Sign in to follow this  
Jake Kuhn

rj25?

Jake Kuhn

Hi all,

Does anyone here own a real rj25 from the factory? Just curious if there are any out there as I have never seen pictures of a real one?

Jake

stevebo

Jake,

We have a member here in CT that is making a clone and is going all out to make it as correct as possible. He did a lot of reserach on what thy are suppose to be. I look forward to seeing it at the show this year.

CasualObserver

They are really out there Jake, but they're hen's teeth.  And since they are so hard to find (because there are so very few true survivors that have been found) people have made fakes to emulate them.  I don't think any of our active members have one (or they've not disclosed it in our six year history).

CasualObserver

I take that back....  this member never completed his story. 

buckrancher

Bill P.told me once  that he knows of only one real original RJ25 and I don't remember where it was 

Brian

AMC RULES

If anyone finds one...let me know.   :)

VinsRJ

I have been told there is one in Michigan by a very well respected RJ guy.

Jake Kuhn

I have been told there is one in Michigan by a very well respected RJ guy.

Joe?

smokin joe

There are actually 2 in michigan that I know of.One still has the cable steer and fiberglass hood.I havent seen it in person but the fella sent me pictures of it when I ran an ad in LAGC magazine.Hes had it for 40 years or so but we couldnt come together on a price....

• Like 1

Jake Kuhn

Can you put pictures on here Joe? I've never seen pictures of a real one.

stevasaurus

Cool site Gerry...thanks :)

55rj35jr

The closest I've seen is the early rj35 cable steer like mine,I've seen two others one owned by Clay(rj35hunter) and the other owned by horses mouth author Michael Martino

rydogg

That RJ25 looks like an 1955 RJ35 with the tank stand, I am assuming since the RJ25 did not have a hole in the hood for a fuel tank it must have the fuel tank on the engine?   Would the RJ25 still have a tank stand? Pretty sure the one pictured on the website above is a RJ35 but since I have not seen or researched much about an RJ25 so I could be wrong.

1955 RJ35 tank stand

ebay1311.jpg

can whlvr

not too go off subject but what a collection the r&b is :wicked:  :bow-blue:  :bow-blue:  :bow-blue:

VinsRJ

That RJ25 looks like an 1955 RJ35 with the tank stand, I am assuming since the RJ25 did not have a hole in the hood for a fuel tank it must have the fuel tank on the engine?   Would the RJ25 still have a tank stand? Pretty sure the one pictured on the website above is a RJ35 but since I have not seen or researched much about an RJ25 so I could be wrong.

1955 RJ35 tank stand

ebay1311.jpg

That is correct... the RJ25 did not have a tank stand. The RJ25 also used a Birggs & Stratton Model 8 motor (2.5hp) and did not have the forward swept exhaust. It only had the stock screw in Briggs muffler. 

dbartlett1958

Hi all,

Does anyone here own a real rj25 from the factory? Just curious if there are any out there as I have never seen pictures of a real one?

Jake

Jake,

Sounds a lot like "Bigfoot".  They are out there somewhere, but nobody has proof.

Just kidding of coarse.

rydogg

1955 RJ35 tank stand

ebay1311.jpg

That is correct... the RJ25 did not have a tank stand. The RJ25 also used a Birggs & Stratton Model 8 motor (2.5hp) and did not have the forward swept exhaust. It only had the stock screw in Briggs muffler. 

So the one listed on the above website is actually an RJ35.

VinsRJ

"So the one listed on the above website is actually an RJ35."

IMO, "Yes" that is a RJ35.

stevebo

I believe that the only reason there was a tank stand is because when Pond bought the clinton 1200 engines they came with the gas tank mounted on the engine. They used those tanks on the early RJ 35's by building the tank stand to mount them. As Vin said the RJ25 used a Briggs motor hense no tank stands were built.

post-734-0-85628900-1364518061.jpg

post-734-0-30213900-1364518146_thumb.jpg

chevelletown

Here are a few pics of a real rj25 taken at Mentone a few years ago

IMG_0022_zps731ba58b.jpg

IMG_0020_zps15a321a1.jpg

IMG_0021_zps43f7a3b0.jpg

• Like 5

chevelletown

Here is the hood for one that Pat Stair and I are cleaning up

rj25hood_zps027806c1.jpg

VinsRJ

Just a point of interest for you... when doing my research on RJ25s and talking to a number of well known RJ guys... as mentioned there was no fuel filler hole in the hood or tank traps... but the RJ25's hood did get the larger style or early style engine "kill switch" hole... that way you could depress the Briggs grounding tab without reaching under the hood.

Another thing I notice is that the Briggs Model 8 on that tractor has a couple interesting things: 1) it looks to be an air vane gov. motor instead of a machanincal gov. 2) it has the non 90 degree air cleaner elbow carb 3) it has an original offset fuel tank bracket. 

The RJ25 above has all of the correct points from what I have been told.

Really cool, thanks for sharing!

stevebo

Another point on this that I am seeing. My very early rj35 has a solid rod going from the brake pedal the brake"shoe". I notice on the RJ25 they used a cable. The later 55's went back to the cable as well. Makes me wonder if mine is original or if the cable was replaced at some point in history?

post-734-0-83430400-1364557015_thumb.jpg

post-734-0-95015200-1364557182_thumb.jpg

post-734-0-06816200-1364557270_thumb.jpg

post-734-0-57979000-1364557400_thumb.jpg