Sign in to follow this  
rprevost

Tractor Stalling when PTO Engaged

rprevost

I just had the solenoid replaced on my 518H.  When it came back from the shop, I tried to mow with it; however, when I engaged the PTO, the engine would shut down, very like it would do if you happened to fall of the mower while mowing.  I looked at the switch and when I engage the PTO and manually press down the levers on the switch, the mower will continue to run.  I am trying to figure out what is going on.  Could something have been switched at the solenoid replacement such that the safety switch on the PTO is backward?  Any help will be appreciated.

Rob Prevost

Monroe, NC

stevebo

You may have faulty seat safety switch. Check that out first.

• Like 1

dbartlett1958

I think Steve is right on this one. I had a similar experience on my 416 when mowing. What happened was when I turned, I would lean a bit in the seat and the switch would trip and cause the tractor to stumble, or actually cut out. I thought carb at first, but turned out to be the seat switch.

WH nut

I just had the solenoid replaced on my 518H.  When it came back from the shop, I tried to mow with it; however, when I engaged the PTO, the engine would shut down, very like it would do if you happened to fall of the mower while mowing.  I looked at the switch and when I engage the PTO and manually press down the levers on the switch, the mower will continue to run.  I am trying to figure out what is going on.  Could something have been switched at the solenoid replacement such that the safety switch on the PTO is backward?  Any help will be appreciated.

Rob Prevost

Monroe, NC

Make sure the PTO lever fully engages the PTO switch, I have seen some levers slide back and forth and miss the switch

Wh416H

I had the same problem last week it was a bad connection on the seat switch

rmaynard

Here's the wiring diagram for the 518-H. This may help you in your search for the offending gremlin.

post-2221-0-18009100-1365677675_thumb.pn

The PTO switch appears to have two leads coming off of it. One orange and one brown. Looks to me like the orange wire is disconnected at one end or the other.

Edited by rmaynard

rprevost

Thanks for all the help.  I am going to check the seat switch this weekend and will let y'all know what happened.  RP

rprevost

I started to look at my tractor this weekend.  Given the responses to this post, I thought that I would replace the seat switch first.  Then I realized that, as a new owner of a Wheelhorse, I don't know where to get parts.  I can get an original part replacement from Toro or a vendor on Ebay.  Here is my question:  is this a common part that I could get down at Lowes' or any mower repair store, or does it need to be an original part from Toro/Wheel Horse?

Rob Prevost

WH nut

Here's the wiring diagram for the 518-H. This may help you in your search for the offending gremlin.

attachicon.gif518-H Run.png

The PTO switch appears to have two leads coming off of it. One orange and one brown. Looks to me like the orange wire is disconnected at one end or the other.

Most Diagrams show the circuit in the rest position but looking at this one it looks like with the PTO engaged which sends the jusice through the seat switch disengaged it goes around it

WH nut

I started to look at my tractor this weekend.  Given the responses to this post, I thought that I would replace the seat switch first.  Then I realized that, as a new owner of a Wheelhorse, I don't know where to get parts.  I can get an original part replacement from Toro or a vendor on Ebay.  Here is my question:  is this a common part that I could get down at Lowes' or any mower repair store, or does it need to be an original part from Toro/Wheel Horse?

Rob Prevost

Quick test, jumper Brown to orange at the seat switch and see if it still acts up. Or better yet, jump the 2 wires at the seat switch. It should run whether the PTO is engaged or not

ron.cieri.313

Question...I just re-installed my mower deck onto my C-100 after renovating (clean, new bearings in the spindle, new blades, etc.)...my tractor runs strong but I've never engaged the PTO with the mower deck on since buying the maching in Jan. and have been refurbishing...the seat switch is disconnected...the wires have been cut and capped.

I have the same problem as listed in the post...I figured i just hadn't let her warm up enough and the power transfer was causing her to shutdown...but I can turn the the belt by hand pretty easily...can the mower deck run with seat safety switch not connected to the pto switch?...guess I'll go back and study the darn wiring diagram again...but any help is appreciated...thanks, ron.

WH nut

Question...I just re-installed my mower deck onto my C-100 after renovating (clean, new bearings in the spindle, new blades, etc.)...my tractor runs strong but I've never engaged the PTO with the mower deck on since buying the maching in Jan. and have been refurbishing...the seat switch is disconnected...the wires have been cut and capped.

I have the same problem as listed in the post...I figured i just hadn't let her warm up enough and the power transfer was causing her to shutdown...but I can turn the the belt by hand pretty easily...can the mower deck run with seat safety switch not connected to the pto switch?...guess I'll go back and study the darn wiring diagram again...but any help is appreciated...thanks, ron.

Twist the 2 wires together at the seat switch and that will bypass the switch