Sign in to follow this  
rondo

Ags vs chains

rondo

I coulda swore I saw this topic just recently, but I can't find it anywhere.

Do Ag tires (with weights) work well in the snow? I'll probably look at either replacing the current rears on my B-100 or just add chains and keep the old tires for now. If Ags work well enough in snow, I'll probably grab a pair before this winter. Of course, chains cost a chunk less... B)

Sparky

I own a couple pairs of Ags and I think their lousy in the snow even with weight. I run 2 ply(softer) turf tires with weights and some with weights and chains and their great. The turfs give you more rubber on the ground.

I also have only 4 ply AGs which are a harder tire than a 2 ply.

Mike........

Curmudgeon

Some people will say ags are enough in the snow, from my personal experience, rubber slips on ice and packed snow. From what I've seen, the guys with luck with ags alone are from the more southern areas where snow comes and goes, they don't get frost in the ground. Oh sure, someone will chime in from northern Iceland who claims chains aren't needed.

Basically, steel cuts ice, rubber slips on ice. Steel will also leave a mark on your driveway. To that I say, it's a DRIVEWAY, not a nice hardwood floor in your living room! LOL

Chains on ags don't work. The cross chains will work their way between the lugs, and in effect, you don't have chains anymore. Either that, or you'll keep the chain on top of the lug and have a 1" section biting in.

Chains on turf tires are the superior method.

Nick

Dale you know there is an exception to very rule. :whistle: While turfs are best for tire chain use there are chains with cross ties to hold them up on the bar tread of ag tires. Not sure if anyone makes them for garden tractors. But it would not be hard to throw a set together if someone wanted to run ags year round and not keep a set of turfs for winter.

http://tirechain.com/duo-grip-detail.htm

Im one that just cant get into using chains. I know I know they are best on packed snow and ice. Sold it but the best thing for snow was the 4x4 Steiner. B)

Curmudgeon

Yuppers, Nick. There is ALWAYS an exception, or three. So I now try to put that in my posts for recommendations. B)

Even if the chains do stay over the lugs, my opinion, such as it is, :whistle: , that's concentrating a lot of digging power over a narrow area. Although.......... the chains running lengthwise would alleviate some of that.. hmmmmmmmmmm B)

Nick

Just :whistle: Dale. I know up your way turfs and chains are best. B)

Something else mentioned before is that 2 link chains are better than 4. I have two sets of 4 links that I should take apart this summer to make make one nice 2 link set. Never hurts to be ready. B)

Kelly

I use both, one tractor has turfs and chains with weights, the other has ags with weights.

The chains are nicer all around more bite, much better traction, the ags work in deeper snow, but if you get down to the ice under the snow your done, and I have 75lb weights on each wheel with the ags, but they are very nice in dirt, they will dig till the trans is on the ground in no time, but mine are not true ags they are ATV tires with a very agresive, ag type patern, they are 25x11x12 and alot cheaper than true ags on ebay, I have them on stock WH wheels but they need to be on 8.5 rims, to flatten the tread out more, and yes they clear the fenders just, with about 5lbs of air.

That's my 2 cents

Curmudgeon

:whistle: on THIS board? B) Never would have thunk it! B)

There are as many types of chains as there are tires. 2 link, 4 link, connected link. Plain links, welded up links.

2 link are definitely a smoother ride.

Welded up links can REALLY dig up anything you spin on, even a little, including asphalt and concrete if you have some weight on when you spin them.

My humble (ME? B) ) opinion, 2 link, standard chain is the best trade off between traction, ride, and securing the beautiful look of your driveway surface.

Now, should we use dino chain, or synthetic? B)

Nick

Ive got a new set of 4 link chains with V bars and a home made set made from regular. So after I add the regular chain in between the V bars guess Ill have a combo. B)

They often come up but the AT101 flotation style ag tires might work with chains if there was room to make them fit on the tractor. :whistle:

Dino chain or synthetic.... B)

Curmudgeon

Ive got a new set of 4 link chains with V bars and a home made set made from regular. So after I add the regular chain in between the V bars guess Ill have a combo. B)

They often come up but the AT101 flotation style ag tires might work with chains if there was room to make them fit on the tractor. B)

Dino chain or synthetic.... :whistle:

Good point. The AT101's do have a lot smaller lug, closer together, and might work well with chains. I have a pair of those tires, but at 24x12x12 there isn't room for chains. B)

I do like those tires though! Might be just because they are so big.... B)

rustbucket

use what best suites your situation. chained ag's are fun to use with heavy 70 pound wheel weights.

rondo

Thanks fellas.

Yes Karl, that is exactly the post I was looking for. B)

I have 22.50 X 7.50 X 12.0 on the rear and I have some home made weights. The tires are a bit dried out, but for now I'll just probably get some chains and maybe look at replacement tires later on. I did notice that chains aren't as plentiful in that particular size as in some others so I'll have to keep my eye out for something in the next few months.

Finally stopped rainin - gonna go move somethings around.

WheelHorse_of_course

In my humble experience the single most important factor is width. The narrower the tire the better the traction (but the more damage.

This is because we are talking pressure which = lbs/square inch. My 854 with no chains is surprisingly good. It has those tires that look like "snow tires". Almost as good as the Charger with the turf tires and chains.

ymmv B)

Mike

I have a 73 14 auto and used it to haul wood in, worked good till ground froze, so put 600 sheet metal screws in bars (300 each wheel), would climb a tree and still have tires on, some of the screws came out and you cant even tell where they were, worked for me, got the ideal from watching cycles race on ice.

BairleaFarm

Got any pics mike?

Mike

yeah, but can't get them on here :banghead:

refracman

Ahh studed tires, takes me back a few yrs, bout 30 :USA: when they were legal around here.

They worked great on the ice, but can do some serious damage to concrete and even worse to asphalt.

If you get the tires spinnin fast enough they can be like shootin a pellet gun too. :banghead:

440snopro

Hey I use my raider 12 with 23x 10.50 ag tires filled with wind shield washer fluid and 50lbs wheel weights and it pushes snow great and the tri rib tires help with steering. My drive way is a fairly step hill also and i push in any direction.

Tyler

bitten

My tractor came with ag tires, put some wheel weights on and that is what I used. Last year got some chains and put them on and it worked great.I did'nt have any problems getting around and was able to push all the snow( other then the 17" we had) If the turf tires are all that much better then the ag's then with chain and wieghts I think you would be unstopable.

Dennis

Turf tires, weights and chains have always worked pretty well for me.

66horse

This post cleared alot up for me. I heard ppl saying ags were better and ppl told me turfs are the way to go. My tractor came w/ ag's and original turfs along w/ set of chains. The ags are on it now, im going to switch them out for the turfs w/ chains before the snow flies.