Sign in to follow this  
Fronk

First Wheel Horse

Fronk

Just picked up a free Wheel Horse C 145. No owners manual so I'm in for some treats. Does anyone know when these tractors were made or where I could locate info on it? It has a 14HP Kohler, Hrydro drive and lift. Would post a pic if my wife didn't have the camera. thanks

I figure it is early 80's from other pics on the site.

nylyon

First, welcome to RedSquare Great price on that C-145 you got there. First thing you need to do is find the model number. Personally I have no clue where it is on that machine, so check the sides of the dash tower and under the seat. Once you get the model number of the tractor, look in the links section under Toro. You may be able to download (free) the manual for the tractor.

B)

Fronk

Awesome! I normally work on the orange (Simp and Allis), but I've always wanted a Wheel horse. We had a heck of a time getting it on the truck. I could not turn the 5\16" valve for it to roll, so we had to lift and push....of course up hill. I even broke my wrench trying to open it...I guess PB Buster will need to be applied. Once I get it in the shop, clean it up a bit, we'll see what I really have as far as working condition. Fun stuff, that's all I got to say! I'll post a pic when my wife gets home from PA!

traktorkidd7/30/93

right underneath the dash you should find the ID tag

and thats a great price that you paid , I wish I can get some deals like that

Sparky

I dont think these tractors had a push/tow valve. I was told to disengage the drive belt with the engagement handle below the dash and put the motion lever in the forward position to push it.

Model#01-14KS01 or E01 =1980

Model#01-14KE02 =1981

Model#01-14KE03 =1982

Model#01-14KE04 =1983

Model#11-14KE01 =1984

Mike............

Fronk

It acutally did have a push/tow valve located right on the transmission (left side). Only way I knew it was there was the decal on the fender pan down by the foot rest. Hopefully I can get it open to get it off my truck!!!!!!!

As for the price...I can no longer say "I wish I could find tractors like that?" Normally I'm a day late and a dollar short!

Sparky

Hmmm. I wonder if you have a C-141 and not a C-145. The 141 would have the Sundstrand tranny with a tow valve. The 145 would have the Eaton 1100 with no tow valve.

Can you post a pic of the tractor?

Mike...........

Fronk

the ID is 01-14KS01-6444. Sparky, when my wife gets home from PA, I'll take a pic. She took the camera to her horse show (real horses).

I was so excited...I got it off the truck, checked the gas, the oil, etc and it all lookied decent. I thought this tractor had been sitting a long time. I hooked up the jumper cables and botta-bing...It fired right up!!!!!!!!! Definitely needs some TLC, but come on! A free tractor that actually runs and drives....I love it.

nylyon

Here's what you have:

Attached Image (Click thumbnail to expand)

post-3-1218313541.jpg

Fronk

Thanks Karl. I'm going to have a lot of fun with this one.

T-Mo

On the earlier black hoods C's, the 1980 models, they had the Sundstrand unit, not the Eation. I think it was either in the later 1980 model or, for sure, the 1981 that Wheel Horse started putting in the Eaton transmissions.

Sparky

On the earlier black hoods C's, the 1980 models, they had the Sundstrand unit, not the Eation. I think it was either in the later 1980 model or, for sure, the 1981 that Wheel Horse started putting in the Eaton transmissions.

Well I learned something today. I woulda bet the rent all Black-Hoods had Eaton trannys.

Thanks for the education guys.

Mike........

bambooheels

B) sounds like you got a gret deal... FREE gotta love it. post some pics when your wife gets back, cant wait to see it. good luck on it

traktorkidd7/30/93

my C175 doesnt have the tow valve

and when you shut it off it rolls nice and smooth but it has a rattle B)

is that suppose to do that i was told it was :whistle:

prpldude

B) Can't wait to see pics. Another Free Horse ;0)... That's how I got mine too.. Running also... Again :whistle:

Fronk

Sorry, I didn't get a chance today to take pics. However, I did take it for a spin. Running a bit rough, but the hydro is great. The engine definitely needs a cleaning. I figure I will pull the carb off and give it a once over, fuel filter, etc....probably even change the oil. What weight should I use for the oil change....SAE 30???? I don't have an owners manual so I need a bit of assistance from you guys. Seriously, I'll get pics on soon!

Sparky

Yep, you want to use SAE-30.

Mike.........

Fronk

Finally took pics of the new Horse :horseplay:

C1452.jpg

C1451.jpg

C145.jpg

Needs an appointment with Mr. Powerwasher and Dr. Sandblaster. Hopefully I can get to that before winter hits, that way I can prime it for next spring. We'll see what happens.

T-Mo

Not a bad looking tractor. How's the fender deck? Put a seat on it and you're be set. B)

Fronk

The fender deck is ok. It has some major cracks inside from the pressure of the seat, but I think I can remedy that. The visible aspects look good though. I do have a seat. However, there is a lot of foam and very little cover left. I jumped on the other day and drove it without the seat B) I couldn't resist.

WheelHorse_of_course

I jumped on the other day and drove it without the seat B) I couldn't resist.

:banghead: Welcome Fronk

Driving with no seat, that's the ticket B)

Got to make sure the neighbors know that you are serious... B)B):whistle: !

Fronk

Okay, I could have left that tid-bit out B) about no seat...however, I dd have the seat pan on...it was just a low rider, that's all.

Sparky

Good lookin Horse B) ! If you give up on the plastic fender you can allways use a steel fender pan. The ones from the 300-400-500 series work best and they all(except the 308-8) have the hole for the fuel tank.

Mike............

Fronk

I'll keep my eyes open for a steel fender pan. The plastic just doesn't do it for me!! Thanks for the very useful info!