Sign in to follow this  
4hokies

Repair Spindle on 48" Mower Deck

4hokies

I've got a 520H with a 48" mower deck.  One of the spindles has broken at the flange, so now I only have three mounting bolts instead of four.  Has anyone tried to weld these? (I have the both pieces)  Is the housing cast aluminum or cast iron?  These are nearly $70 new, so I'm try to save some money.

Cable

Everyone that I have seen with missing bolt holes also had a bent shaft.  You may want to remove the shaft and make sure it is straight.  I lay mine on a joiner table a watch to see if it rolls one way or another. I now have a good deck with the same issue. 

The spindle housing plus shaft makes repair rather costly.  I hope to find a junked deck to get needed parts.

4hokies

Thanks for the tip, I'll check the shaft.

Regardless of the shaft, It still might be cheaper to weld the housing rather than replace it.

can whlvr

ive ran some with only 3 holes,it worked for years till i got a parts deck and replaced it

BOWTIE

THE HOUSING IS ALUMINUM. IF IT CAN BE WELD THAT WOULD BE GREAT. IF NOT ROTATE IT WITH THE LEFT OUTER, THERE WILL BE LESS LOAD ON THAT ONE. ARE THE 3 GOOD MOUNTING HOLES STILL GOOD AND SOLID? I HAVE RAN A 3 BOLT MOUNTING FOR QUITE A FEW YEARS WITH NO PROBLEM.

BOWTIE IN OHIO

4hokies

Bowtie - Thanks for the info

Tankman

I have a couple of decks with spindle flanges eaten (corrosion) away, have been working fine for a few years.

I was thinking of a flange w/ matching threaded bolt (mounting) pattern. Longer mounting bolts, clearance hole for the shaft assembly housing in the center. The flange would slide down over the spindle. Any thoughts?

Further corrosion has stopped 'cause I clean and park the Horses indoors. My herd was all second hand, poor outdoor housing, bad condition. Took a lot of elbow grease and Horse liniment to get 'em up and out to pasture. Who would treat a thoroughbred Stallion so poorly?

While discussing decks, any easy way to install the 48" SD deck spindle belt? Always gives me a pain in the you-know-what! Retired, additional pains I can live without. :smile:

Guess I was cryin' before I was hurt. Put new belt on, ten minutes. Like duh!

Don1977

The grass deteriorating on the aluminum eats them away. I started painting mine last spring when I cleaned  and repainted the under side of my deck. I just used Rust-oleum primer and paint that I had. Epoxy would be a lot better as I think it would last longer. I will get some epoxy before I do it again. Some of the paint was worn off the  deck in spots last fall I will touch up before installing the deck.

Forest Road

I have some good used spindles available. PM me for info.