tombones49

36" mower deck spindle shaft replacement circa 1969

tombones49

My '69 Commando V7, model 1-4741, has a 36" mower deck, model 57361. The three spindles do not have grease fittings and are making noise. The spindle shaft, ( with bearings ), is avaliable on the web. It looks like all that is needed to replace the shaft/bearing assembly is to remove the pulley, re-insert the pully bolt most of the way, then smack the bolt with a good sized hammer. This would drive the shaft out of the spindle housing such that the shaft would drop onto the concrete below the deck. I could then remove the "blade driver" at the bottom of the shaft, put it on the new shaft and then insert the new shaft into the spindle housing. AM I CORRECT IN WHAT I HAVE SAID?

OR.... does the spindle shaft come out from the top side? What are the chances the spindle housing will bust apart when ths shaft gets smacked from either end?

Thanks for any answers,   tombones49post-9996-0-25406200-1367274191.png

Doubletrouble

No no no. The 4 bolts that hold the housing to the deck need to be removed. After you remove the pulley and the blade hub of course. Once to remove the spindle housing you'll be able to lift the bearing/shaft assembly out in one piece and replace it.

• Like 1

tombones49

Okay Double Trouble, if I understand correctly what I should do is:

1) Remove the belt pulley, blade and the hub that drives the blade,

2) Remove the entire spindle housing by removing the four mounting bolts,

3) Remove the bad spindle, ( w/bearings ), and insert the new spindle.

Will the old spindle remove from the top or the bottom of the spindle housing?

Will there be a 'C" ring or the like that needs to be removed?

( It may be obvious once I have the housing out, but I fighure it may be best to ask ).

Is there any special way the blade hub is best removed without damage?

Does a spindle housing ever wear out? If so, how can I tell that it is worn out?

If this works, I will send you a Million Dollar bill.   Really.

tombones49

Hey Double Trouble trouble, I just noticed that you are in Wyckoff NJ..

I am in Midland Park NJ. We are 5 minutes apart.

Call me, I would love to talk with you and see your Commando V7.

tombones49      214-616-0820

Doubletrouble

The spindle housing usually don't wear out. Once you remove it from the deck it will pull out the top.(the side that mated to the deck)

I'm not sure where you read that I was in NJ but I'm in N.W.Ohio. outside of Toledo. Good luck with the bearings. If ya need anything else just post.

tombones49

Thanks for the help on spindle shaft removal on my WH 36" mower deck. The pulleys did not want to come off so I unbolted the three arbors, (  which left the pulleys flush on the mower deck surface ), then put a bolt back into the spindle shafts then struck the top of the bolts with a hammer. This worked perfectly to remove the pulleys. I then had the old spindles pressed out and the new spindles pressed in. And yes, the spindles did press out of the top side of the arbor. Oh Happy Day!!!

Now, about the million dollars I want to mail to you. I retired and sold my printing company in 2006. Before I sold it I printed  a bunch of million dollar bills. No advertising or church stuff is on the bills. I did put the dates for Pearl Harbor and 9-11 on the face of the bills in really small type. Also, you can sign your own name in as Secretary of the Treasury. Someone else can sign as Secretary of Commerce. All that being said, email a mailing address to me and I can send you the million dollars I said I would.

Blessings,   tombones49@gmail.com

tombones49

Attached is a photo of my 1969 unrestored 36" mower deck. I am uncertain if the two hanger bars should be Above or Below the two adjuster pins. See the circled area on the photo. The deck was disassembled by the previous owner. I have never had a mower deck and I am not sure he put it back together correctly. I have now de-rusted the deck, installed three new spindle bearings, and painted the deck. On re-assembly, should the two hanger bars fit Above or Below the two adjuster pins?post-9996-0-26677800-1370616011.jpg

post-9996-0-89568000-1370616248_thumb.pn

Jennifer
On 6/7/2013 at 9:46 AM, tombones49 said:

Attached is a photo of my 1969 unrestored 36" mower deck. I am uncertain if the two hanger bars should be Above or Below the two adjuster pins. See the circled area on the photo. The deck was disassembled by the previous owner. I have never had a mower deck and I am not sure he put it back together correctly. I have now de-rusted the deck, installed three new spindle bearings, and painted the deck. On re-assembly, should the two hanger bars fit Above or Below the two adjuster pins?post-9996-0-26677800-1370616011.jpg

post-9996-0-89568000-1370616248_thumb.pn

The one I have shows above but I don’t even know it mine is right!  I am trying to figure my deck out is how I found this thread....  I know this is old but if nothing else could you tell me if you got your hooked up!  How you like it!

C14791C9-05E0-447D-BACC-AF54AB46E4D2.jpeg

gwest_ca

Manual Click on the picture

Garry