flhharley

Bought back my fathers tractor 30 years after he sold it. What year/model

groundhog47

:thumbs: That has to be a good buy, started out where it ended up. Prob doesn't happen often, unless a relative bought it. Both must have taken good care of it,as know you will also! :WRS:

slovinski

Super nice tractor,  I'm sure you will enjoy memories every time you ride it.  I have my dads 855 and wouldn't consider selling it for anything less than $1,000,000,  and I would still miss it.

• Like 1

VinsRJ

Super nice tractor,  I'm sure you will enjoy memories every time you ride it.  I have my dads 855 and wouldn't consider selling it for anything less than $1,000,000,  and I would still miss it.

I don't know... for a $1,000,000... I would sleep fine at night, LOL!

• Like 1

Anglo Traction

Great story about your Dad's Tractor and that it has come full circle back to you. I also have to say that the Paint Scheme look's professionally done,  really cool and suits it.

Having said that, a Wheel Horse should really be wearing the clothes it was born with. I'm sure whatever you do, it will be treasured     

• Like 1

leeave96

How did you find this tractor after all these years?

1965 855

Congrats, great story, I would also check with your mom about photographs she may have. I would be great to find a picture of your dad using it.

flhharley

I agree the color combo looks good but want to bring it back to the way I remember cutting the lawn and plowing the driveway years ago. I do have plenty of pictures from when I was about 3-4 years old being towed behind it with my father driving while i was in a sled after a snow storm, chains on plow up cruising around the yard. I'm pretty excited to have it back, He sold it to a friend of mine who was a few years a head of me in high school and over the last 30 years of him owning it I see him about once every six months and in the last 20 years have told him when he's ready to sell it I better be the one he calls. His comment was always "Your the only one I would sell it to" so sure enough a few weeks ago I got a call from him and he was ready to let it go. Mom still has the original cart he purchased with it and said to come get it out of my garage. Thats all original with great paint and a dump with the pull out tailgate.....This weekend will be the start of the project and will be disassembling her cleaning and getting ready for paint.Thanks for all the comments on where to find the paint to match as close to original color. I like the steering wheel but will try and find the original one. the mower deck is already in primer and ready for paint. I will post more pictures and also take one of the sled tow with dad driving to post.....

Tankman

that sure is a tough looking ride.  I love it!  Jay

That Horse looks military, ready for serious war! Nice!

big mike

That's a very cool story!

The current owner of my Dads round hood is still attached to it so I am trying to create one as close as possible.

Enjoy the resto,I'm sure your Dad would be proud!

papaglide

Very neat story and I am very happy that you got the tractor back! Best of luck with the resto and please make sure to post pics!

coolhandblack

you know you have to post some of them old photos right?! We love photos!

Terry M

What ever model it is, It looks to be in Excellent condition!! And It would make a nice restore, plus also the fact that it was your Dads....how cool is that!!

• Like 1

Pullstart

it sure is fun finding cool older posts like this, I wonder how the restoration is coming along.  I see flhharley hasn't been on Red Square since his last post in April 2013...

• Like 1

flhharley

Life has got in the way as I'm sure most of you all know happens. Haven't done a thing to the 704 yet but keep fresh gas in it and start and drive it around the yard then back in garage and throw the sheet back over it. My 16 year old has shown interest in helping me restoring back to original condition. So coming all apart soon. I posted in the restoration section looking to see if there are catalogs out there like LMC for older trucks for parts.  I will update with pics as I go. 

Sprocket

Great thing to do with your son - I hope your Dad approves. Regardless, driving/using it without a resto is great - All the scratches, dings and dents are part of the machines history but that said, a complete refresh will help the machine last for years to come.  "This was your great granddad's machine.  Me and you granddad cleaned it up."

kthack657

we have my Husbands tractor he mowed with as a kid, it was beat when we got it, but has been restored (and modified) and looks great...started its life out as a a 68 lawn ranger :D

Ken B

Life has got in the way as I'm sure most of you all know happens. Haven't done a thing to the 704 yet but keep fresh gas in it and start and drive it around the yard then back in garage and throw the sheet back over it. My 16 year old has shown interest in helping me restoring back to original condition. So coming all apart soon. I posted in the restoration section looking to see if there are catalogs out there like LMC for older trucks for parts.  I will update with pics as I go. 

Sounds like a real fun project. There are no LMC catalogs for these but that would sure make life easier!. Ask questions here about parts you need and where to get them. Post wanted adds in the classifieds. Most anything you need should be pretty easy too find and not to hard on the pocket book.. And don't forget to post progress pics..

Brian01

I'm with sparky as well...color scheme n all....looks cool, I would get a spounge and soapy water, wash it and leave it. Looks "beefy".

Sounds like a real fun project. There are no LMC catalogs for these but that would sure make life easier!. Ask questions here about parts you need and where to get them. Post wanted adds in the classifieds. Most anything you need should be pretty easy too find and not to hard on the pocket book.. And don't forget to post progress pics..

the LMC catalog is a good idea, someone oughta make a WH catalog, with parts, new and used..I know they don't make much parts for them now a days. Good business idea though, start reproduction..lol

bmsgaffer

I'd say if it was red in your memory make it red again. :)

I have my dad's C-105 that he had since 1988 or so. I mowed and plowed snow with that tractor for 15+ years. It was never much to him but now I'm sentimentally attached. Need to rebuild the Kohler and give it a heavy duty cleaning.