Sign in to follow this  
Mike333

About to buy a Wheel Horse Work Horse GT 1100, any advice???

Mike333

I like the bar tires with some extra weight on my 312-8.

I used truf tires with chains on my GT1142 before then switched to the bar tires and some extra weight.

It's much easier on the paved driveway which has steep and flat sections.

I got one of the heavy hitches for my 312-8 and we made a weight bracket that slips in it with some 40 lb suitcase weights.

When I need the tractor to move one of my trailers I just slip a 2" receiver drawbar with a hitchball in it.

I do use chains on my GT14 when using a turning plow to plow gardens.

Don't think I'd go back to turf tires and chains for plowing snow or on my blower tractor.

Thanks ThreeHorses, That's a really great weight bracket yall made up, Looks like I might have to see if I can make one at my shop, New Project Time!!!! Thanks again for the great tips and info!

• Like 1

kaiser

so...what time are you leaving tomorrow to go get it? think you'll get any sleep tonight.

i know i was like a kid on christmas eve the night before i went on the journey to pick up mine.

i get addicted to machinery very quickly (old aircooled vw's, newer water cooled vw's, vintage radio control, modern r/c helicopters, planes and race cars, surplus rifles, and now wheel horse's).

i'm already planning a new shed to house my soon to grow collection of implements and more then likely more tractors.

• Like 1

Mike333

so...what time are you leaving tomorrow to go get it? think you'll get any sleep tonight.

i know i was like a kid on christmas eve the night before i went on the journey to pick up mine.

i get addicted to machinery very quickly (old aircooled vw's, newer water cooled vw's, vintage radio control, modern r/c helicopters, planes and race cars, surplus rifles, and now wheel horse's).

i'm already planning a new shed to house my soon to grow collection of implements and more then likely more tractors.

I'm the same way you are, easily addicted to machinery,I work with some really old lathes for a living, and yeah I do feel like a kid on Christmas eve!!!!! I would love to see some pics of your VW's, my best friend who passed away some years ago had a really nice collection of them, they were always fun to work on! He had a 69-70 micro bus that we were both real fond of. I gotta get up super early to go and get it, it is about and hour and a half from my place so I get to take a nice ride in the country with my Dad to go get it.

kaiser

edit: was trying to post pics of my vw's but my pics are all a mess right now and the sizing is all weird.

my buddy and i drove about 2 hours one way to pick up mine, it was a fun day.

Mike333

Well I got the Horse today boy's, she is in real good shape and runs smooth, jus a little TLC and it will be tip top, I gotta replace the anti scalping roller on the front of the deck but other than that it's just some polishing and some scrubbing!!!!

kaiser

Very cool, congrats Mike!

kaiser

we need some pics mike!

Mike333

I will try to get some pics up soon, but in the meantime my profile pic is the tractor I bought

kaiser

not good enough! :banana-jumprope:

billythegoat
On 3/27/2013 at 9:13 PM, Mike333 said:

I am thinking about buying a 1984 GT1100 in really great shape, runs smooth, no rust, original paint, mower deck and plow. I did some research and didn't really come up with much info, other than they were only made for 4 years, 80-84, and that they all came with Briggs engines. I am just looking for some info, and whether or not this is something to stay away from. This will be my first Wheel Horse and I don't want to get ahold of something I can't get parts for, Thanks

I have one and I like it, wish it had more power though! still nice piece of equipment.

• Like 1

rjg854

:WRS: @billythegoat  I see you've recently joined our little community.  I'm not sure if you noticed or not, but the thread you responded to is from 2013.  Still glad tho that you like your tractor, and we would sure like to see some :text-coolphotos: of it.  Pictures speak 1000 words they say ;)  doesn't matter if they are dirty crusty rusty or looking brand spankin' new.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

johnnymag3
13 minutes ago, rjg854 said:

:WRS: @billythegoat  I see you've recently joined our little community.  I'm not sure if you noticed or not, but the thread you responded to is from 2013.  Still glad tho that you like your tractor, and we would sure like to see some :text-coolphotos: of it.  Pictures speak 1000 words they say ;)  doesn't matter if they are dirty crusty rusty or looking brand spankin' new.

WHAT HE SAID  !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!     :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

peter lena

@Mike333 make it reliable and useful , pete

• Like 1

Maxwell-8
4 hours ago, billythegoat said:

wish it had more power though

In which job is it lacking power?

billythegoat
20 hours ago, rjg854 said:

billythegoat

Didn't see that 2013 thing, sorry my computer skills are not as might be expected....and my saying "i wish my GT 1100 had more power means I'm an amateur tractor user and expect too many miracles.,  I make "dirt" for my gardens so I mix dirt, manure etc. in batches using my tractor. I hope to become more engaged with the club when I have more  free time....latest idea  is setting up a trailer hitch using my quick release. I need to move my trailer to move bigger things around the yard. I hope that guy enjoys his GT1100 I certainly like mine. Thanks and your advice is always welcome.