackC

You got a good deal.  

You want one that has been taken care of and is in good shape and it looks and sounds like it is.

The 520 H is one of the brands finest creations.

MalMac

If your really concered about turning radius, maybe you should consider a Zero turn machine. Other than that you have picked out a nice tractor. Price is fair you got a good machine there.

546cowboy

You'll love that tractor and it should have the gear reduction steering which is really nice. Just mowed with my '89 yesterday, just for the fun of it and I do have a zero turn to mow with. Trees are challenging because of the turning radius but you get used to it. Nothing sounds like the big Onan or has the power. You'll take every opportunity to use it. :thumbs::happy-bouncymulticolor:

cdsl810

Well... The 520 made it to my property in one piece (actually, two since I had to remove the deck to trailer it). It's just a great piece of engineering... Love it. I am looking forward to working it out a bit tomorrow.

wh5208speed

It looks like you have a 1990 version. Starting in 1991 they started using "Toro" branded gauges (RPM, Vaccuum, Gas, Hour meter). In 1988-1990 the 500 series line used Stewart Warner branded gauges (which is what your photo shows). The other way to confirm is....does it have gear reduction steering? I really can't tell from the photos if it does or not. 1990 was the only year Toro 520's did not have gear reduction steering. On the turning radius, the 520 with the forward swept axle has a turning radius of 28" and the standard straight axles on all other Wheel Horses has a turning radius of 32". So for a Wheel Horse Garden Tractor, you have the tightest turning radius they ever made, until the got to the Xi series line in 1998.....which was a really tight 20".

Thad (Ohio)

cdsl810

Good call, Thad.  All the documentation that came with the tractor says 1992 (even the copy of the original dealer bill of sale)... But, the model number on the tractor is 41-20OE01, indicating that it is indeed a 1990 model. The previous owner did buy the tractor in 1992.  It looks like the dealer gave him a deal on old stock. Nevertheless, I'm still thrilled with my purchase.

Next question: can you replace the standard steering column assembly from 1990 with the gear reduction steering? Has anyone tried this? Seems like it should be possible.

Ken B

I think you got a hell of a deal. I really enjoy cutting the grass and pushing mountains of snow with my 520. They are a snow pushing beast! (I think I proved that) You'll want to keep a few extra gallons of fuel on hand as they are quite thirsty.

VinsRJ

Looks like you did well... I've heard and read many great things about those tractors.

P.S. Post number 3000 for me, LOL! :violence-blades:

• Like 1

MalMac

Yes you can change it over. Unless you find the parts at a reasonable price it can become quite costly. You will need the reduction unit of course, then the upright steering shaft you will also have to replace the fan gear shaft that goes from the reduction unit to the tie rods. I believe you will have to drill a couple of extra holes in the frame. If memory serves me the engine on the 1990 is set back toward the operator just a hair more than the 91's and up. Should not cause a problem just have to use a shorter oil filter. There are members on here that have converted other models like the C series and the 300,400 models over. Just remember what you gain in ease of steering you also gain in how many times you have to turn that steering wheel. Most people love it. I have had both, the steering reduction was nice for the 60in deck and the 2 stage snow blower. I love my 1990 520 without for mowing did not have to work the steering so much.

JackC

you may find the steering is fine as is especially for mowing

cdsl810

You guys are dead on. The steering is good for mowing. What a magnificent beast this tractor is. Puts my 15-44 HXL to shame (and that's been a good running machine). I'm thinking about naming it something like "Onan the Barbarian"... Impressed

Don1977

In my opinion any thing that causes you not to be able to mow with a 48" deck need to go, bushes, trees, flower beds, and narrow gates. I have enough deep ditches and steep banks to trim, any thing else in my way will disappear.

cdsl810

Forgive me guys if this information is available in another thread...

Do we have a list of maintenance items and possible cross reference part numbers for (dare I say) non-Toro parts used in the 520? Specifically, spark plugs, air filter(s), oil filter(s), oil viscosity for engine/hydro and the like? Thanks

leeave96

I think you got a good deal and a great tractor.  As was said earlier, the turning radius for these tractors is tighter with the swept forward axle than with the standard one.  I was thinking 26 inches, but good to know 28 is the number.

Lots of threads for cross reference and this link for manuals, etc., http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/files/

I put Matt's foot control kits (see vendor section) on both of my 520H tractors and while I don't have much in the way of hours, like it.  I would use your tractor as it is from the factory and see how you like it before a foot control mod - knowing you can always make the change.

For the age of the tractor, the hours are VERY good IMHO.  Read this site's posts about keeping the engine clean of debri - especially the grass screen and in doing so, keeping the engine cool.  Your tractor should last a LONG time.

Good luck,

Bill

wh5208speed

Here is my data for filters. The one option I have found for finding filters for my 520 is finding a local Cummins dealer. My company owns several trucks with Cummins motors and I decided to have them price me Onan filters while I was there getting other filters, and I got a much better price from them so I tend to use Onan branded filters. One of the other reasons I like Onan is Cummins also owes Fleetguard which makes commercial duty filters for HD engines, which they also make the Onan line of filters. If I were to deviate away from Onan, I would go with Wix.

If you are looking to find a cheaper brand of Hydro Filter......make sure you buy a hydraulic filter and not an engine filter which has a by-pass valve, which is not ideal for a hydro. I usually just use the Toro's Hydro filter from the dealership....around $11 was the last I bought one. And considering I only change them every 100 hours....I am not going to get excited over $5.

Oil is SAE Straight 30W for the summer, 10W-30 for the winter

The Hydro takes 10W-30

I have done 2 gear reduction conversions....in the middle of one right now. You will need the upper steering shaft and the gear reduction tower and fan gear.....other than drilling a 2nd set of holes for the gear reduction tower....it is a bolt on conversion.

Thad (Ohio)

post-745-0-30896000-1367447144_thumb.jpg