Sign in to follow this  
KC9KAS

My Motorcycle

KC9KAS

I have had a coolant leak all winter on my Gold Wing motorcycle. I searched & searched all winter and couldn't see where the anti-freeze was actually leaking from.

I took it to the local shop that we use to have it checked out and fixed.

The good news: $16 worth of "O" rings

The bad news: $700 labor!

bth_P26151642_zps44fbff98.jpg?t=13670206      bth_P26151536_zps2ebc407f.jpg?t=13670206

I saw parts of my bike today that I have never seen! I sure hope the guy working on it knows how to put it back together.......with NO left-over parts!

chazm

Well if he doesn't have any parts left over, then he can't be all dat :ychain:

Have fun riding when shes done :handgestures-thumbupright:

Chasm   :flags-waveusa:

Vinylguy

My brothers 97 Goldwing is leaking antifreeze also.

All that tupperware looks nice but time consuming for maintenance.

I have 110,000 miles on my 97 Valkyrie and (Knocking on wood) have

had no leaks of any kind so far. 

Coadster32

Looks like a nightmare in there. :omg:

I've done a bunch of work to my V-star, and nothing looked as intimidating as all of that.

neil

Looking at all that electronics etc would terrfy the life out of me

6wheeler

I have had a coolant leak all winter on my Gold Wing motorcycle. I searched & searched all winter and couldn't see where the anti-freeze was actually leaking from.

I took it to the local shop that we use to have it checked out and fixed.

The good news: $16 worth of "O" rings

The bad news: $700 labor!

bth_P26151642_zps44fbff98.jpg?t=13670206      bth_P26151536_zps2ebc407f.jpg?t=13670206

I saw parts of my bike today that I have never seen! I sure hope the guy working on it knows how to put it back together.......with NO left-over parts!

Nice pics. They do look a bit overwhelming when you remove the dress don't they? I bought my 91' Wing wrecked in 1992 after the PO had hit a deer with it. It had 7000 miles on it. And came in a box. The frame was complete rolling chassis. Only the headlight assm. and the dash pod and cowel along with the right saddle bag and trunk were with the bike. I put a used triple tree and legs on the front that were donated by a 92 that was rear ended. From that same bike I got the heater plumbing and all the vents, plus the windshield,  windshield garnish, mirrors and all of the side lights and turn signal lenses. I took the color code off of the dash cowel and ordered a new fairing, lowers and all of the mounting hardware plus the side covers and the lower cowel and the exhaust shields from Honda. They all came painted and matched the existing saddle bag and trunk. I replaced all of the hoses and o-rings along with the timing belts before I put it back together. I figured since it was apart that far I might as well do it. At the time I had paid $2300.00 for the bike and all total(not counting my time) had $1600.00 in parts for a total of $3900.00 dollars. Not bad for a 1 year old 1500 wing. Now the bike has 170,000 relatively trouble free miles on it. But it does smoke a bit when I start it, so I am thinking of pulling it apart and doing an engine overhaul. Maybe I will even throw in a dupont overhaul too. What kind of tires do you use? The last set I bought were the Dunlop Elite II for the rear and a Metzler 880 for the front.  I am sure it seems like an odd combination but, I couldn't get very many miles out of the front with a Dunlop on it. A friend of mine tried this combo on his and had good results so I went with it too. It handles very well, much better than both Dunlops and I haven't had the front tire cupping. I have been thinking of the radials because I am going to need some new tires this year. Also, I put the 1200 springs in the front with fantastic results. It doesn't "wallow" in the corners now because the springs are a bit stiffer.

KC9KAS

I wouldn't get too excited about a little "smoke" on start-up. The shop that I have my bike at said they have only seen a couple of 1500's that DIDN'T smoke on start-up....But at 170K miles, may be time.

I use the E3's front & rear...usually 2 rears to 1 front....I am not an agressive rides, so I have "Chicken Strips" on my tires!

I have been riding motorcycles for 44 years, and was going to take a riders training/skills course this weekend with our GWRRA club, but the bike won't be finished until next week.

Have fun and be safe!

Vinylguy

I had a 1981 1100 wing with 70k miles when I got it. rode it to 108k  went through two sets of Dunlops

Best $1400 spent and still my favorite wing. She was tired and needed major repairs so I found a nice 84 1200 for $3000

with 39k on it. another great bike but of course the stator went south and my brother came to the rescue and we 

spent $287 and 20 hours tearing all the skins and pulling the motor. Lola and I put 40k enjoyable miles on that one also.

Then came our 97 Valkyrie. Nothing compares to it. the 1500 is by far the most dependable and care free engine I have had.

Weve put about 30 k on her so far and a ton of gas. LOL  Tires are another matter. The Valkyries eat tires so I decided to go to the dark side

with the rear tire. I mounted a Good Year  Triple Tread Assure 205 on her and have now over 15k and the tire looks like new for only $95

as compared to $185 for Avons. Balancing beads in the front tire. This Valkyrie will be the last bike I ever buy for touring. You can still find

them in great condition for a fourth of the cost of a new bike. Pros = Comfort, Handling, Power, Reliability, Low center of gravity and pure fun. Cons = Tires and Gas

But the Smiles per gallon amazing

I knew I was not the only wheel Horse nut who loves to ride. 

6wheeler

Yep Terry. I think there are several of us that like to ride. I was looking at the Continental tires today. Still not sure though. KC9KAS, not too concerned with the puffs quite yet. I know all of the wings I've had puffed a little. They always get a little leak down on the valve guides. My count goes as of now 2 GL1000's (76 and 77). 2 GL 1100's (80 and 83) 1 GL1200 (87) And then, my current GL1500 (91). Oh yeah, I had a 84 GL 1200 standard for a while, so I guess that makes 2 1200's. I've also had 2 (75) Harley 900 sportsters, 2 (67) Triumph Bonnevilles, an (82) Honda 500 custom, an (83) Honda GL 650 Silverwing, A (96) Harley 883 Sportster (I was going to make it into a dirt bike), And a (80) Harley FLH. My faves by far were the Bonnies. Then followed by the GL 1100's for pure sport/touring. Then the 1500 came along. Smooth, fast, tunes. Oh yeah, it has it all. I've been looking at the new Victory bikes though.. Very interesting.

• Like 1

JUSS10

Both my father and i have gl1000s. his is a 79 and mine is a 77. His we rebuilt and pulled all the fairings. mine is still in pieces but bought it as a basket case. its rolling now but hope to get it on the road in a few years. too many projects!

• Like 1

KC9KAS

I wanted a GL so bad when they 1st came out in 75, but my wife wanted to build a house.

Finally in early 79 I found a nice Vetter dressed 78 GL1000 with 9000 miles. We rode that bike everywhere.

In July of 1980 we had a daughter. I bought a Jawa sidecar and in 1982 made a 6000 mile/3 week vacation to California and back. My tires were new for the trip and the back tire was a "May-Pop" by the time we got home. You know what a May-Pop is....it may pop at any time!

That 78 made several trips to Denver and to Tampa Fl, plus thousands of "local" miles. It had 80,000 miles when I sold it a few years ago.

I bought a 89 trike in 2005....Thought that may be my only chance to upgrade. I hated to ride the trike, so I was going to sell it, but my wife asked if I would keep it for her to ride. She got her M/C licenses and rides the trike now, and in 2010 I bought a 96 GL1500 with 60,000 miles on it. Unless I win the lottery, it will probably be my last bike, as I started life over again with a new home & wife in 1994, so I have house payments until I am 75 years old!

• Like 1

c161rat

I have never had a coolant leak problem on my bike......oh wait... that's cause I don't have coolant...LOL!!!! I have chased many oil leaks over the years though!!!!  Still fighting an inner primary seal problem......Harleys are designed so well!!!!! a 2009 streetglide with 30,000 should not be leaking oil!!!!!

Lars

I have never had a coolant leak problem on my bike......oh wait... that's cause I don't have coolant...LOL!!!! I have chased many oil leaks over the years though!!!!  Still fighting an inner primary seal problem......Harleys are designed so well!!!!! a 2009 streetglide with 30,000 should not be leaking oil!!!!!

Well Rat.. them are built that way from the factory!!!!!!

• Like 2

6wheeler

Maybe OPEC has a  few shares in HD. I always thought if my Harleys didn't leak they had a problem :auto-biker:  :teasing-poke:  :teasing-neener:  :teasing-neener:

• Like 1

c161rat

Maybe OPEC has a  few shares in HD. I always thought if my Harleys didn't leak they had a problem :auto-biker:  :teasing-poke:  :teasing-neener:  :teasing-neener:

The problem is they are out of oil.....time to put more in!!!!! LOL that's how you know a Harley needs oil...it stops leaking!!!

• Like 1

KC9KAS

Just picked the Wing up from the shop.....Going to do a little riding after work tomorrow and maybe Wednesday.