Sign in to follow this  
kaiser

york rake

coolhandblack

after looking at some others that you guys have made, as soon as the weather warms up I think I will do some modifying to mine. The rake is actually bolts and whoever made it welded the head of the bolt to the frame, well several fell of when I used it on the gravel or when it got hung up on roots. I think I will cut them off and weld the shaft of the bolt to the frame so they wont go anywhere. I think I will add a brace for some weights as well.

kaiser

i was thinking about your rake and the rake juss posted. i thought what if you used grade 8 bolts, with two nuts. drill holes across the boxed steel, then you add and subtract tines easily.

JUSS10

That would probably work, but you would need a bolt with really long threads to make it work if you did the bolt top down with the threads in the ground. The threads would also get beat up pretty badly. Now, if you would do the opposite (which now I'm thinking is what you meant) and cut off the bolt heads and have the "head" of the bolt in the ground and then the threads go through the frame with a nut on either side that may work. However, grade 8 bolts of that size and length would likely be a few bucks a piece and that is a lot of money stuck into the tines. For me, its just been easier to cut a new section of steel rod, cut my welds with an angle grinder then weld a new one back up. It does take more time and effort but costs much less in my case. But if you have access to bolts it would be a lot quicker change out and yeah, you have the ability to choose how many you have in contact with the ground. I like it!

Justin

JUSS10

rakewithbolts_zps0105eda7.jpg

rakewithboltsbottom_zps1f12b67b.jpg

kaiser

pretty much what i was thinking, adding some cross braces and maybe a shelf like your first drawing.

you're fast. lol

JUSS10

well i sit in front of a cad computer all day long so its pretty easy for me to quick draw something up

ce318

I would consider a 4x5 drag harrow the chain link style. Works great for thatching as well here in Oregon they are common and can be ordered from most farm stores about$ 200.00 new

woodbird007

I've been thinking about making a simple "dump rake" type dethatcher. I like the ideas that you guys discussed/shown. Hey 953, do you remember how much those tines were that you bought to make yours?

Thanks, Jim

woodbird007

Justin, do you have any problems with yours clogging?

Thanks,

Jim

JUSS10

Well I guess it "clogs" but its a rake so it's supposed to pick stuff up so I guess I'm confused by what you are asking. If too much junk builds up I life the rake, it cleans off easy, drop it and keep going. Works quite well. I've cleared quite a bit of ivy with my rake.

953 nut

I've been thinking about making a simple "dump rake" type dethatcher. I like the ideas that you guys discussed/shown. Hey 953, do you remember how much those tines were that you bought to make yours?

Thanks, Jim

The tines are $3.99 each from Agri supply.com, part #33913. While you are on the site check out the belts and garden tractor parts, well priced and a good selection. I will be using the rake in the next day or two and will post a photo on this topic.

:USA: 

953 nut

post-8798-0-43671200-1367021410_thumb.jppost-8798-0-63895400-1367021430_thumb.jppost-8798-0-92869400-1367021444_thumb.jpGot out in the garden today and took a couple of photos of my home made rake, tines are from Agri Supply. The tong is   2" X 1/2" steel flat stock that I cut down to 3/8 thick to fit the slot hitch. The rest is just 2"angle iron and 1" X 1/8" flat strap.  :USA: 

• Like 1