Sign in to follow this  
Free Range

PTO

Free Range

Not sure which section this belongs in, but thought it would fit here. I just bought a C-160 in pretty good shape, runs everything works as far as I can tell, but. I mowed the yard with it yesterday and the PTO seems weak, it will slip when I run into some heavy spots of grass. My question is, is there a way to adjust the PTO so it doesn't slip so easy? 

rmaynard

:WRS:   

Assuming that you have a manual PTO, as long as the friction material on the PTO plate is in decent shape, you should be able to adjust the pressure against it by moving the trunnion. The procedure is covered in the owners manual. If you need a manual, you should be able to find one in the manuals section.

Edited by rmaynard

GlenPettit

How long has the belt been on it?

They stretch, glaze over, crack and slip over time.

Should be less than 1/2" deflection for tightness.

KC9KAS

:WRS: , and :wwp:

Free Range

Don't know how long the belt has been on, looks in good shape, I know you can't always tell by looking. It is a manual pto, I don't think the belt is the problem because when it "slips" the PTO slows down or quits spinning until I stop and back up or just let it "catch up" 

wheeledhorseman

Welcome to Red Square 'Free Range'

In cases like this where you don't know the maintenance history of the tractor I would suggest that it's a good move to remove the PTO pulley unit so that you can inspect the condition of the lining behind it. It's on my list of things to check whenever I pick up a new addition to the stable and I do it whether there's an apparent problem or not.

It's possible that the friction plate has worn down to the rivets in which case damage will start to occur. There could be grease on the suface or it may have become glazed. Even if it turns out to be good you'l know how much wear is left in it.

The PTO does need adjusting as the friction lining wears but if there's an underlying problem it is better to discover it now.

In one case I discovered that the PO had relined the PTO clutch plate (or had it done) The PTO slipped under load even when adjusted to exert considerable pressure on the plate. The problem was that a very hard lining material had been used which was not suitable for the application.

Hope this helps.

Andy

Free Range

Thanks Andy, that helps a lot, I will make that a priority to check that out.

dsholler

Not quite sure if this PTO is the same as the one on my 414, but I have had problems with it slipping because the clip that holds the PTO onto the stub shaft (the thing that the yoke assembly is attached to) can pop out of the groove. In my case, this was happening because the front bearing was getting worn and caused it to slow up a bit. If I tightened up the pressure, it would not make any difference. the reason this was hard to deal with was that when you disengaged the PTO the yoke pulling on the shaft caused the c-clip to pop back into the groove, so whenever I looked at the thing it appeared to be all correct.

The good news is it is pretty easy to take the whole thing apart. One other thing I found was that there is an oil seal on the back of it to keep the grease in the main bearing, and if that gets worn it throws grease onto the driven disk.

Don1977

Also check the snap rings on the short shaft that the loop is attached to.  If that out side snap ring is out of the groove the PTO can not be adjusted. I have also had to replace the ball bearing that the short shaft is attached to as it had worn with to much side movement.