Sign in to follow this  
Horse'n Around

Mid mount grader blade for a 753 question

Horse'n Around

Howdy,

Im joining the ranks of those building a mid mount grader for my 753. I think I pretty much got most of it all figured out by researching past threads from fplks that have built them but the one thing I really need to know badly is how tall should a mid mount blade that's compatible with a 753 be? A friend gave be a sweet piece of pipe that has been split in half lengthwise. I spilt it down the middle again and ended up with 2 blades that are about 10" tall by 60" long and 1/4" thick . I cut one length to 40" to make a Mid mount and the other will probably be cut to 50 and I'll make a rear mount out of that one. My concern is that with a blade 10" tall in the mid mount position Im afraid the blade might be too tall and not allow me enough clearance to raise it high enough off the ground when not using it. It would be less than 3" off the ground when it's all the way up against the frame.

I bought a late style attach a matic to put on the 753. If I understand correctly, the 753 didn't use a attach a matic originally so when choosing the location to mount the one I bought, am I correct in assuming that it should be mounted as far forward on the frame as the tie rods will allow? 

Thanks,

John

wingrider

John  I built one years ago and it was built to fit on a 753 tractor also. I made two L shaped brackets to bolt to tractor frame and then down to the

pivot hole where it was pinned to the main part of the turn table.  I used a old cutting edge that was wore out. The blade was about centered 

between the wheels, and it worked fine.

About a year ago I started to build another version of that same blade, this time I bought 2 8" by 48" grader cutting edges from my blade supplier. I bought 2 so I might make one to sell if all goes the way I plan.

I am pinning it to the mid attach a matic for easy hookup. I think I'll have enough room to lift it up high enough to clear the ground fine. I hope to

finish it up in a couple weeks 

Good Luck with yours they can be very useful for a lot of things

Wingrider  

• Like 1

squonk

John, Did you see this?

• Like 1

Horse'n Around

That's for the help guys. Your lifesavers and I really appreciate it. Wingrider, your 8" tall blade got me to thinking and I think Im going to trim a few inches off one edge of the blade and make it  7" to 7.25" tall. After reading what you posted, I placed the blade under the chassis just to see what I would be working with and 2.5 " of clearance with the blade up is about all that I'd get with the 10" blade, and that's not nearly enough. We have really uneven, rocky terrain here and I feel much better having 5.5"or 6" of clearance.

Mike, actually reading your post finally made me decide to build one and possibly make it fit mid and rear :)  If I make it to where it will attack to the mid and rear axle mount, I am going to make it so I can interchange the 40" blade for the 50" when its on the back for a wider cut.  Our place sits on top of a hill all by itself and the final few hundred yards of the road is steep uphill and winding with a good 70 to 80 foot sheer drop on one side. One of the times it snowed this winter I had to get a run at it to get up so I steered off to the other side and I was sliding almost sideways most of the way up. Yup you read that right....snow in Arizona :banana-tux:   I have proof.. I took some pictures  :) Not much compared to back east and all but snow none the less  All together we got a foot and a half of it. Three times we got 3 inches then the last time we got about 9" all together that day but the sun always comes out later in the day and it was pretty much all gone by the next day or so believe it or not.

Im sure looking forward to getting it built and smoothing the dirt road to our place. Its all chewed up and rutted and boy oh boy it sure can rattle the ole kidneys !

Thanks again !!

John

squonk

If you look at these pics, In the 2nd pic, the small part on the lower right hooks to the rear snowplow mount for the back blade. In the ist pic , the part on the lower left hooks to the front mower quick hitch mount. The funky looking part in the 2nd. pic connects to a link on the lift shaft.

post-2380-0-51910400-1367398514_thumb.jp

post-2380-0-25141700-1367398536_thumb.jp

Edited by squonk