Sign in to follow this  
dsholler

Opinions on lawn sweepers

dsholler

Hey there... does anyone have an opinion on lawn sweepers, and which brands are the best? I have the opportunity to purchase a used Parker 36 inch model, but the owner wants about what it would cost me to have a new Ohio Steel 50 inch delivered. Is there really so much difference between them?

I do not sweep up the grass clippings (read someplace that you can reduce your fertilizer and watering needs by an astonishing amount if you leave them there) so this is just for some fall leaf duty and general cleanup

C-85

Sept-Oct2011_44Small-1.jpg

I bought this I I Sears sweeper and have had pretty good luck with it.  It has saved me a lot of work and picks up all I want.  It has even sweeped up a few rocks, so it really does work!  The height adjustment was flimsy so I re-inforced it and then I modified the hithch a little, but the best thing I did was to get rid of the Crapman sticker and put  on a Wheel Horse one!  I've noticed that some sweepers have a frame and caster wheels in the back of it.  Mine doesn't have this and I think I'm glad because I think they could dig into the lawn when making turns.  Plust the weight of the debris in the basket gives mine pretty good traction.  I know the only thing that Sears makes is Money, so I don't know who the actual manufacture was for this.

Sept-Oct2011_43Small.jpg

Sept-Oct2011_54Small.jpgSept-Oct2011_42Small.jpg

squonk

I bought an old Brinly 42" for 50 bucks. It was well used. The wheels  are canted like an old F-150 on a lift. I wore out the drive pins and Brinly sent me new ones at no charge. Picks up grass, dog poop, sticks,rocks and leaves. It does leave some pine cones behind.

Rick_in_CT

I had a sweeper made by Agri-Fab, it worked very well, no complaints.  I remember Parker from way back, I think they were considered top of the line, have not seen one in years.  I just looked up the Parker on line, I can't belive the price.  Parker 36" $729.99 new.  Look at Lowes.com for lawn sweepers.  I googled the Ohio Steel unit, much better price and the reviews were positive.  I would only use mine in the fall to clear leaves on one acre of grass.  I'm not sure why the Parker is so expensive compared to the others, maybe someone who owns a Parker will chime in and educate us.  If I was going to purchase another one (sold mine when I got a vac system for my deck) I would go the Agri-Fab, Ohio Steel, route.  I will say when I put mine up for sale, it sold very quickly.

953 nut

A lawn sweeper is a great tool to have. I have a Craftsman and an Agri-Fab, one for each side of the creek, about 2 acres on the house side and an acre on the barn side. Both were picked up used on eBay, about $50 each. Being from the Northeast you should be able to find a good used one on Craigslist or the Bay that is close by.  Both of mine are 42" and I just use them for fall leaf clean up and have found that they work best if you mow as you sweep. It reduces the volume and makes for fewer trips to the compost bins.

:USA: 

varosd

I got my Parker sweeper for 25 bucks.  lucky flea market find through my big brother!  I agree that a big cyclone rake type setup would be great but these sweepers can be broken down and stored easy.

I did see a Sears model that was made by Parker some years back. not sure who makes their stuff now.Agri-fab, ohio steel etc?

parker.jpg

Fordiesel69

My opinion......they break too easy.  The bags rot out quickly, and when the grass fills up a little past half, you have to stop, and push it back in order to continue.  We sold ours after all the hassel. 

We owned several different models.  All performed questionable.

W9JAB

I bought a Brinly 42", I also got the dethaching,bar at the same time. It works great, however the pin/clutch system was N.F.G. it kept wereing out, after every big leaf pick up. So I fixed it with a small Honda motor from an old pump. Now when I'm done the lawn looks like it's been done with a vac.

med_gallery_1156_349_90342.jpg

med_gallery_1156_349_69779.jpg

AMC RULES

Have always been very impressed with the way mine performs...just, it's buried so deep in the shed, I don't have the ambition to dig it out every fall. Usually, seems easier to just blow the leaves into a windrow and mulch 'em up.  

post-3498-0-86238200-1367456284_thumb.jp

• Like 3

Tankman

Sometime back picked up a Parker sweeper to tow behind my 36" rear discharge.

The setup always kept the lawns beautiful lookin' and, the wife loved driving the

old Horse!

Want a groomed lawn? Get a sweeper! :smile:

I live on the edge of woods now, use my Echo backpack blower. Another plus for lawn care! :smile:

FYI. Thatch buildup is NOT good for lawns. Clean it up after mowing.

doc724

I have a Sears model, purchased about 5 years ago.  It is made by Agri-Fab and I buy replacement parts thru them.  I have only three complaints.

1.  The drive wheels have gotten canted outward over time, resulting in wear on the inner diameter.  Does nto seem to affect function, but I am not able to correct it.

2.  As another poster has said, the adjusatment is flimsey and does get loose sometimes.

3.  My wife is the "designated sweeper"  More than once she has caught the stone wall with the sweeper taking a corner too tight and pulled out stones.  Can't do mutch aboutthis except be quiet and be thankful that she likes to sweep!

Jake217

I've had a Brinly 42' for 8 years.  I use it to sweep behind my 44" rear discharge deck every week.  Still works great and collector is still in great shape.  It picks up pretty muck everything but rocks.

leeave96

I have a Parker sweeper. It does a great job behind my 36 or 42 inch rear discharge deck. I haven't used it for several years as I like the grass to go back in to the ground so I don't sweep anymore Unless I get behind and there are a lot of clippings showing on the lawn.

Another thing you can do with your sweeper is stripe the lawn. But you gave me an idea By not gathering the grass because it is a natural fertilizer.

I might try my sweeper with out the basket to both stripe the lawn but also when I am mowing with the rear discharge deck to also scatter the clippings a little bit better.

Lane Ranger
  • I have a Parker lawn sweeper now.   I bought one last year that was basically brand new for about a third of the original cost.
I wanted a Parker as I new they were well made and function great.   I used an Agri-Fab sweeper for four years.    The Agri-Fab operated ok but just was not as strong a machine as the Parker.  If you have a nice lawn, have clippings, lots of leaves etc.   they are handy to have .
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

dsholler

Well, I decided to forgo the Parker as it was about 8 times the price of the Craftsman 38 inch (I think it is made by Agri-fab, but have not found any proof of that yet)  I picked up. After a bit of fiddling with the height adjustment, and straightening the bag frame It works beautifully. Just went and swept up the clippings I had piled in a windrow when cutting the lawn.. I had left it a bit late, so it required two passes to get them all, but that is it. The real issue is how nice the lawn looks after sweeping... there is no way I have the time to sweep the whole thing every time I cut it :).  Thanks for your advice and help.

papaglide

I just bought an Agri-Fab a couple weeks ago and I am impressed. Like others have said it picks up EVERYTHING with the exception of an occasional pine cone. I am very happy with my purchase.

squonk

Just got done bailing some more hay.  I'm not even taking it apart to store it. Been mowing every 4 days and need the sweeper every time.

Forest Road

I have a family friend who has been using a sweeper with a 42" rd for as long as I can recall. He wouldn't have it any other way. The sweeper is economical, requires little maintenance, and he can see at a glance if its full.

I don't know what brand he uses. He's worn a few out in the past 30+ years.

nylyon

Late to the party. With the weather changing, the grass stays damp a lot longer and grows super fast.  I harvested today and went to put on my old sweeper and it was just plain shot.  Off to Tractor Supply to pickup an Agri-Fab 44" Sweeper.  My old sweeper must have been getting WAY old because I don't remember it working this well ever.  This Agri-Fab picked up everything and stood up all the grass so a second cutting was in order.

For me it's always worked best pulled behind the 42" RD deck. For that second mowing however, I used the SD on the 414, and Brittany followed behind and to the right with the 416 and the sweeper picking up the clippings.  It did an awesome job!  This particular model really shoots the grass to the back, so no more stopping to push the clippings to the rear.  Now just have to find a place to store the thing!

squonk

That's what nice about the Brinly. I can unhook it, Roll it into the shed, take it apart and store it against the wall in like 5 min. :thumbs:

Hodge71

Have always been very impressed with the way mine performs...just, it's buried so deep in the shed, I don't have the ambition to dig it out every fall. Usually, seems easier to just blow the leaves into a windrow and mulch 'em up.  

Craig,

Anytime you'd like to sell that sweeper and make more room for say another round hood, please let me know. I would love to own it!!! I would even help you dig it out of the shed and bring a few beverages to share afterwards while we talk about red in  the shed.

squonk

Craig,

Anytime you'd like to sell that sweeper and make more room for say another round hood, please let me know. I would love to own it!!! I would even help you dig it out of the shed and bring a few beverages to share afterwards while we talk about red in  the shed.if you we're at the big show in Pa this past year, you could have bought it.

AMC RULES

Yes!   :handgestures-thumbsup:  :handgestures-thumbsup: 

Bring those beverages to my house first Jeff, then stop by KenB's to talk about that sweeper.   :)  

• Like 1

squonk

See, you should have waited to clean out the shed!

AMC RULES

OH...there's lots more where that came from.   :)