Sign in to follow this  
Kevbo

Castrol to Mobil 1 Synthetic?

Kevbo

So I have always put Castrol oil in my car but now that I have began using Mobil 1 synthetic products in my tractor I was thinking of doing the same in my car. Can I switch to synthetic engine oil just as simply as putting it in after draining the Castrol? Would you recommend Mobil 1 synthetic? If so, they have four grades: regular synthetic, high mileage, advanced fuel economy, and extended performance. Is there really a difference here? My car has over 80,000 miles. Recommendations anyone?

Edited by Kevbo

rydogg

I have no recommendations I just changed oil in my truck and I used Mobil 1 Extended Performance Synthetic along with a matching oil filter....this will be my first time trying Mobil 1 since usually it is too expensive for me at almost $10 a quart x 6 quarts but they have a deal at Auto Zone for 5 quarts plus a filter for under $40 so I purchased 3 oil change kits.  The truck I just got has 190,000 miles so I figure I should use a good quality oil to prolong the life of the motor as long as possible.  I didn't do anything special I just drained the old non-synthetic oil out and put in the synthetic.

KATO

Not sure about Mobil One but I've been using AMSOIL for 20 yrs now

and one of their main benefits is up to 25,000 ...yes Thousand miles or 1 year

between changes. I change mine once a year and have been all along .

The first vehicle I used it in was an 89 dodge 4wd pu which saw heavy abuse

until I retired it at 390,000 for rust reasons. My present two vehicles have 285,000

and 205,000 and all is well .SO the price up front seems high but really isn't.

WELL worth the money.

decksetter

I had a dodge Dakota with a 4.7 that I ran synthetic in. I bought the truck with 93k and have no idea what oil was used in it before, but it didn't use or leak a drop. Traded that truck and got a brand new Chevy Cobalt, have run Mobil 1 since new in it. 102k miles since 08, doesn't use any oil yet. I'm a believer. I won't dare run it in my truck though, out has a treat main seal leak and 268k miles on the 4.8 v8. I have heard if you leak oil already, synthetic will make it worse.