Sign in to follow this  
stevasaurus

Muffler take Off Tool

stevasaurus

Some other time.

Edited by stevasaurus

squonk

I have almost the same thing but it is a vise grip chain wrench. Even bought the extension chain for it. I had to have it years ago.When removing the belt pulley on an Eagle Premier (the 2nd "unfixable car" that Chrysler had next to the Eagle Medallion (Renault) ). You had to put a heater hose over the chain so it wouldn't mar the pulley. The bolt was lock tighted on. You had to heat the bolt, have 1 guy hold the vise grip and then use a 3/4 drive breaker bar about 3 ft long to break the bolt loose. :jaw:

• Like 1

JimD

Clever idea Steve, though it looks like you might have put a few dings and dents or scratches in your new muffler. A strap wrench would be a good tool for this job also. :)

Trouty56

Good idea to take the old one off....  When I put those on I just put them on as tight as I can with my hands.....still hard to get off when needed.

stevasaurus

Some other time

Edited by stevasaurus

Trouty56

Sorry....but it did appear you were using the chain to tighten the new one....very good idea for removal....

JimD

If "Clever idea Steve" is your idea of being a critic, then I'm a critic. The rest was just an observation.Sorry to have ruined your thread. I won't in the future.

Buckshot 1

:) When I install any kind of muffler that threads in, I coat the threads with never-seize and never have a problem removing them. :flags-usa:

SousaKerry

:confusion-scratchheadblue: :confusion-scratchheadblue:

gwest_ca

:) When I install any kind of muffler that threads in, I coat the threads with never-seize and never have a problem removing them. :flags-usa:

Many years a veteran small-engine mechanic told me how to install a threaded muffler.

Clean the threads well with a wire brush. Coat them Never-Seize. Run a conduit nut up the threads as far as it will go followed by the muffler. Now back the muffler off one full turn. Bring the conduit nut up to the muffler and tighten with a hammer and punch. Once a year loosen the nut and remove the muffler so you can start over. Have never had a seized muffler since.

Garry

stevasaurus

I apologize to Trouty and Jim.  I am usually not very sensitive about things, but for some reason, I was a few nights ago...sorry.  Maybe I should have explained better what I was showing in the pictures. :bow-blue:   I was sitting around trying to figure out what it would take to get this muffler off with the tools that I had.  I have an assortment of pipe wrenches, strap wrenches, etc...but everything was just a little too small.  The nipple was solid, and I did not really want to get into cutting it off and beating it in with a chisel to get it out.  I looked in the end of the new muffler and saw that only about 3/8 to 1/2" of threads were involved.  This had to come off if I could find a way to grab it.  I saw a piece of bicycle chain hanging on an "S" hook and I thought if I could go around twice and grab it with a pry bar I might get the muffler to loosen.  It worked great.  I know to turn the new one on hand tight, and I staged the pictures to show what I did on the new muffler.  You may not have seen the chain on the old muffler...same color.  Anyway, I am sorry Trouty,. Here are the pictures...the dent in the muffler happened on the way home...the marks that look like scratches are oil from the chain...the picture is set up to take the muffler off.  I take a lot of kidding on this site, and I like that, I give it out also...sometimes it may seem like crossing the line.  I felt like that the other day...please, if I ever cross the line...send me a PM...I did not mean to.  Again to Trouty and JimD...sorry.

2012_0423MUFFLER0002_zpscf3885d4.jpg

2012_0423MUFFLER0004_zps9a5d2d2e.jpg

2012_0423MUFFLER0005_zps2d902334.jpg

• Like 2

varosd

Thanks Steve!   The original picture disappeared, must have been rolled up in your rant, tirade, sounding off......."becoming one with the universe" post!!

We all have those type of days, perhaps the there was a shortage of rock or rye?  remember...June is just around the corner... holy C$@%!   less than 3 months away!!! :D :D

JimD

I just got back from the hardware store with my new pry bar and bicycle chain, strap wrench, 4 foot pipe wrench, a pair of tweezers and some rubber bands, only to find that my muffler was welded on by some lunkhead. :bitch::confusion-scratchheadblue:

:ychain: Just kiddin', finally, everything is right with the World again...

• Like 1

varosd

:text-thankyouyellow:   Looking super, JimD   Steve should love this!  Did you also pick up some ball bearings and some 3-in-1 oil and some gauze pads and a Fetzer valve (Fletch)? :rolleyes:

• Like 2

JimD

:text-thankyouyellow:   Looking super, JimD   Steve should love this!  Did you also pick up some ball bearings and some 3-in-1 oil and some gauze pads and a Fetzer valve (Fletch)? :rolleyes:

Nah, you gotta be a McGyver-saurus to use a Fetzer valve. :)

• Like 1

squonk

I apologize to Trouty and Jim.  I am usually not very sensitive about things, but for some reason, I was a few nights ago...sorry.  Maybe I should have explained better what I was showing in the pictures. :bow-blue:   I was sitting around trying to figure out what it would take to get this muffler off with the tools that I had.  I have an assortment of pipe wrenches, strap wrenches, etc...but everything was just a little too small.  The nipple was solid, and I did not really want to get into cutting it off and beating it in with a chisel to get it out.  I looked in the end of the new muffler and saw that only about 3/8 to 1/2" of threads were involved.  This had to come off if I could find a way to grab it.  I saw a piece of bicycle chain hanging on an "S" hook and I thought if I could go around twice and grab it with a pry bar I might get the muffler to loosen.  It worked great.  I know to turn the new one on hand tight, and I staged the pictures to show what I did on the new muffler.  You may not have seen the chain on the old muffler...same color.  Anyway, I am sorry Trouty,. Here are the pictures...the dent in the muffler happened on the way home...the marks that look like scratches are oil from the chain...the picture is set up to take the muffler off.  I take a lot of kidding on this site, and I like that, I give it out also...sometimes it may seem like crossing the line.  I felt like that the other day...please, if I ever cross the line...send me a PM...I did not mean to.  Again to Trouty and JimD...sorry.

2012_0423MUFFLER0002_zpscf3885d4.jpg

2012_0423MUFFLER0004_zps9a5d2d2e.jpg

2012_0423MUFFLER0005_zps2d902334.jpg

I'm curious about that pry bar. Are you the original owner of it Steve? The reason I ask is that I used to work with a guy who just retired at the young age of 74. His name was Spike and he was as strong as an ox. I've never seen so many bent up tools in my life. We have an aluminum pipe wrench that has a handle that's bent at 45 degrees. I lent him a big cold chisel one day and he bent that just hitting it with a hammer. Spike liked to travel but I doubt he made it to Illinois. He left Central N.Y. once to go to Ohio and it took him 3 days. That was Spike. Full of adventure. If you ever see a guy driving a Chevy Malibu around and he has a suitcase full of ground beef (that's another story) Say hi to Spike! :)

stevasaurus

You all have to remember that the wheel was invented back when I was just a little tyke.  See what I mean Jim... :)

Don, really looking forward to the show...coming up really quick. :woohoo:

• Like 1

Trouty56

Did I miss something????  :)   I thought you were mad at Jim...not me....lol

• Like 1

MarkPalmer

They state on the package of that Arnold replacement muffler, "will not seize up."  (Must be some kind of elfin magic to it!  LOL.)  The silver paint turns kind of a nifty bronze color after running. 

-Mark-

Fun Engineer

We've all had one of those days. :)