Sign in to follow this  
pacer

Kohler K241 10hp crankshaft

pacer

In doing a piston,rings, rod rebuild on my 1054's engine I have found a major problem.... On removing the head and pan and bumping the piston out I see the piston is a .020 over and the cylinder and piston are in good condition, next I make a quick check of the crank and take a quick mearurement and get 1.478 - assuming its also .020 under, and it too looks OK. I order up one of the rebuild kits off ebay for .020 piston and .020 rod, so yesterday I proceded to do the further tear down, get the crank out on the bench and do a real measurement and yeah, it is 1.477 in ONE place and then it varies up to 1.486! Yeow! slightly egg shaped and it dont look so good either with it out in good light -- and Ive got the kit on the way.... It was probably turned to .010 and wore down to the .020 reading in that one spot.

So I need another crankshaft. Ideally I could find one that is already turned .020 (except not egg shaped) and be able to use the rod in the kit, or find one that had a matching rod.... There are several cranks on ebay but are generally model specific stating only for a K241, and dont offer a rod either. Anybody here have something I can use and get out of this bind I created for myself?

WH nut

Take the crank to a machine shop. They can weld it up then turn it down .020 for you

pacer

Heh!, I thought of that - so I called up, said minimum for conventional turn would be $100 and if needed build up couldnt give quote but would be more... figure I'll run out several other avenues first. This wasnt much of a surprise to me, I do some machine work and I well know about machine set-up for something like this one off job. Probably wasnt much profit after labor cost.

WH nut

100 bucks, **** i used to get V8s ground for that kind of money

pacer

Yeah, know what you mean. Actually I got the impression he just didnt really wanna mess with it just because it would be a one off and would take the extra labor to get a set-up. And, around here there are so few machine shops that do that kind of work....

WH nut

Yeah, know what you mean. Actually I got the impression he just didnt really wanna mess with it just because it would be a one off and would take the extra labor to get a set-up. And, around here there are so few machine shops that do that kind of work....

That really sucks, I would have thought that would be the way to go

Don1977

Every Kohler crank shaft that was welded and turned broke is what I have heard. I would not try having one up welded.

KATO

What about hard chrome . Ive' had cams and cranks built up with hard chrome plating

(non welding chemical process ) and reground with good luck.

Price about the same.....100-150 bucks up here. :eusa-think:

oldredrider

First, you should locate a machine shop that does small engine work.

Second, consider a clevite bearing for your rod and have the machine shop

grind the crank pin for the bearing insert.

Third, let us know what you do!

Crank turns in my area (for small engines) run about $50.00

• Like 1

pacer

OK, hopefully my crankshaft dilemna is solved - After prowling ebay and contacting several sellers to make sure I was getting the right one, Joes Outdoor Power had one off a Ford tractor that was the same for $85 and free ship. The Ford was shown as standard with measurement of 1.499. Found a standard rod for $25+&7 ship at 'The Man's One Stop Shop'.

Shud get them sometime mid next week, So for some $115 I can get out of this bind.... I'm happy.

pacer

Update on the crankshaft --

The crankshaft off a Ford K241 from Joes Outdoor Power arrived yesterday and it is a beautiful thing, measured out at a very nice 1.499 (standard) no dings, key way nice and sharp, its just a nice piece. Rod also came and This morning I got it into short block stage doing some minor valve work also. I am pleased (and relieved) with the outcome of this - bout $110!!

Thanks for all the input...