Sign in to follow this  
traktorkidd7/30/93

BIG Engine Horses

traktorkidd7/30/93

Anyone have a big engine "horse" that just drinks gas? B)

Or do you have any tricks to make it not be as bad? :whistle:

I heard that the Onans weren't as bad...Is that true? B)

Duff

Anyone have a big engine "horse" that just drinks gas? B)

Or do you have any tricks to make it not be as bad? B)

I heard that the Onans weren't as bad...Is that true? B)

Hi, Chris,

I've only got a Kohler M12, but I think this question was covered a few weeks ago. These tired eyes can't find the thread (just went back six pages....). As I recall, and the pros will have much more knowledge than I, the biggest thing was to make sure the engine was well tuned up and the carb and air cleaner kept very clean. Guys?

Duff :whistle:

Jim_M

Just keep it well tuned and the air filter clean so it runs as efficiently as it can.

I have 2 Onans, a 16 horse on a 416-H and a 20 horse on 520-H and like any twin cyl. they use a lot of gas. I can say with absolute certainty that the 416 uses much more gas than a C-160.

nylyon

My 416 seems to use about the same as the Kohler in the 414 uses. I never thought that the big Onan used an excessive amount of gas. I haven't used the C-160 enough to compare with that one though.

Rideawaysenior

Just keep it tuned well and that air cleaner needs to be clean. I've had most of the engines at one time or another and they all were good on gas. The most stingy is my Suburban 551. It seems to use so little gas.

Fronk

My Onan 20 in the Allis 720 does well on gas

Curmudgeon

"drinks" gas is a relative term. What is stingy to one, might be a fuel hog to another.

Remember, we are talking about flatheads here. As a rule, not an efficient, not a clean burning, engine type.

oldandred

I just got a new riding mower last year its four more hp than the old one had from 15.5 to 20 hp with the same deck 42" and the 20 hp I can cut the yard four times and the 15.5 only one and a half so go figure the biger the less gas What yep thats the truth O there both briggs engines Im not saying what there on cause Dale will be on me for a year at least the new one is red :banana:

Curmudgeon

I just got a new riding mower last year its four more hp than the old one had from 15.5 to 20 hp with the same deck 42" and the 20 hp I can cut the yard four times and the 15.5 only one and a half so go figure the biger the less gas What yep thats the truth O there both briggs engines Im not saying what there on cause Dale will be on me for a year at least the new one is red :banana:

Is that new one a flathead? OR is it like most new engines today, an overhead cam with it's inherent greater efficiency?

Remember also exactly what I said, "as a rule" means there are always going to be exceptions!!

BPjunk

BIG engine Horses!

Jus' HOW BIG are we talkin' 'bout??? B)B):whistle:

Wild Bill in Richmond, Va.

Attached Image

post-3-1218328145.jpg

traktorkidd7/30/93

B) idk 14+

hodge

I have limited experience- a B-80 vs. a 520. I could mow close to 4 times on a tank of fuel in the 80, and about a time and a half on the 520. It certainly takes more fuel, but it does mow more, and is nicer to operate. I have a couple of acres to mow, and I can feel the difference in my wallet.

sshell

I mow 4 acres with a Work Horse GT-1142 with a 42" side discharge deck. It has a single cyl. 11 horse briggs. I also use a, sorry guy's, B) J.D. 245 with a 14 horse single cyl. Kawasaki engine and a 48" deck. Both are good on gas but the Work Horse will use about a gallon less fuel to do the job. Thats even with the extra half hour run time because of the smaller deck. With todays fuel prices I have been using the Horse alot more then the Deere. :whistle:

Nick

Cant say I remember what the 520H did for fuel usage. Now the "other" brand I used with a 20hp Onan could burn between 1 and 1.5 gallons an hour depending on the load it was under but that was with a 72" deck and hydro drive full time 4x4.

Curmudgeon

Cant say I remember what the 520H did for fuel usage. Now the "other" brand I used with a 20hp Onan could burn between 1 and 1.5 gallons an hour depending on the load it was under but that was with a 72" deck and hydro drive full time 4x4.

That's about what I figured, though I never measured exactly, what the Onan 20 horse twin burned. It's also about what the Kohler Magnum 16 burned, as well as the K-301. Been a while, but I think the K-241 was in about the same range, maybe slightly less.

Docwheelhorse

My C165 burns about 5 quarts an hour running full tilt with a 42" deck, My 520-8 at just above an idle burns the same amount DOING NOTHING BUT MOVE THE TRACTOR AND TURNING THE HYDRAULIC PUMP FOR THE LOADER. My 520 is TERRIBLE on gas. If you want the most fuel effcient unit out there get something with an 8 and tune it up--I could run a 36" deck at full tilt for about 3 quarts of fuel an hour....

Tony

FrankinWNY

B) My B-80 with the 10HP Diesel conversion powering a 48" deck cuts 5 1/2" acres of 4 different lots on about 2 gallons of Diesel Fuel. Takes about 3 hours with all the trees, buildings and flower beds to go around. When I use the C-160 with the same deck I use 4 1/2 to 5 gallons of gas to do the same amount. Frank in WNY :horseplay: