Sign in to follow this  
Jake Kuhn

removing shifter with broken screw advice

Jake Kuhn

Hi guys,

I purchased a carcus of a 753 last weekend for 30 bucks mainly just because it had this tranny and front wheels on it. I would like to crack the case on it and see how it looks, I am not expecting much as it is really rusty and was FULL of water. I got the hubs, pulley, and brake drum right off with the air chisel but ran into trouble with the shifter. I started to loosen the nut and before putting any pressure at all on it, it snapped off flush to my luck. Should I just try drilling it out and hope I can retap the threads?

I still have the adventure of getting the hitch out too! LOL

Thanks, Jake

stevasaurus

Not sure if that is hardened Jake...had one of those that you sent to me.  I was able to drill it out...ran a tap, but did not need it really.  Try spraying penetrating oil in there...use a small drill...catch it with a small allens or star screw driver and back it out.  Only way to get the shifter out that I could see. :)

sorekiwi

Left hand drill bits often work well, and if they dont then you have your hole for the easy-out.

• Like 3

big mike

Jake,have you tried the old weld-a-nut-to it trick?

If you have access to a mig welder,preferably with .023 wire,set a plain ole hex nut over the broken bolet and weld the exposed end to the nut.......9 times out of 10 it will thread right out without any damge to the cast iron.

• Like 1