Sign in to follow this  
Marv

D200 Front axle Refurb

Marv

Working on refurbishing the front axle on my D200. Have bushed the spindle and center pivot bores. Sincewheel bearings are so hard to get / Expensive I am planning to reconfigure the wheels and use trailer hubs. Northern Tool has 4 bolt hubs with a 1" bearing and four bolt pattern for the wheel. They also have wheels to fit the hub which will accept the standard D200 front tires. Not sure just how this will work out. Will see.

Marvin

chrisd200(inactive)

Keep us D owners informed :) would like to know how it turns out!!!

otrelwood

getting the right offset for the wheels is the tough part

wheeledhorseman

Marvin, it would be great if you could post some pics of what you've done / how you did it, problems overcome etc.

It's how we all learn a bit more about looking after our Ds.

Andy.

Marv

Received the Wheels and hubs today. I did a quick fit up and looks like they will work fine. I will have to make a spacer to go on the axle which will also be the surface for the seal to ride on. I think with that the fit will be almost exactly like the original. These wheels are painted bright white. Not my preference as I prefer something close to original. The finish looks good so I think I will not repaint them.

Marvin

chrisd200(inactive)

Sounds good Marvin. try to get us some pics when finished. I want to see how the bright white looks

73-18 automatic

Did this to my D and it worked really good I can get some pics if you need.

Marv

post-5287-0-91789000-1367678368.jpgpost-5287-0-91789000-1367678368.jpgpost-5287-0-07342500-1367678450.jpgUpdate:        

post-5287-0-34718900-1367678417.jpg

• Like 1

KC9KAS

Marv, that looks really nice. My D200 front-end needs attention too.

I need to do something like this to mine.

Great job and thanks for the photos.

Did you make "new" spindels or re-do the old ones?

Just what else did you have to do to make it work?

chrisd200(inactive)

Looks just awesome!!!!!! You have done a great job with this! What about where the spindle goes into the axle? Mine has a lot of wear there? Any thoughts?

Don1977

That looks great you won't have any problems with that. I did similar to my C-120 I had to change the spindles and used the 3500 # 5 lug wheels  that as 24 years ago. Haven't had to do anything to it since. I had a damaged spindle from a wheel what would not hold the bearing tight.

tractorbeast

Working on refurbishing the front axle on my D200. Have bushed the spindle and center pivot bores. Sincewheel bearings are so hard to get / Expensive I am planning to reconfigure the wheels and use trailer hubs. Northern Tool has 4 bolt hubs with a 1" bearing and four bolt pattern for the wheel. They also have wheels to fit the hub which will accept the standard D200 front tires. Not sure just how this will work out. Will see.

Marvin

Marv, I just happened upon your post. It seems the D series has the same 1" front spindle size as the C-195. Could you explain the OEM bearing issues. Can they not be purchased? I will need to replace mine I believe. Do You have a parts list for your procedure.

Marv

Thank you all for your comments.

It will be a while before I get the whole front end of the tractor back together as I have the engine, front grill frame, and other things apart. When it is all back together I will take a picture showing the wheels installed.

The procedure went like this:

I had the axle center pivot and spindle bores reamed and full length bushings installed (my friend has a machine shop and he is good).

I installed new spindles (I have had those for a while). With a full length bushing, used spindles should work ok if they are not excessively worn.

Since the axles are 1" and have no shoulder for a seal to ride on and the hubs are shorter than the axle I used spacers to set the wheel in position on the axle so I could preload the tapered bearings. This takes a little care as the spacers were 1" long and needed to be precisely fit. Trial and error length adjustment. These spacers also act as the surface for the hub seal to ride on.The spacers are bronze from McMasters-Carr part # 6381K212.

The hubs came from Northern Tool,  item # 57204.

The wheels also came from Northern Tool, Item # 1226. With the new tires mounted on the wheels they look good.

It is worth noting that the wheel offset with the set up I used fit perfectly.

Marvin

• Like 2

Marv

Tractorbeast,

The thing with the OEM bearings is there is no other supplier for that bearing. Consequently, the price is 65.00 or more. Doing what I did cost less and bearings in these hubs are quite standard.

Marvin

chrisd200(inactive)

Awesome Marvin!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Great job and thanks for all of the info!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!