Sign in to follow this  
dazcc

tyre size

dazcc

Hi all just wounded if you could help need to put 2 new back tyres on my 227-5 the size that is on it is 20 x 10.0-10 tyres . A friend of mine has a set of 20 x 11.0 -10 I was wondering if these would fit a he is offering them for free . Thanks for any help daz

gwest_ca

These tires should be 1" wider if on the same width of wheel so an extra 1/2" on each side.

I recall some of the 200-Series tractors requiring a spacer between the axle hub and wheel if tire chains were added so you may be tight for space.

Garry

gwest_ca

Not the one I was think about but another possibility. I don't know what kind of wheel hub you have.

Garry

wheeledhorseman

A cautionary tale here before you get too involved.

My 227-5 picked up a puncture last season that tyre 'plop' wouldn't stop, just reduced it to a slow puncture flattening over a few days.

The tyres were original I think and still in very good shape so aiming to add an inner tube I had a go at getting the tyre off the rim and had to give up. Local garden machinery place tried using their tyre machine and also gave up. The tyre had rusted to the rim and become bonded to it so badly that the only option was to destroy it to get it off. Long story short its an unusual size apparently and I had to pay for an expensive ply rated tyre to replace it as they couldn't source a cheap one. That's not to say that they don't exist but they couldn't source one and I needed the tractor back mowing again.

I'm not saying yours won't come off but if they look as though they've been there since new it could be an issue that could lead to needing to replace them if the freebies won't fit. I'd take them anyway as they're free and not try the change until you have to. BTW the 200 series have all sorts of different wheel / tyre sizes on the rear according to model. Also, I have the owners manual for the 227-5 tractor if you're interested oh, and a spare powered grass / leaf  sweeper collector which runs off the rear PTO.

Andy

dazcc

Thanks for all the information its really helpful . And andy I am interested in the user manual and how much would you want for the sweeper and manual much appreciated Darren

wheeledhorseman

227-5 Operators Manual uploaded and now available from the manuals section.

pm sent re the grass / leaf collector.

Re tyres I checked today and my 227-5 has 20 x 10 x 10 tyres as does my 216-5 so I guess the larger hp machines were fitted with these at the rear. Lesser 200 series tractors had smaller rear wheels / tyres.

Tyre size is as follows (I think) The first number is the height of the tire, the second number is the width of the tire and the third number is the diameter of the rim. So that's a 20" height, 10" tire width and 10" rim diameter. The 20 x 11 x 10s would fit the rims, ride at the same height but be 1/2 " wider either side of centre. Not a lot, but the arms of the grass collector fit between the tyre and the body of the tractor which may or may not be possible with the slightly wider tyres.

Andy

dazcc

I have managed to find a pair of the Wright size tyres now off the internet so think I will go wit them