Sign in to follow this  
meadowfield

One of those days!!!

meadowfield

Well, my son was away for 3 days on his duke of Edinburgh award and times a ticking to the first show...

He already has a thread on the restore, but today has been one nightmare after another. We got the engine bolted down last week, today should have been as simple as starting it :(

Trying to be organised and methodical I started on the carb. But before I could get to that I noticed this.

Bradford-20130427-00389_zps4a0babba.jpg

The e clips had disappeared and been replaced with this! Ten minutes later it was a little more presentable.

Next job to clean out the threads in the body where the air filter screws in... One was in a poor state, a run through with a 4 BA tap helped, being careful to make sure the ball for holding the choke open was put back in.

Bradford-20130427-00390_zps18957e38.jpg

A quick gasket was cut out and the air filter bolted on.

Bradford-20130427-00391_zpsd9ba3df3.jpg

The next two hours were a mixture of cursing and drinking gas! The fuel pump refused to draw any fuel or pump it into the carb. I stripped the pump and it was full of water and crud. I cleaned it out with petrol and blew it through with the airline. No matter how many times I cleaned and tested it out of the engine it would not pull fuel through. Sucking gas through helped, but it wouldn't run. Pressurising the tank didn't work either. Finally I blew fuel back through the filter and it fired into live. Hooking the pipe straight to the filter saw it run for 20 mins and get nice and warm.

Bradford-20130427-00394_zpse5bc06e8.jpg

The governor linkages are really worn and it's hunting quite bad, but we can sort that later.

The next pain was the exhaust... It looked like the right exhaust, but for some reason it sat 3 inches too low and fouled on the hood. A few hours of cutting and grinding and finally it fitted as it should.

Bradford-20130427-00395_zpsf8d0f29a.jpg

So what I thought was a quick job turned into an all day job :D

• Like 2

wheeledhorseman

That muffler looks like its from the same aftermarket source that were fitted to two of mine when they arrived. They either foul on the hood and / or scortch the paint on the hood over a period of time.

It's a good thing that 'dad' is into tractors eh? - otherwise it wouldn't be progressing at the rate it is. So good work dad!

Andy

• Like 1

meadowfield

Andy,

It's identical to the one on the C-101, made by Nelson so think irs original. For some reason someone had cut the bends out and welded a longer piece of pipe in.

stevasaurus

I'm confused...all of that complaining and then a smiley face at the end. :ychain:   It is only a bad day with the horses if you run out of your favorite beverage. :)   Nice work and I know the feeling.  As far as the surging...take that top screw out and spray some carb cleaner down the hole.  Also, that screw has some small holes in it...poke a thin wire in the holes with some carb clean and reset.  TT taught me that trick. :bow-blue:

Stigian

These little problems are all part of the fun Mark :D

ericj

i found when a kohler carb hunts to check the throttle shaft for play may need new throttle shaft. i have a friend that make new shafts out of round stock brass and you don't have to mess with the carb body, no need for bushings

eric j 

KC9KAS

Looks like a nice tractor. Thanks for the photos.

meadowfield

well, we got a bit further....

24FFDF1B-5CEC-4804-8BC1-1778733466F4-490

I hope Ewan gets chance to post some pictures tonight for you all to see - it should be under his C-121 restoration thread.