Sign in to follow this  
brandonozz

Priming in a D series pump?

brandonozz

I have finally found a transaxle for a D200 that I purchased that had sat for over 5 years.  Got it all cleaned up and reassembled and will be getting installed in the next day or two.  My question is this..... anyone ever tryed to prime a pump that has sat for quite a long time?  I know there is still oil in the pump but I don't know how much and the manual really doesn't discuss any needed priming but I thought it would be a good idea if possible. 

Here is my thought.  Once installed and full of oil, could I open the tow valve move teh motion control to forward then turn the wheels and "pump" the oil up to the pump?

Anyone ever tried this and would you think it would be benneficial?

Thanks for your comments.

Trouty56

Change the filter (probably already did this), fill the tranny to full, and jack the rear up.  Place jack stands under each axle housing.  Start the engine and let it run a while.  The charge pump will do its job of filling the lines.  Push the DCL forward and then reverse a few times.  Run the lifts up and down a bit.  Shut it down and check the oil level in the rear.  Fill to full again.  Take it off the jack stands and give it a shot.

• Like 1

chrisd200(inactive)

That sounds good to me. Thats how we purge/prime new hydro systems at the shop.

brandonozz

Bob, so your saying the pump will still prime in OK even if the oil has drained down over time?  I just didn't know if it would be OK to turn the pump even though it had sat so long and may only have residual oil inside.

wheeledhorseman

Agree with Bob's description but would add the following.

When filling the tranny using a funnel go slowly as you near to full - air being displaced can send oil in the funnel everywhere (done that!)

The implement circuit will be noisy for some time as air is chased out of the system - quite a loud buzzing from the implement valve unit when the engine is running and when the piston(s) are operated.

Mine have needed topping up again on the second day after a bit more air has been displaced.

Re pump priming, I would expect there to be enough oil film left for the pump to work. The hydro charge pump is very like an automobile design and I've never had a problem with cars that have stood for many years.

Andy

Trouty56

Bob, so your saying the pump will still prime in OK even if the oil has drained down over time?  I just didn't know if it would be OK to turn the pump even though it had sat so long and may only have residual oil inside.

Thanks Chris and Andy for helping Brandonozz.....  Should work out for you just fine.....

• Like 1

JamesBe1

Bob's description on how to prime a pump is the best I've hear so far. 

I doubt that they were so cautious at the factory.  They probably just filled them with oil and fired them up. Which is pretty much what I do.  I'm guessing that the charge pump will pretty fast on it's own.

j

brandonozz

Thanks for all the replies! 

I haven't even been able to get the tractor started as it had a cracked case when I got it and have been going thru another transaxle getting it ready.  I've got my fingers crossed that everything will work out after I get the fuel system cleaned out and she fires up.  The diff bolt came loose inside and cracked the case on the PO.  The PO had pulled the hydraulic mannifold from the motor and stopped there and that is where I picked it up after it sat for several years.  I agree there should be some oil in the pump as there was some oil in the motor when I pulled it.

You guys are the best... cant beat the knowledge on this site and the willingness by it's members to share their experience.

• Like 1