Sign in to follow this  
thirdjoker

help on 1st purchase

thirdjoker

Hi, This is my 1st post and I'm asking for opinions from those of you with more experience.I've been into cars my whole life and recently got married,settled down and sold all of my builds.I have the oportunity to purchase 3 wheel horse projects.

i do not know which will be better to work on.(IE) parts availability,cost,difficulty,etc.

1958 RJ-58 complete,original k91,new carb,new exhaust,runs,with plow $ 500

1960 suburban 400 kohler 4 hp,original ,including tires,not running $ 450

1964 ranger,7hp non original tecumseh,with deck ,runs $ 500.

I am not looking to build a perfect tractor,just one i can have fun with and rebuild when i fell like it.I dont know the model differences,if its original or not,or which ones are worth more than the others.

Please feel free to give honest answers and if you can tell me what i 'm getting into- please do. thanks ahead of time._____ Darryl.....PS I'm trying to talk myself out of buying all 3.....

neil

If i were you i would buy all three

but if i were to buy them individually i would buy them in this

RJ58

Suburban

Ranger

The RJ 58 is one of my favorite tractors, although on the small side to carry out heavy works , they are great fun , & like most wheelhorse are easy to work on .

i cant say much on your prices that you would pay without pictures  but it would depend on what condition they are in i supose.

There are a lot of people on Redsquare that would love to own a RJ or any roundhood as they are becoming more hard to find .

If i had the money i would buy all three, you dont know if this deal will ever come up again .

maybe try a lower offer to buy all three ,you may get some $ knocked off

Good luck with your choice & keep us posted in what you deside to do & Welcome to Redsquare

thirdjoker

3K23Gc3H95N35Fa5J2d3od424d9c1174b1d09.jp

3G93F73Le5N25G55J3d3s7190fd08df961586.jp

here are the 58 and 64. all3 are  by seperate sellers. these are the only pictures i have.All 3 are 3-4 hours a way and in different directions. i like all 3 but i think the rj58 will for the time being- be the best deal.i'm hoping the condition its in is worth what they are asking.I'm trying to get a hold of the 60 suburban too. I just don't know enough about them to be able to make a proper offer.

AMC RULES

Agreed...58, 60, 64...in that order.  

No picts of the 60 available?   :popcorn:

:WRS:

Edited by amcrules00

thirdjoker

here is the 60. and from a member on here too. I've contacted him ( very nice gentleman ) and I'll be picking it up tommorrow.

3Ec3G73H15I95Ef5Med4ldcb0147c7a2316b4.jp

Jake Kuhn

:WRS:  I would go after the rj or the 400. The 400 looks like a nice and straight tractor and might be a easier restoration if you are looking to repaint. The 400 seems to have everything other than the guards and optional fenders. The 400 has a heat shield, but it does not look like the correct type. You can purchase reproduction belt guards and heat shields for the rj's and suburbans.

~Jake

thirdjoker

thanks for the replies.As per the above post-I've arranged to pick up the 400 tommorrow and am trying to also contact the owner of the RJ 58. Here it's very difficult to even find one. I wasn't really thinking about getting more than one -but i'm thinking if I don't i may not be able to find it again. Thanks again for the suggestions. So here's to tommorrow-more to follow!!!!!!!!

neil

Both Tractors would be a good buy as they are quite similar in looks , and the Plow on the RJ would be a good asset too

Get Both

neil

I remember when i got my first round hood i couldnt sleep the night before , i was  so excited about going to collect it.

I bet you are now scouring Redsquare to find out as much info + pics of Suburbans as possible, cos thats what i did when i bought mine

Good luck with your new tractor , i am sure it wont be the last that you buy ,

• Like 2

AMC RULES

Listen to what Neil is saying, and start clearing out extra space for your  :wh: storage asap.   :handgestures-thumbsup:

thirdjoker

I'm laughing---i was just on ebay looking to see what's available.Have already saved links to pictures. Ha Ha !!!!

• Like 1

KC9KAS

:WRS:  Sounds like the addiction has hit you hard!

thirdjoker

AND to top it off--- I have never even seen one in person!!!!!!

neil

I'm laughing---i was just on ebay looking to see what's available.Have already saved links to pictures. Ha Ha !!!!

See....... i told you so :flags-wavegreatbritain:  :thumbs:

you are now well and truly  an addict

The next thing you will booking time off work to go to the wheelhorse collector show .in june to see all the other wheelhorse tractors :)

546cowboy

Looks like you've already gone over the edge. Won't be long before the stable is overflowing with ponies! Of course it is cheaper than having a garage full of cars. Welcome to the world of Wheel Horsitis. You'll be even worse when you can actually drive them around you know.

KATO

Don't fight it ...it will win  :auto-layrubber:

• Like 1