Sign in to follow this  
bitten

I'll take 3 of em.

bitten

AMC RULES

I think I could maybe let one those in the :wh: stable too. 

KC9KAS

Not sure I could handle 3 of them.....Maybe 2.....You were talking about the gal, right?

• Like 1

AMC RULES

At least the shirt is the right color.   :)

Ken B

I doubt very much that they will sell very many of them. If a homeowner can afford that tractor then they can certainly afford to have a lawn service cut their lawn. You would think John Deere would concentrate their efforts on the Zero turn market for the professional landscaper. I NEVER see a professional landscaper haulin a John Deere, its all Scags and and Exmarks around here.

refracman

Lets put it in perspective, a 1972 GT14 cost $1,800 new and didn't even come with a deck! You could get a 72 ford maverick for $1,995.

I think the author is a city slicker that lives in a condo :ychain:  

Don1977

My C-120 that I bought in 1977 for $2200 would have been $8216 in 2012. That 1/2 acre they say you can mow with a $500 push mower probable has a house and drive way that take half of it.

6wheeler

Wow. I guess I won't be getting one of those. I can buy a 150 hp JD farm tractor for that price. Sure, it won't be new. But it will have a diesel engine, cab and heat and air. Tilt steering, AM/FM radio, 3 point hitch, rear PTO. And probably duals. Of course my fictional favorite neighbor Buffy, up there in Bentwater estates probably wouldn't like my shed with 12 foot tall doors to park it in either. But I bet I could put a very large belly mower on it.

Stigian

I'm sure I could find a use for the engine out of that... Once it's been resprayed in red of course :D

• Like 1

KC9KAS

Lets put it in perspective, a 1972 GT14 cost $1,800 new and didn't even come with a deck! You could get a 72 ford maverick for $1,995.

And, you see more GT14 than Mavericks today!!

AMC RULES

And, you see more GT14 than Mavericks today!!

I don't know about all that now...you just gotta know where to look.   :scared-eek: 

http://mmb.maverick.to/index.php

leeave96

If I won the lottery, I wouldn't mind having a 700 series JD.  If I were going to buy a new tractor today, it would likely be the JD x530.  If I wanted something as big as the 700 series, I would likely get a Simplicity Legacy with 60 inch deck.  IMHO, the reason folks buy the 700 series tractors is primarily for mowing with some other chores thrown in, like snow blowing or pulling a cart.  It's hard to beat the Simplicity quality of cut - that would be the difference for me.

On the other hand, I finished mowing with my handy dandy Wheelhorse 314-8 w/36 inch RD deck this evening and was sitting on it after I parked it talking to my oldest boy and explaining to him that while there are heavy duty tractors being made, like the 700 series, no one makes a tractor in the Wheelhorse, IH Cub Cadet package size as stout as this old iron.  An x530 would be a great tractor, but I don't think I'd put a moldboard plow on it - don't think the tranny would like it long term.  The Wheelhorse, a walk in the park.  I consider the true measure of a "garden" tractor as one that can handle a moldboard plow.  The problem I see with the 700 series is they are so wide, not sure a single moldboard would work and not sure the tractor would handle a double moldboard plow - even if one was made.  Even if I won the lottery, I would think after owning these old tractor, a 700 series might be a bit boring.  I had a great ride today mowing with the Wheelhorse.  Great tractor, lots of history, character, color, conversation (like on this board) and when my 314-8 was new (the paint is a bit faded now), I'd say it was a Rolls Royce of a tractor too.  I'll just keep what I've got.

Thanks!

Bill

bewford

It's green and yeller there will be plenty of morons buy them.

bitten

The four wheel drive and 3 cylinder diesel would be nice. I think that for that kind of money in the Wheel Horse world I could live without these extras and have a GT with all the attachments and still have $$ left over. Not really putting the JD down as Im sure it is a good tractor just not for me. 

MarkPalmer

Deere sells a good amount of their high end 700 series- but not to Joe Homeowner.  Most are at businesses and schools and the like, as general utility tractors.  I see a lot of them throwing snow around Erie.  They are machines that fit the line between a garden tractor and a larger CUT, so the price is about right. 

-Mark-