Sign in to follow this  
Stigian

Trans mods

Stigian

I have an idea for another custom WH ( B) not again) i hear you say :whistle:

Im not going to tell you all what it is yet, but it might well be built before Project 4x4 B)

The problem is i need to have the rear wheels about 6 inches further out then they are now for it all to work.

The question is how do i do the widening of the trans axles without putting too much stress on the trans B)

I should mention that i also need need space behind the wheels to mount a pulley and brake disc.......

Hope i havnt given too much away already B)

Any ideas guys?

Nick

6" of width using a spacer doesnt sound to bad. Dual tires would put about the same stress on the trans and axles.

Now as to why the width is needed has me thinkin. B) My first thought was something like the picture. :whistle:

constantine2.jpg

Nick

Just came to me you had an axle that was discussed as a 4x4 front axle option for your Horse. Maybe that evil plan has been resurrected. B)

Stigian

:banghead: for posting that pic Nick :banghead: , your kinda thinking right but in the wrong direction B):whistle::):banghead:

That's a cool WH by the way, are there any pic's on Redsquare that show how the inside of those rear wheels with the chains and sprockets in place?

I have had a quick look at the 'orse in question and the answer may be to move things back a bit, and if im going back i might as well go down a bit as a bit more ground clearance wouldn't hurt :omg::o

Not giving away much am i B)B)B)

The 4x4 project will be happening at some point, but its going to have to wait until this new idea is built.

"Why you ask"?

Well to be honest after a quick mock-up the look and idea of the new idea gave me the horn B)

In other words, it looks so good it just has to be built :banghead:

Nick

Me have pictures, Oh yea. B)

The pictures also show spacers he had to use. B)

constantine010.jpg

constantine012.jpg

Went thru a couple Priest songs while looking for these. Found them in my 2005 WH show album.

This shows a way to get some ground clearance. :whistle:

P1010006.jpg

P1010007.jpg

Stigian

Wow, fast service here :banghead: Thanks for taking the time to route them pic's out Nick B)

Those pic's have given me food for thought :whistle:

Now, if i slide the wheel hubs in as much as poss and make some spacers wide enough to bolt a pulley or sprocket on to, would the axles be able to handle that?

Those B) 's that raise the ride height are pure engineering art work B) B)

Curmudgeon

That kind of depends on just how much "use and abuse" you plan on giving it now doesn't it?

Electro12WH

What are those 'thingys' on the rear axle?

Nick

Where is TT, for the life of me I cant remember what you call them thingys. They are a drop spur bull gear or whatever used to increase ground clearance and I assume also to gain mechanical advantage through the gears. B) They are used on both farm tractors and also some garden tractors like the power king.

TT

The correct term is final drives. B)

In the case of this WH, I'd say that there's just a pair of sprockets with a roller chain connecting them, unless there's an idler gear between the other two. (otherwise the tractor would have 1 forward gear and 3 in reverse)

Guessing it was only done for increased height on this particular machine. :whistle:

BairleaFarm

Whos 4x4 is that?

Nick

TT, I was going to just say final drives but thought it was more than that, guess I was thinkin to hard. B)

The tractor with the chain drive 4x4 was at the Constantine Michigan show a few years ago. I didnt get his name maybe someone else know who it was.

Curmudgeon

Whos 4x4 is that?

Would that not actually be a 6x4? B)

Stigian

P1010007.jpg

I saw a little tractor B) in a farmer barn the other day with a pair of those "raise your ride height" gadgets the other day.....

Having a :imstupid: moment i forgot to take any pictures B) but i thought id tell you guys about it anyway..

No idea what make it was as it had been hand painted in dark green and the words (i think) "Little Junker" written on the side in red..

What i did remember to notice was it had a k321 kohler lump under the hood, and a small gear stick just under and to the right of the seat.

Oh, and the rear track was very wide but with quite small wheels..

Any idea what it is guys B)

There have been a few on ebay, but not at the moment :banghead: and i cant find any pics on the interweb thingy...

And the other reason for dragging this post up........

Just about to do a new post about my new project.. and work has started on this one :whistle: B)