Sign in to follow this  
illinilefttackle

K-301 CIRCUS

illinilefttackle

:imstupid: I begining to wonder if I will ever get this "LITTLE" engine done. I could have done 5 V-8's by now. Today I was finishing up the basics-putting the seals in around the crank-I put the one in the bearing plate fine-but when it came time to do the PTO side-"I KNOCKED IT ALL THE WAY THRU TO THE INSIDE". Boy what a klutz. I guess I don't know my own strength. SO- I took it out-and now I get to go to my favorite place tomorrow-Sun_ because they are the only ones open!-NAPA!

I let you know how it comes out!-AL B)

big mike

As the Brits say Al,keep a stiff upper lip.You'll get it in good time!

If the seal isn't damaged you can retrieve it and reinstall it.I never did understand why Kohler did not put a step in the bore to set the depth for the seal.

illinilefttackle

B) Anybody got a Part# for the PTO side seal for a K-301 ? I didn't like the look of this "chinese" seal when I got it-and I want to go to C&C to get a Kohler seal-but they don't look up things too well with out part# numbers or Spec numbers.

The old seal I took out has a wider surface that meets the block-It has a "Victor" number on it-but I probably need a Kohler number-Thanks-AL :whistle:

TT

Kohler P/N is 47 032 07-S , Al. B)

BPjunk

I put the one in the bearing plate fine-but when it came time to do the PTO side-"I KNOCKED IT ALL THE WAY THRU TO THE INSIDE". Boy what a klutz. I guess I don't know my own strength.

Al,

I have been a profesional mechanic all my life and broken every thing underneth the hood at one time or another.

Any person who says they never broke a part, cut a o-ring, stripped a thread, torn a gasket or damaged a seal ..... has never had a tool in their hand.B)

Wild Bill in Richmond, Va. (I'm waiting to see how your project tunrs out)

illinilefttackle

B) Thanks TT-boy you are good with Part#'s. Hey I just noticed that the end of the cranks are different on the 2 engines-The engine that came with my tractor has a blunt end on the crank with a threaded hole for a bolt and washers.

But the engine I overhauled has the old style threaded snout for a nut and washers. I preliminarily tried the flywheel on there, it seems to fit.

I don't have the marsden nut and washer for old style-Got any part #'s up your sleeve for those?

BPjunk-Thanks for the encouragement-it's just that after a while you think you have developed "The Touch" and don't don't strip bolts,etc. But I guess none of us is infallable. This little Bugger is testing my patience-I guess because I really want it to come out SUPER when i'm done.

I got a look down the bore of the old oil burner today-BOY-talk about clearance! you can see all most the whole width of the top ring between the piston edge and the cylinder wall!-Oil everywhere-top of the piston washed clean.

Pictures when I don't feel embarrassed any more-Thanks -AL :whistle:

TT

The 5/8" heavy washer is showing up as NLA, but your dealer may still have one in stock. P/N is X-25-104

The P/N for the nut is 25-100-02-S

Tapers are the same on all cranks / flywheels so they will interchange without any issues. B)

T-Mo

With TT's knowledge, why do we need manuals? :whistle: Seriously though, Terry, you sure know your stuff. Me, about the only thing I know my way around is in the fridge. B)