Sign in to follow this  
Tankman

48" Deck Rehab

Tankman

The 48" deck on the '90 520-8 I've been working on is a spare I had in the barn.

The Horses deck when I purchased it "was the pits." I'm reworking that deck (image below) little by little. I tried the deck for a short while, spindles are fine. Cleaned 'n greased, ready to mow.

Hardware, wheel axles, blades, and patching some rotted areas. Here's a peek-a-boo at work in progress. Patch is bolted, new SS bolts w/ locking nuts. Then I'll MIG the patch to the original deck. A through cleanup and (I just happen to have a gallon of IH red that'll do for now) a paint job. Of course a new drive belt.

I have the belt guards that'll be sanded / sand blasted and painted too.

After each use I always rinse decks off, underneath and on top. Decks are dried usin' my backpack blower and then the Stallion is allowed back in the barn. I guess, semi-retired, I have too much time on my hands. :smile:

• Like 1

4hokies

Looks good.  I'm working on re-doing my 48" deck off my 520H right now.  Been putting it off for a long time.

coldone

Just got done with mine. Took awhile cause i wouldnt pay oem prices. Lots of ebay surfing. I installed it Saturday and gave it a test run, Nice and smooth now. Hardly a sound.

Tankman

Looks good.  I'm working on re-doing my 48" deck off my 520H right now.  Been putting it off for a long time.

The deck I'm reworking was a spare. I put another one on the 520-8 which is rebuilt. Works great.

The 520-8 sat outdoors for two years when I rescued this poor Stallion a few months ago. Running great today and a chrome WH muffler guard shipped to me today. The Horsey can't wait to wear it! Deck decals I'll order from the Vinyl Guy, Attach-A-Matic decals shipped today.

Now, I'll use this one on my 416-8. I also have an unused, 42" SD that, while I'm at it, I'll keep going and rehab the spare although I don't need it. It is in better shape than the 48" I'm restoring now.

I bolt patches on trying to use stock locations and more often than not SS hardware and Never-Seez® on threads. I remove the parts after welding for painting. It never ends! :smile:

• Like 1

Whmaverick

Looks good Tankman, should be good for a long time. I got my tiller done, now on to my 48" deck restore, I like the 42" RD's but got a sweet deal on this 48" SD, so I tore it down sent it to the blaster and all the parts are in primer waiting its turn.

AMC RULES

Looks like you now have it ready for many more years of faithful :wh: service.   :thumbs: 

Tankman

I have six decks, I think all of 'em have MIG'd on patches.

The oldest deck on my '68 Raider 12 turned out great, thank goodness! I love that Horse!

Of course, my '73 "No Name" 12 hp Automatic loves to mow with his deck. This Auto makes me wonder (?) "how" does it work so well? I've owned a number of WH's, all but this "No Name" are / were standard trans.

I like mowin' with the "No Name" 12 hp Auto Stallion.

Tomorrow I'm expecting the SS muffler shield for the '90 520-8. Will post pic's! Whoopie! :smile:

Needed that for (?), guess I just wanted one (or two).

Kevbo

Nice Tankman! It's good to hear I am not the only one working on decks right now! I currently have three decks completely stripped apart and primed after e-tanking or wire wheeling ready to be given the coat of red they deserve before reassembling. Gotta keep these decks preserved!

I bought a six pack of POR15 black gloss that I have on the bottom of my 37 inch SD and boy did that paint turn nice and hard. I got some on my hands and it has not come off with ANYTHING...apprently the paint is so good that I have to "wear it off"!!

Tankman

Nice Tankman! It's good to hear I am not the only one working on decks right now! I currently have three decks completely stripped apart and primed after e-tanking or wire wheeling ready to be given the coat of red they deserve before reassembling. Gotta keep these decks preserved!

I bought a six pack of POR15 black gloss that I have on the bottom of my 37 inch SD and boy did that paint turn nice and hard. I got some on my hands and it has not come off with ANYTHING...apprently the paint is so good that I have to "wear it off"!!

Never tried POR15. I'm going to give it a try.

Once I rehab a Horse, deck, implement, it (they) are always cleaned before goin' back in my barn. :smile: