Sign in to follow this  
Dieselcowboy

c160 lift cable

Dieselcowboy

Has anyone ever made a new lift cable for their w.h.? What kind of clamps do you use on the ends of the cable? What ever it is, it will have to be strong not to pull off the cable. Would you know how long that cable is suppost to be on a c160?

Don1977

Here is some information on one for an 8 speed don't know if they are all the same.

WH nut

I use 1/8 cable and cable clamps. Clevises on the ends

whc160

Do you know what year your tractor is?  The C-160's used two different kinds of cables.  74 and 75 use a longer cable that comes in a tube with a clevis on each end.  76 and 77 use a shorter cable with a clevis on one end and the other end has threads on the other.  Also the tube for the shorter cable is bolted to the trans.

Dresden Guy

Dieselcowboy,

Here's a really good post on cable making. Good info and good luck. 

Steve  aka Dresden Guy

Dieselcowboy

Mine is a 1977, which would have a threaded end i guess. If I could find one would be too easy. New they are 100 bucks. Hopefully I can get one made up without too much trouble. You guys all have great ideas.

doc724

Hi Diesel Cowboy

I just took one of these off my 1978 C141.  Its yours if you want it, I don't plan to use it but cannot bear to throw anything away "just in case".  It is 21.5 inches long from the threaded end (1/4-20) to the center of the hole in the clevis (clevis attaches to the rock shaft).  I have the clevis pin somewhere.  Find a way to contact me off post (I am sure there is a way, but dammed if I can find it) and I will drop it into the mail to you.

Don 

rmaynard

I don't plan to use it but cannot bear to throw anything away "just in case". 

Where does that "disease" come from. I've had it for years and can't seem to shake it.  :scratchead:

Dieselcowboy

doc724  PM sent  Upper right corner of page, notifcations

brandonozz

I know most people are using the clevis type connectors on their home made cables but I have had good luck so far with the one I made and its a bit easier and less bulky.  I have used the cable connectors that "crush" around the cable.  The connector has two tubes side by side with about 1/4" holes.  The cable I used had a scuff cover on it so I cut the cover back about three inches and slid the cable thru one side and made a loop and slid back thru the other side and then crimped the connector. This type connector is more compact than the clevis style with the u-bolt and nuts.   I've lifted a tiller and turn plow with no problems. 

bowtieguy

I think this info was posted several years ago, (might want to do a search for it)....but I will post it again.  In 07' "Wild Bill" Pearson sent me this info and parts were available from a kit.

The old slot hitch kit 8-085621(or older pn 8-5521) and the clevis type hitch kit 8-5311 contained these part numbers:

932120-4 a 1/4" pin (need 3)

932000-4 a 1/16" X 1/2" cotter pin (need 3)

8036 cable.(new p/n might be 104928)..price was 20.79

8289 clevis.(new p/n might be 108145)....price was 12.13

8290 thimble

8291 clamp (need 2)

8292 clevis assy.....................................price was 21.49

Parts 1,2,5 and 6 can be bought at TSC or any hardware store

I remember I ordered some parts from Toro just to see what the kit was like....I never used them cause I wanted a better cable so I found a box of automotive emergency brake cables at a swap meet and I liked them better that the Toro kit....the brake cable had a fixed end on one end and a  round ball with a hole in it so you could "swedge" it on the other end of the cable.....I have them on several of my WHs and have never broke one yet.  I think I paid 5 bucks for the whole box of cables....your local auto parts store might have some obsolete kits on their shelf??????.....TT also told me he used the emergency brake cables too....thanks for the tip Terry .

Now I think I'll go out and plow the garden and see if I can brake an ole cable!!!!!.....and with 50 cents and the above info you "might" be able to buy a cup of coffee at your local hang out!!!(remember to tell them you are a "SENIOR" to get your discount coffee!!!) :auto-dirtbike:  :greetings-waveyellow:  :twocents-02cents:

Edited by bowtieguy

posifour11

Good info Frank. I'll be looking into those parts.