Sign in to follow this  
Rollerman

Diesel Repower

Rollerman

I thought about posting this under Jays "Honda" thread....but that adds to confusion.

So has anybody ever looked into converting over to a diesel useing one of the import single's?

I think it be neat in a 65 on short frame!

Just curious to see who has or would like to?

Stephen in northern IN

kpinnc

I've seen a couple Stephen. Looks pretty neat to me.

I'd definately do it, because you'd have more torque, better fuel economy, and don't forget that cool "chugga" sound from a diesel...

I'd drive around at idle all the time now if I didn't think I was starving the Kohler for oil... CHUGGA CHUGGA CHUGGA :D

Kevin

CasualObserver

I think a diesel re-power would be sweet, but I don't know squat about working on diesels. Does a small diesel still have a glow-plug instead of a spark-plug? I'd think it would be hard to start if it was cold....but... as far as motor cost... i dont' think it's a whole lot of difference, and yes, it would be much more economical on fuel.

Mith

Does a small diesel still have a glow-plug instead of a spark-plug?

The Yanmars and the clones dont have any staring aids, just gotta have a strong arm.

I had never worked on one before, but then got told to rebuild one, thrown in at the deep end.

They are much simpler than a normal petrol engine. As long as you know the basics they arent hard to get a grasp of. No electrics atall.

nylyon

Diesel's work off of high compression and direct fuel injection. The glow plug (if equipped) is used to heat the incoming air making cold weather starting a little easier (that is when they work).

Basically a compression ratio of about 22:1 will super heat the air when compressed. At that moment, an atomized spray of fuel is injected directly (usually by a mechanical injector run off the cam shaft) into the cylinder which causes the burn.

Speed is varied by fuel injector regulation, not air, so there is no butterfly valve like on a carb.

As long as there is fuel pressure and air, the engine will run, no spark plug (at all) or glow plug required after the engine is running.

This is true for the truck engines, I presume that the little ones are the same.

Nick

If I had the cash for one I would like to try a small diesel. Was looking at them a week or so back on ebay. Dont think I could make it fit but sure would be nice in the Loader Ranger. The diesel sound doesnt hurt either. :DEbay link 10hp Strange how he wants nearly the same for local pickup as shipping the engine. He also sells the old hit miss looking diesel. water cooled diesel link There was a dealer in Columbus Ohio selling import diesel engines but could not find any listed from him right now. I know diesel engines have good power but Ive seen it said they have double the power of a similar horsepower rated kohler single cyl. engine. I'll have to use one before I can believe that.

Rollerman

I've heard the 10P rated one is a good runner in a C series & can pull a 48" deck well in tall grass?

Not sure what other sizes are available?

Nick I know Dennis got one from the guy in Columbus?...wasn't it a 5HP?

One of the threads here showed some narrow front tractors...the one has a small diesel in it & is a nice fit.

Just think it be a neat thing to toy with....I have 2 C series 8 speeds out back :D

Stephen in northern IN...thinking out loud again

Sparky

I'm sure some of you guys read the posts on MTF. Check out the one about the guy who put a clone diesel on his GT-14. He's had some terrible luck and not much support from the dealer/seller. I think the post is called "GT-14 Rising from the ashes" or something close to that. Its in the Wheel Horse/Toro section.

Mike.........

T-Mo

Mike,

I seen that thread on MTF. On the other hand, there was a similar Chinese diesel repower on MTF on a JD rf 112 that went very well. I don't think there was any problems with that one. It was a few months ago on the John Deere forum on MTF.

After reading the thread that Mike mentioned, I would be kind of wary now though.

Here's the thread Mike was referring to:

GT-14 Rising From the Ashes

T-Mo

For those interested, here's the link to the JD 112 diesel repower:

JD rf112 diesel repower

poodle

Well I have to admit I think it would be cool :whistle: but what about the pto's as long as the shaft is the same size they should work right? but if not how could you get it to work? :thumbs: you need it to run your equipment deck,snow blower what ever your toy is it still needs to work right?

oldandred

001-5.jpg

002-4.jpg

You mean like this it doesnt have any attments I some times use it as a puller

Jim_M

Stephen,

You've seen and heard my 654 run. It has one of the import Yanmar clones on it. I've had very good luck with it, always starts, has plenty of power and uses a fraction of the fuel that a gas engine would use.

Jim

williambogner

At my tech school in Manchester CT. In the diesel shop(department), him and his junior students made a C 141 or C 160 into a diesel. I havent really got a good glimpse at it but it looked pretty cool as a finished production. Ill try to get some pictures but I have to say,Its one cool toy.