Sign in to follow this  
47JDG

K241running issue help question

47JDG

I have a recently rebuilt K241AS that runs excellent when it wants to. It can run at times for 15 - 30 minutes or so just as smooth as can be at high throttle, then it will start to puke out and want to quite. Usually when this happens if I idle it down before it quits it will sit there and run just fine at idle, but as soon as I try to throttle it up again it will start back into this issue. Sometimes it will run like this right from the get go when I start it up cold and never run right, so it isn't a heat related kind of issue. When I throttle it up It will speed up like it wants to run then cut out like you just shut it off...which makes me think its an ignition issue like a bad connection some place. Sometimes if I pull the choke it will smooth out and run smoothly at the highly RPM with the choke pulled around half way, if I push the choke in it will then puke out. I don't think its a carb issue because it seems like it would flood out at idle if that was the case and the float was sticking, and it don't run rich when its running like normal at all. I have played around with the carb and everything seems as it should be. I replaced the condensor recently thinking this would be the issue but it still does this. Any ideas guys? Thanks

WH nut

Sounds to me like a fuel issue when you ay it smooths out with choke. Pull the bowl and make sure its clean along with the jets, also check the sreen in the tank

47JDG

I have done that. The carb seems fine. I rebuilt it less than 10 hours ago run time and have checked it again since. Sometimes this thing will run perfectly for a long period of time with no hiccups at all and then its nothing but the above explained problem.  It's an elusive type of thing, I just thought someone here may have experienced something similar.

WH nut

If you are sure the fuel system is good then replace the condensor

MalMac

I am currently having the same issues with a K321 that I just rebuilt. I rebuilt the carb right along with it. I do believe I am on the up swing though. I determine that it was a carb issue. I kept working on adjusting and have got it a lot better. thought not perfect yet but better. I did check the throttle shaft of the carb to make sure it was not too worn and needed to have a new bushing put in. The throttle shaft was fine. My next step is to tear the carb back apart and check the float again because when mine cuts out it is almost like a fuel starvation problem. Right now it runs fine but will not Idle. You might want to check your fuel cap to make sure it is venting ok. Just loosen it up while running it. It sounds like to me you do have a fuel problem. It may be something simple as you might have got a hold of some bad gas somewhere. Before I even started mine up I went and got the highest octane I could find around here. Tha'ts still no guarantee that you still won't get a hold of some bad gas.

47JDG

If you are sure the fuel system is good then replace the condensor

I am wondering if they may have possibly sold me a condensor for a magneto engine instead. They had a hard time looking it up in the parts book at the parts store I went to (not the usual store I go to). So maybe I have a brand new condensor that isn't even working? I am sure its not a fuel quality, or vent issue problem.

groundhog47

I can't be positive about the condenser concern in post 6, but a K-241  (magneto ign) I have  was run with my K-301 (batt ign) condenser before I got the screw head condenser that fits neater near points.

On the other note, how is fuel pump output, float level in carb, and chck needle to make sure not "sticky" and starvin' fuel demand. Thanks

Edited by groundhog47

47JDG

Yea, I will check the other stuff out really good groundhog47. It just seems like if any of that other stuff was off it would always run bad and not run intermittently like it does. Like I said it just runs great sometimes, exactly like it should at all speeds, then other times it will only idle. Maybe I do have something sticking in the carb. I was just leaning more towards an ignition problem, but maybe it is  some sort of freak fuel issue. I talked with another guy at a different parts store and they sell the same condenser for all of the kohler engines. It looked like the exact same one I got from the other parts store also. He said it shouldn’t make a difference because in the end a condenser is still a condenser. I guess I will look everything else over again really well.

woodchuckfarmer

A little water in your gas. Just a thought

47JDG

Well I figured out the problem tonight. I went back through everything...checked and cleaned the carb again..checked the fuel pump..blew air thru the fuel line...Everything with the fuel system was fine. I started looking over my electrical connections..What was wrong? I had the coil wired backwards. :angry-nono: Talk about feeling like a complete fool when I noticed it....I am amazed I overlooked this, and even more surprised that it would run great at times wired backwards. Problem solved! Thank you to those who replied to this thread, I appreciate the responses and help.

aremai4_27

We deal with problems similar to this at the shop a lot of times with customer's tractors.  If it seems like its running fine while you have it choked you most likely have a fuel issue, and it's most likely a carburetor.  There's certain carburetors that no matter how much you clean them out and run them trough ultra-sonic cleaners, they just won't get clean.  My best advise it to take the carburetor back of, clean it out with some carb cleaner or solvent, and run a fine wire through all the jets, and then ultra-sonic it for a decent amount of time.  If your carburetor has a metal seat that your  needle valve sits on, you're going to want to get a fine valve grinding compound and grind it to reseat it so you don't have any leaking, because that will open up an entirely new world of problems that you don't want. If it's a rubber seat, you should replace both the seat and the needle valve.  Seeing that you think its flooding, it could possibly just be that the needle valve isn't sitting right, I'd try reseating it, and then before putting the bowl back on, blow through the fuel intake on the carburetor and move the float up and down to make sure you don't have any leaking, if you do, if left siting long enough, the fuel will eventually leak from the compression chamber into the crankcase and cause all kinds of fun problems. I'd also recommend a fuel shutoff in your fuel system if you don't already have one, turning the fuel off when your done using it will also keep fuel from getting in the crankcase.  I also recommend running at least 89 octane with a ethanol treatment, all the manufactures now are telling people to use at least 89.  This will extend the life of your carburetor.  We use k100 at the shop and we've never had any problems, Sta-bilt is a popular product, but we see a lot of problems with it gumming peoples carburetors up pretty fast.

47JDG

Thanks for the response, but as I said above I never really thought it was a fuel issue. It acted to me like a condenser ignition type of problem. Sure enough it was...I had the coil wired backwards. :roll: