nylyon

Latest on me

neil

One step at a time buddy Truck & chores can wait

Good luck  for  tomorrow  Karl.

keep us posted & we are all with you at the doc`s tomorrow

Take care son

64s

We'll be praying everything works out perfectly tomorrow.

roscoemi

Keep a cool head and focus on the immediate, your health. Everything else takes a backseat to that and will wait, them 'Horses will be taken care of and can be excercised by the kids with your supervision. For now your the quality inspector instead of the line grunt. :)

953 nut

Karl, God has good work in mind for you, He is watching over you and has placed angles along your path to protect you. LISTEN TO THEM PLEASE! We are all so glad you are doing so well and look forward to your progess reports. :wh: 

:USA: 

tunahead72

It's frustrating knowing that I CAN do things, but I'm not allowed!  Can't drive, can't repair the damage to the truck (left running board needs to be fixed).  ARGH!!!

Patience, my son... :)

neil

Good luck at the Doc`s today Karl, hope all goes to plan

JimD

Karl, I hope all went well or you today. Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers. :)

kthack657

Best Wishes on a speedy recovery from today's surgery, you are in my prayers, and I can honestly say, l;isten to the doctor so that you can get better quicker, take that from experience (having to keep JimT1971 out of the garage after surgery).

Karen

nylyon

The surgery took a little over 3 hours and the doctor said that there were no surprises.  He made an incision inside my mouth and around my eye lid as to leave virtually no scar.  The bones have been placed back to where they are supposed to be, and secured with some titanium screws and plates. I'm still quite swollen but my face is back to looking symmetrical. 

Unfortunately, the double vision is not fixed :(  Today I have another appointment with a Neurotologist today to see if he can help with the facial paralysis. From there we're getting more doctors lined up.  

I have to say that I have the best neighbors on the planet.  To make things easier for my family, they put their names on a calendar and take turns making a dinner for us 5 times a week.  At first we thought that this wasn't necessary, but it has REALLY turned out to be so great because we are often being asked to go to doctors last minute, spend a lot of time on the phone speaking with people and there just isn't time to cook.  These people are amazing and we're so grateful that they're here for us.

Thank you all for the supportive comments, thoughts and prayers. 

• Like 2

KATO

EXCELLENT NEWS!! It's amazing what they can fix nowadays. Before you know it you'll be

back to your old self.

Lars

Good News Karl.. hope everything else also goes well.... Thx for let us know..

WH854

That is good news hang in there, aren't people amazing!

Chas

dclarke

Great news Karl.... Hang in there.

MalMac

Well we re-build Wheel Horse's, so Karl your proof that we can re-build Wheel Horse owners. So what shade of Red would you like to be painted? God Speed on your recovery.

Fun Engineer

This is great news Karl. Take it easy and don't rush things. Peace.

Save Old Iron

Good to hear Karl.

Reminds me of the time I feel into the upholstery machine at work. Now I'm fully recovered.

upholstery

recovered

See what I did there ...  Hope smiling doesn't hurt too much.

nylyon

That is funny.  It was just a great weekend, my daughter (Brittany) and i took a walk to the very near by cemetery to help place flags on the Veterans graves.  While I still can't pick anything heavy up, or bend over, I can walk and be semi-productive and somewhat helpful and mostly respectful. 

Aside from looking and feeling better, my conditions are the same.  I have some followup appointments and more tests next week to hopefully develop a treatment plan for both long and short terms.  My company (IBM) has been very supportive, and I am easing back into my full time schedule which allows me to be productive, continue my recovery as well as attend treatment and procedures.

My brain is racing a mile a minute with things that I need to do.  Aside from the horses, I really love camping (which is the whole reason I was working on the truck in the first place).  I have a few things I had bought and planned to install, so we could go to Hershey last weekend, unfortunately we never made it to Hershey (Megan did and her Cheer Team won 1st place) nor are my Steady-Fast's installed and I can't wait to get to the point when I can do something!  It'll kill me if I can't get camping this year even for a little bit.

• Like 1

stevasaurus

Karl, the only nice thing about double vision...it increases the horse herd by 2. :)   Hang in there and heal...always time to do things later.  Prayers with you and yours.

wheeledhorseman

I remember only too well the frustrations that followed (in my case) emergency surgery a few years back. I was in the middle of doing a lot of work on the house at the time so had to look at the unfinished stuff daily and accept it takes time to heal - though I admit to testing the boundaries most days.

It's good that your employer is supportive, my daughter's bf works for them at Hursley in the UK and I've been impressed by what I've learnt about them through him. Also good that you can laugh at Chuck's humour. I hesitate to post it here but if you're up for Monty Python humour try the Kilimanjaro Expedition.

Take care and be patient my friend.

Andy

squonk

Karl, the only nice thing about double vision...it increases the horse herd by 2. :)   Hang in there and heal...always time to do things later.  Prayers with you and yours.

That's true but stay away from the ugly women convention! :)

• Like 1

Stigian

Very funny squonk :D

Good to read your doing well Karl. I understand your frustration at not being able to do much, I get like that when I'm having one of my bad days..  But it does give me time to think over wh problems and work out solutions to them.. I just have to remember what the solutions were when I go back out to the shack :D

nylyon

Well, had several appointments today.  First was an neuro optometrist who did an exam looking for the cause of my double vision.  It appears that the 6th nerve on the left side of my face was damaged.  The 6th nerve controls the muscle which pulls the to the left (in this case).  The nerve is damaged, but not severed.  The doctor thinks that this may eventually heal itself, over the course of several months, but we discussed other options which could be taken in the next couple months, and year.  In any event, it was uplifting news that my eye sight will likely return to normal on it's own.

The second appointment was for another CT-Scan to help determine the damage to the 7th nerve (which runs along with the 6th).  I have another appointment next week to have those pictures looked at.  I hope that because the 6th nerve isn't severed, the 7th will be good too and that it will just be a matter of time.

The swelling from the surgery is just about gone, and the surgeon gave me the green light as far as that is concerned.  I will be taking it easy for several more weeks however as I learned that my injury involved a epidural hematoma which is more serious than I had originally thought.  In any event, it's a long road, but things are looking up, at least for today!

stevasaurus

Karl, you hang in there...prayers still with you and yours.  I think you are very lucky to be able to do what you are doing.  Little steps Coach..

wallfish

That sounds like good news and glad your feeling better.

VinsRJ

Best wishes Karl, its nice to read that things are moving forward for you.