Sign in to follow this  
Mike333

About to buy a Wheel Horse Work Horse GT 1100, any advice???

Mike333

I am thinking about buying a 1984 GT1100 in really great shape, runs smooth, no rust, original paint, mower deck and plow. I did some research and didn't really come up with much info, other than they were only made for 4 years, 80-84, and that they all came with Briggs engines. I am just looking for some info, and whether or not this is something to stay away from. This will be my first Wheel Horse and I don't want to get ahold of something I can't get parts for, Thanks

• Like 1

oldredrider

Mike, A GT-1100 was the first Wheel Horse I owned. Key word: "first". Still have it today along with about six others. The only "bad thing" I can say about is...it started my addiction! Parts are easy to find because it's basically a "C" series with a "300" series body.

The 11Hp Briggs has enough power to swing a 42" deck, a snow blower or turn plow. Don't be scared.

If the price is right, go for it but make room for more!

• Like 1

Marv

Mike,

The Gt1100 is the same tractor as the C series. Main difference is the Briggs engine.Condition as described will make a good tractor for you.

Marvin

• Like 1

Mike333

Mike, A GT-1100 was the first Wheel Horse I owned. Key word: "first". Still have it today along with about six others. The only "bad thing" I can say about is...it started my addiction! Parts are easy to find because it's basically a "C" series with a "300" series body.

The 11Hp Briggs has enough power to swing a 42" deck, a snow blower or turn plow. Don't be scared.

If the price is right, go for it but make room for more!

Thanks for the great input, I feel a ton better about picking this one up, Can't wait to get it!! Looking foward to owning a Wheel Horse!

!!

Mike333

Mike,

The Gt1100 is the same tractor as the C series. Main difference is the Briggs engine.Condition as described will make a good tractor for you.

Marvin

Thanks Marv!!! I will try post some pics of it soon, she's a real beauty, The gentleman who I am buying it from took really good care of it.

dbartlett1958

Mike,

Welcome to Red Square. 

• Like 1

Wheelhorse84

Welcome aboard.

• Like 1

Mike333

Mike,

Welcome to Red Square

Mike,

Welcome to Red Square. 

Hey thanks for the welcome! What a great site, looking forward to talkin Horses and learning all I can.

Mike333

Welcome aboard.

Why thank you, I really appreciate all the positive posts i am getting, you guy's have a really great page here, and from what I have seen really great members also!!! I am proud to be part of it!

kaiser

i just bought a nice gt1600 two weeks ago, great tractor. you'll love it.

i've been using the heck out of it.

welcome aboard from one noob to another. this forum is fantastic!

• Like 1

Mike333

i just bought a nice gt1600 two weeks ago, great tractor. you'll love it.

i've been using the heck out of it.

welcome aboard from one noob to another. this forum is fantastic!

Thank you sir!!! It really is great, it's nice to have such possitive input from so many people, have fun with your new Horse, I get to go get mine Saturday, and I can hardly wait, wish I would have bought one years ago!

grinchsr

BUY IT!!    I HAD 2 AT ONE POINT AND WOULD HAVE NO PROBLEM PICKING UP ANOTHER.  I WAS ALSO PUSHING SNOW WITH THEM WITH NO PROBLEM

• Like 1

KATO

WELCOME to RED SQUARE

• Like 1

Mike333

Just wondering if I will need chains and weights, it has v tread ag tires on the rear

BUY IT!!    I HAD 2 AT ONE POINT AND WOULD HAVE NO PROBLEM PICKING UP ANOTHER.  I WAS ALSO PUSHING SNOW WITH THEM WITH NO PROBLEM

Sparky

Just wondering if I will need chains and weights, it has v tread ag tires on the rear

You will definitly want weights if your planning on pushing snow, chains maybe. Is your driveway steep?

I personally prefer turf type tires with weights for plowing. I had a pair of weighted 8.50 ag's once but they never gripped like the weighted turfs do.

Mike..........

• Like 1

Jake Kuhn

:WRS:

• Like 1

Marv

Mike,

I almost feel sorry for you. Now you are hooked. Addiction is hard to overcome.

Marvin

• Like 1

Mike333

Yes you are right Marv, I am ADDICTED!!! Just loving it, I cant wait to start restoring things on it, thats the fun part for me is having a GREAT macine to tinker with, you know how it goes,paint a piece here, replace a piece there, good times....

Mike333

You will definitly want weights if your planning on pushing snow, chains maybe. Is your driveway steep?

I personally prefer turf type tires with weights for plowing. I had a pair of weighted 8.50 ag's once but they never gripped like the weighted turfs do.

Mike..........

I have a nice flat blacktop drive, I guess I should pick up a set of turf tires and weights for it also, I want to try to not use chains if I don't have to as they are sorta rough on the blacktop, but if I gotta use them then oh well I guess. Good lookin out on the tire tips! Thanks!

Wheel-N-It

Congragulations. It won't be long before you have a whole collection of them!

• Like 1

Mike333

Nice collection Jake, I really like that 401 dualie ya got there

• Like 1

ThreeHorses

?do=embed' frameborder='0' data-embedContent>

I like the bar tires with some extra weight on my 312-8.

?do=embed' frameborder='0' data-embedContent>

I used truf tires with chains on my GT1142 before then switched to the bar tires and some extra weight.

It's much easier on the paved driveway which has steep and flat sections.

I got one of the heavy hitches for my 312-8 and we made a weight bracket that slips in it with some 40 lb suitcase weights.

When I need the tractor to move one of my trailers I just slip a 2" receiver drawbar with a hitchball in it.

I do use chains on my GT14 when using a turning plow to plow gardens.

Don't think I'd go back to turf tires and chains for plowing snow or on my blower tractor.

• Like 1

ericj

i use ag tires on my mostly flat drive with no chains, works good for me

eric

ps i do have wheel weights on all of my workers

• Like 1

6wheeler

And yet, another poor soul sucked into the fray. Seriously, I don't think you guys did enough to save him. You all fully well know it starts with one. Lord help us all. :ychain:  :ychain:  :ychain: . Welcome to Red Square. You will love the tractor. Good Luck with it.

• Like 2

Mike333

And yet, another poor soul sucked into the fray. Seriously, I don't think you guys did enough to save him. You all fully well know it starts with one. Lord help us all. :ychain:  :ychain:  :ychain: . Welcome to Red Square. You will love the tractor. Good Luck with it.

Thanks 6wheeler! I'm sitting here laughing my butt off at this post, I thought I got a good deal on the Horse, but all these new friends just makes the deal sweeter! Thanks again for the warm welcome :)

i use ag tires on my mostly flat drive with no chains, works good for me

eric

ps i do have wheel weights on all of my workers

Right on! Thanks Eric!