flhharley

Bought back my fathers tractor 30 years after he sold it. What year/model

flhharley

Trying to find out what year and model this is. My dad bout this in the 60' s sold it in 1983 and I just bought it back. Plan on restoring back close to original. But need to get more info. Are there numbers somewhere to tell me the year? I'm 99% sure it had a kouler 8 hp and I'm thinking from looking at pics a 1964/654 ??? Any help would be great.post-9975-0-68891400-1365460425_thumb.jp

• Like 7

jay in nc

that sure is a tough looking ride.  I love it!  Jay

rmaynard

A few more close-up pictures would help.

Horse'n Around

I love the fact that it was your Dads and you were able to get it back after all these years ! Restoring it will be a labor of love that's for sure,talk about a worthy and super fun endeavor ! Thanks for posting the pic, please keep us all posted on the whole thing!

John

• Like 1

flhharley

I will post some more pics but after searching around and knowing it was a kouler they made a 7 hp recoil and it has the same dash as the 1964 704. Where is the best place to get parts, paint, decals etc during my project???

Duff

Once we nail down the model, members here will be able to  help you find parts. There are a number of options as far as paint is concerned. The best source of decals by far is our own member Vinylguy52. That sure is a nice machine you've recovered! 

Duff  :thumbs:  :thumbs:

Edited by Duff
  • Like 1

Horse'n Around

For your decals go to  www.redoyourhorse.com.  He's Vinylguy52 here on Red Square and he does incredible work ! Check it out.

John

WH nut

Looks like a 704 to me

Jake Kuhn

that would be a 63 or a 64 model. It does not have the original motor on it, but that is pretty close. It would of only had a recoil starter on it most likely so the one on it now has probably been added at some point. maybe a 604, 654 or a 704? 63 models I'm not sure of the models? Hope this is somewhat helpful, sorry I can't give you a answer for sure.

Jake

octfst

I know what its like to have your dads tractor. I have both my dads horses. his 1970 Raider 12 he give me in 2005 & I restored in 2006. & his 1963 753 that I grew up on. he sold when he bought the raider about 25 years ago. the hood that is on your tractor was used on the 604 654 & 704 for the year of 1964. The 604 & 654 used 6hp teckys the 704 used a 7hp kohler. the 8hp kohler was used on the 854 but would have a different hood. check the tag on the flywheel shroud a k161 would be a 7hp kohler & a k181 would be a 8hp kohler. if its a k161 & this is the original engine it would be a 704

• Like 1

JimD

If it had an 8 hp Kohler with electric start and was built in 1964, that would make it an 854. The original engine would have had a starter/generator and a belt to start it. It looks like you have a newer engine with a starter motor, not the generator. I'm sure more information will be forthcoming from the experts. :)

WH nut

I know what its like to have your dads tractor. I have both my dads horses. his 1970 Raider 12 he give me in 2005 & I restored in 2006. & his 1963 753 that I grew up on. he sold when he bought the raider about 25 years ago. the hood that is on your tractor was used on the 604 654 & 704 for the year of 1964. The 604 & 654 used 6hp teckys the 704 used a 7hp kohler. the 8hp kohler was used on the 854 but would have a different hood. check the tag on the flywheel shroud a k161 would be a 7hp kohler & a k181 would be a 8hp kohler. if its a k161 & this is the original engine it would be a 704

It cant be the original 7hp, they were recoil start

Sparky

I'm probably all alone here, but I really like that paint scheme   :hide:   and the small racing steering wheel. I would be tempted to leave it as is and just bask in the fact that I own my dad's tractor regardless of the paint and motor.

Mike..............

• Like 8

puddlejumper

Kinda looks like a 64 lawn ranger on big tires. But I cannot tell if the choke and throttle controls are push pull or levers.

Lane Ranger

The best of luck to you as you restore this great memory!   Great story to have your Dad's original tractor back in  your ownership!!

• Like 1

64s

I'm with Sparky - I love it the way it is!

flhharley

Thanks for all the responses. I am ver excited to get started on it. The motor has been changed to a kouler electric start but was a pull originally. My father has been passed now for 18 years but have to make a visit to mom I think she may have the original paperwork that came with it as he threw nothing out. Ha ha. That and she still has the cart that went with it and told me she wants it out of her garage. :-) I will get some more pics posted so I know for all the knowledge her I'm getting the right parts. Thanks again

• Like 1

Torino

Since it was your dads I would want to restore it back to original but I do like the paint scheme.  Would like to see more pics outside.

leeave96

Since it was your dads I would want to restore it back to original but I do like the paint scheme. Would like to see more pics outside.

+1

Also consider going to the Wheelhorse show in PA this year. That will get your interest in your Dad's old tractor up too.

• Like 1

VinsRJ

Very nice tractor no matter what your plan is for it.....

JimmyJam

I agree.. If it's your dad's tractor and that is they way he had it or you remember it then leave it as is; but if the last owner made the modifications then restore it back. BUT I love the color scheme too!!!!

Fun Engineer

Great looking tractor. Wecome to Red Square.

I have my parents  Commando 8 and wouldn't sell or trade it for anything. Like you, I had tracked it down after my mother sold it in 1984 and I purchased it from its 3rd owner, used it until last year and gave it a complete restoration.

Good luck with your plans.

Dave

• Like 1

rdmanone

Beautiful tractor.  Looks like you got luck and at least it was well taken care of.  

welderman85

i like it

coolhandblack

man that is cool as hell that it was your dads tractor... I agree with some of the others, restore it or keep it as is..what ever reminds you most of your old man

• Like 1