Sign in to follow this  
whfh99

414-8 Axle Seal Blew Out

whfh99

Hi all,

Hoping to get some help here. I have a 1988 414-8 with about 1,200 hours on it. About a month ago, I noticed some minor seepage from the right axle seal. I ordered a new one and went to replace it. I accidentally broke a small piece out of the bearing behind it while trying to remove the seal (screw driver with hammer wasn't the best tool!). It looked like the rollers were okay so we put the seal back in. About a month later the seal blew out and leaked fluid all over the inside wheel/tire, ground, garage, etc.

My questions are:

1. Is there a vent on this transmission which could be plugged and cause the seal to blow out?

2. Could the minor bearing damage to the outer race cause this and how?

3. Can some one help me find a service manual for the transmission and/or tractor?

I'm hoping to avoid splitting the case by trying anything first and am looking for some input from anyone who has replaced the seals. This tractor has been in my family since new and I have every intention of keeping it for ever. We've rebuilt the motor at about 1,000 hours so the transaxle is the last place I haven't 'visited'.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Link Moser

Gilford, NH

1988 414-8, 42' side discharge deck and rototiller

oldandred

when you say you nicked the bearing did you by chance leave a sharp piece on the out side of the bearing that will cut the new seal another thing jack up the rear and see f theres any movement of the wheel up and down if so the bearing is bad and then you get split the case use the Id number of the tractor and go here

https://lookup3.toro.com/request/request.cfm

for a manual

tookies

I just went through this with a GT-14. It sounds like your outer bearing is shot. Mine eventually broke down and I had to remove the rear axle, split the uni-drive in half, tap out the old bearing, put in a new one with a new oil seal, and havent had a problem since.

The bearing is a tight fit around the axle. It sounds like with it being damaged its allowing pressure that would ordinarily be checked by the bearing to ooze in on the seal causing it to burst.

It s not as bad as it sounds and after all was said and done it costs me about $30 for parts.

I wrote about it a few weeks ago on the Wheel Horse Tractor thread under GT-14 Transaxle problems.........

whfh99

After looking at the bearing a little closer. It seems all the pins fell out after I broke the outer race. Ordered up all new seals & bearing and we're going to split the case tonight and rebuild the entire thing. Hopefully I won't need to the the inside for another 15+ years.

thanks,

link

CasualObserver

Link... don't forget the unidrive casing gasket... after you split the case you'll need a new gasket before it goes back together.